Feaure Request for multiple file selection

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
wince

Feaure Request for multiple file selection

Post by wince »

A new feature I would like added if at all possible is the ability to select multiple files or all files whilst in the rename original files window.

As an example, say I add 10 files then match. Now I want to remove all files from the list, I have to either select each one individually or quit the app and start again.

The same applies if I add 10 files then match and I want to remove 4 of the files from the list. I have to manually select each once to delete as I can't select multiple.

I'm running Filebot on Mac OSX 12.6.3
rednoah
The Source

Re: Feaure Request for multiple file selection

Post by rednoah »

wince wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 06:54 As an example, say I add 10 files then match. Now I want to remove all files from the list, I have to either select each one individually or quit the app and start again.
:arrow: You'll want to use the Image Clear All button the clear the Original Files and New Names list items.

wince wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 06:54 The same applies if I add 10 files then match and I want to remove 4 of the files from the list. I have to manually select each once to delete as I can't select multiple.
:arrow: You'll want to press the DELETE key on your keyboard to delete individual items rapidly.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
wince

Post by wince »

Thanks I never noticed the clear all button.
As for deleting partial files, I would still need to select then delete, select then delete, select then delete and select then delete as I can't select multiple files and delete them at once
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The typical works flow is to use the UP and DOWN keys to navigate through the list as you are double-checking the results, and hitting the DELETE key to remove items as we go along. DELETE will auto-select the next item, so you can just hit the DELETE key in rapid succession to delete many items.

:?: I don't see how "SHIFT-CLICK one item after another, then click the Image button" could possibly be faster or more satisfying than just using the keyboard. That said, a point could be made for the sake of usability, an easy-to-find way of doing things, even if it's not the best way of doing things.

:!: Adding multi-selection support is non-trivial to implement correctly, and adds little to no benefit that I can see over the existing way of doing things, others than having an additional less efficient way of doing things. Especially in the context of deleting items. Adding multi-selection support could allow for new features though, but I can't think of anything useful. In anycase, I would need good reason (ideally multiple reasons that elevate each other) to implement and maintain such a feature.
iamse7en

Post by iamse7en »

I'll give you a use case where it's either delete one at a time or delete all killed me tonight. I am tweaking/renaming my library to better conform to Plex conventions. Dragged all of my TV episodes, did a lot of work getting this list all ready to go, resolving duplicates, etc. Turns out Modern Marvels (where I have about a dozen seasons, but MANY episodes) tweaks their episode number and titles, because it's different than the last time I renamed them via TVDB api a few years ago. Well they're all a mess, and I want to handle them differently (I'll remove the s00e00 info and have Filebot go just off the episode title, which is correct, but the s00e00 is now incorrect after they made many changes over the past few years).

I cannot clear all, as it would undo what is probably 45 minutes of work. I was hoping I could just click on the first Modern Marvels, then shift click down to the last Modern Marvels, but alas, I cannot. I must click that damned delete key 528 times! It took me almost 10 minutes of just hitting the key over and over when it should have only took 5 seconds.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

iamse7en wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 06:00 I must click that damned delete key 528 times! It took me almost 10 minutes of just hitting the key over and over when it should have only took 5 seconds.
:?: Why not just press and hold the DELETE key? I tried with 600 sample files and it takes less than 1 minute of holding the DELETE key to clear them all. Not ideal, but it does take less than a minute and only one keystroke, so not too bad for a rare corner case.

:idea: On another note, I strongly recommend processing shows / series folders one at a time, or at least limit yourself to manageable numbers of files for each batch, and not everything at once. It'll make it more easy to keep track of your progress and get things done step by step.

:idea: I will keep the use case in mind though. We may add some kind of "batch tools" at some point to easily batch modify / delete related Episode items at some point for this and related use cases.