REQ: Ability to save expressions

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
Igor

REQ: Ability to save expressions

Post by Igor »

I think it would be useful to be able to save favorite expressions and access them from a drop down menu or something.

I know you can view your last few used expressions by pressing down in the Episode Format entry but if you start to lose them if you use more than 5 different ones.
Also if they were stored as favorites it would be useful to name them because then you can quickly select the expression you want without having to parse what it does by eye.
rednoah
The Source

Re: REQ: Ability to save expressions

Post by rednoah »

I like that. User defined favourites as well as a catalogue of online favourites. Kinda like in the forum here but integrated. Unfortunately I don't have extra time lately to add new things. Would it help if I increase the limit of stored expressions to more than 5? That would only take seconds.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Igor

Post by Igor »

That's ok. 5 is fine until you have time to implement favorites. I just save them in a text file anyway for safe keeping so I'd probably do that regardless if it was 5 or 10.
part timer

Post by part timer »

Not that anyone asked me, but I think this would be awesome for those of us that use crazy long renaming expressions. To be able to save a short name for each, kind of like profiles would be awesome. Right now I do the same thing, I have a text file that I copy and paste my formats into and out of so I keep it all straight. Good idea.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You could probably save 'profiles' for different tasks as cmdline scripts. Thanks alot for helping me improve the UI but I do get the feeling you could save a lot of time by using CLI/scripting.

You could tag your like this, since ANYTAG is not a binding it'll just error out and not effect anything :D

Code: Select all

{ANYTAG}{n} - {t}
btw saving up to 8 expressions with next release
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
part timer

Post by part timer »

So I was thinking about this and it hit me, I think another advantage to saving and naming these expressions could be when scripting. Like how you changed calling a script down to just the filename of the script, maybe it could be set up so you could say format:Movies or whatever you saved it as instead of having your whole path there. I mean I understand once it's in the script it's not like you're changing it that often maybe, but still, to be able to call up presets like that would be nice and maybe would work better for people like me that use such a long expression.