[Bug] Update wiped all customizations Bah HUMBUG

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
sanjonny

[Bug] Update wiped all customizations Bah HUMBUG

Post by sanjonny »

I just installed the latest update using the installer and all my customizations disappeared.
Of course I had several and cannot remember exactly what they were since I am not a programmer so now I have to figure them out again (names.txt syntax and such)

I believe this is the first time in a very long time this has happened., though I think it is a good idea if it is not already available to be able to back up these settings since I use a few different ones from the drop down list all the time and sometimes they get lost when trying too many changes. It might be a great idea similar to how the names file has our customizations for names, to have a format file where you could click from a drop down list of formats for the tv and movie categories.

So when you chose to right click in the new names box, you could hold shift or control or whatever and access your customized formats.

That would be great for me as sometimes I want to name things into series folders and other stuff goes in a general folder and such.

This is all using the gui inteface.

My text output is below for the console
FileBot 4.1 (r2245)
JNA Native: 4.0.0
MediaInfo: MediaInfoLib - v0.7.69
7-Zip-JBinding: OK
chromaprint-tools: fpcalc version 1.1.0 (C:\Program Files\FileBot\fpcalc.exe)
Extended Attributes: OK
Groovy Engine: 2.3.2
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.7.0_45
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
Done ?(?????)?

Any way to find my old settings without refiguring them out?

Thanks for all the work you do
bonelifer
Power User

Re: [Bug] Update wiped all customizations Bah HUMBUG

Post by bonelifer »

Already answered here by rednoah in another post: http://www.filebot.net/forums/viewtopic ... 9984#p9984
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

In my defense that is answered in a different forum and it does not answer why they are lost. Users probably would like to know if updating is going to wipe their settings, - I would have for sure because at least I could have noted them down.in essence what this did they are still there but might as well be on the moon for the regular user, so according to that thread,I need to downgrade, copy the settings, upgrade and then retype the settings.

Not very user friendly at all and I am technically somewhat literate. For most people that is a major pain and even more supports my suggestions for keeping the formats is a"safety file" like the names file is handled to be able to switch. It's non programmers cannot spit these things out, especially the weirdness of java and it's arguments, and if it's been six months since you figured out how to get it to do what you want, we agree starting all over again.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

4.1 introduces incompatibilities in many aspects: Groovy code, FileBot groovy extensions, xattr format, etc and a namespace change of all classes.

You ask why settings are not available? It's because the namespace change inadvertently affected where the settings are stored. So it's not on purpose but an unintended side effect.

That's why there has been FileBot 4.1 RC1 to RC4 over the last 2 months to find these kind of issues. But since nobody reported this particular issue it made it into the final release.

Feel free to to try future RC releases so we can catch these issues early on. ;)
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

Is there a way to be notified of the RC versions? I typically just wait till filebot tells me its time to update. I noticed browsing thru the forum stuff I had not caught up on that a couple other people had mentioned the same suggestion I had of a way/place to easily switch and backup formats for the gui so obvious great or puny minds think alike and I have no original thoughts :lol:
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

on that same note, is there an easy way to add the forum posts to an RSS feed reader such as feedly. I typically wait until I either find an issue or a new update comes out to see what the latest stuff going on is with the forums but that way I would be more caught up in general.
bonelifer
Power User

Post by bonelifer »

sanjonny wrote:on that same note, is there an easy way to add the forum posts to an RSS feed reader such as feedly. I typically wait until I either find an issue or a new update comes out to see what the latest stuff going on is with the forums but that way I would be more caught up in general.
The atom feed is at: http://www.filebot.net/forums/feed.php
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Best to follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/filebot_renamer
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.