Small cosmetic enhancements

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
part timer

Small cosmetic enhancements

Post by part timer »

Minor I'm sure but here it goes.

I don't know if it would be an improvement or not, but in the right pane would it be possible to have some kind of color separation from the foldername and the filename? Maybe different font colors or a grey shaded background or something? I think it would make things easier sometimes, especially when dealing with a long list and a lot of bindings involved.

Also when dealing with the renaming view it would be nice in my opinion if you could resize the left and right pane manually, so I could have less room on the left and be able to see more on the right instead of scrolling back and forth. I keep finding myself pressing the left and right keyboard keys with no response. If I could drag the left window more left to shrink it and drag the right window bigger, or have that happen automatically when the other is shrunk I think that would be really helpful.

These are cosmetic things, but things I really think would add something to the experience.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Small cosmetic enhancements

Post by rednoah »

1. Highlighting I can do quite easily. What do you think what color would be good?

2. Can't. Took me forever to get those two scrollpanes synchronized properly. If they're not the same size it things go wacky.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
part timer

Post by part timer »

So here is an example of what I meant. This is just a sample with some doubles to lighten my workload of typing, but you can see that if you were scrolling through a long list like this it would be hard skimming back and forth double checking data before pressing the button.

Right now it's something like this and not that hard to get lost in.

N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Wristcutters - A Love Story [2007] [Rated R] [Voted 8.4]\[SD] [352p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [FXG] Wristcutters- A Love Story ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Yes Man [2008] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.2]\[SD] [288p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [NOiR] Yes Man (2008) {1337x}-Noir).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Without a Clue [1988] [Rated ] [Voted 6.0]\[SD] [540p] [XviD] [MP3] [CLUE] Without a Clue.avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Walk the Line [2005] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.1]\[SD] [214p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Walk the Line ([2005]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Underworld - Evolution [2006] [Rated R] [Voted 7.6]\[SD] [238p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Underworld- Evolution ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Untraceable [2008] [Rated R] [Voted 4.9]\[SD] [272p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [iMBT] Untraceable (DVDRip.XViD-iMBT).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Valkyrie [2008] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 7.6]\[SD] [304p] [R5] [XviD] [MP3] [NOiR] Valkyrie (2008) {1337x}-Noir).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Underworld - Rise of the Lycans [2009] [Rated R] [Voted 7.2]\[SD] [272p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [DUQA] Underworld- Rise of the Lycans ([2009].PREMIERE.DVDRIP.XVID.[Eng]-DUQA).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Freedomland [2006] [Rated ] [Voted 9.0]\[SD] [234p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Freedomland ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Live Free or Die Hard [2007] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.2]\[SD] [256p] [XviD] [MP3] Live Free or Die Hard.avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Hannibal Rising [2007] [Rated R] [Voted 7.4]\[SD] [242p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Hannibal Rising ([2007]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Wristcutters - A Love Story [2007] [Rated R] [Voted 8.4]\[SD] [352p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [FXG] Wristcutters- A Love Story ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-FXG).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Yes Man [2008] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.2]\[SD] [288p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [NOiR] Yes Man (2008) {1337x}-Noir).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Without a Clue [1988] [Rated ] [Voted 6.0]\[SD] [540p] [XviD] [MP3] [CLUE] Without a Clue.avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Walk the Line [2005] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.1]\[SD] [214p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Walk the Line ([2005]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Underworld - Evolution [2006] [Rated R] [Voted 7.6]\[SD] [238p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Underworld- Evolution ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Untraceable [2008] [Rated R] [Voted 4.9]\[SD] [272p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [iMBT] Untraceable (DVDRip.XViD-iMBT).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Valkyrie [2008] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 7.6]\[SD] [304p] [R5] [XviD] [MP3] [NOiR] Valkyrie (2008) {1337x}-Noir).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Underworld - Rise of the Lycans [2009] [Rated R] [Voted 7.2]\[SD] [272p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [DUQA] Underworld- Rise of the Lycans ([2009].PREMIERE.DVDRIP.XVID.[Eng]-DUQA).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Freedomland [2006] [Rated ] [Voted 9.0]\[SD] [234p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Freedomland ([2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Live Free or Die Hard [2007] [Rated PG-13] [Voted 8.2]\[SD] [256p] [XviD] [MP3] Live Free or Die Hard.avi
N:\Video\Movies\Black Lacie Drive\Hannibal Rising [2007] [Rated R] [Voted 7.4]\[SD] [242p] [DVDRip] [XviD] [MP3] [aXXo] Hannibal Rising ([2007]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo).avi

Something like this is not perfect I'm sure, but gives visual clues, so you know can ignore the light color because all your shows are going into that media directory and you can focus on the other two. Which is also why I was hoping to shrink the left pane so I could have more room on the right without scrolling so much.

I had originally envisioned maybe shades of grey or something light for the media folder, darker for the movie folder and black for the file, but I don't see those on the forum options here. Maybe someone more creative can come up with something better. Filebot already knows which set of characters are the filename, the parent directory and anything above that (I assume of course).

***EDIT*** I love google.

Here was my original vision

I'm sure someone more creative than me can come up with a combination that works really well. Like I said, I just think this would help quite a bit for large manual batch jobs.

Thanks for considering it
part timer

Post by part timer »

Another thought on this, as I've just dragged and dropped and manually confirmed a few hundred more files. I find myself quite often going back to windows explorer to look for the directory containing the video file to double check something, like the $group for example, especially when the filenames are cryptic or short, gkl.avi or something crazy like that.

If you did implement the above, I think it would be helpful, but also maybe on the left pane adding the original foldername as well, shaded with the same dark grey. I know that might seem like a step backwards, because it might seem less streamlined and more cluttered, but it would save from switching windows back and forth a lot. Like, oh hey it matched this for me but am I sure the movie was that year, let me just flip back to explorer and take a look at the folder. This way the info would be right there, assuming it was named properly.

Also, this way you have all the info that filebot has, the foldername/filename and you can make your own judgement call on renaming. Hopefully this is making sense to you, as I know for my use it would be very helpful. The same goes when the pop window appears asking to confirm which movie in the list it is. If I had the foldername/filename right there instead of just the search string I could be a lot more confident in some cases picking the match, instead of again going back to look through the folders.

If I look in the left pane and I see:

rIII-vRs.avi
rfb.pII.vRs
prv-mcpt.dvdrip.xvid
prv-sr.dvdrip.xvid.avi
ewdp-sniper.xvid.avi
ewdp-sniper2.xvid.avi
ewdp-sniper3.xvid.avi

I really couldn't tell you which movies those were and if filebot picked the right name to rename them. I also couldn't tell you what the $group was and which was the movie name either.

But if it was possible to show this I could tell you easily enough:

Rambo.III.Ultimate.Edition.1988.iNTERNAL.DVDRip-vRs/rIII-vRs.avi
Rambo.First.Blood.Part.II.1985.iNTERNAL.DVDRip-vRs/rfb.pII.vRs
My.Kid.Could.Paint.That.DOCU.DVDRip.XviD-PreVail/prv-mcpt.dvdrip.xvid
Skid.Row.LiMiTED.DVDRip.XviD-PreVail/prv-sr.dvdrip.xvid.avi
Sniper.1993.WS.DVDRip.XViD.iNT-EwDp/ewdp-sniper.xvid.avi
Sniper.2.2002.WS.DVDRip.XViD.iNT-EwDp/ewdp-sniper2.xvid.avi
Sniper.3.2004.WS.DVDRip.XViD.iNT-EwDp/ewdp-sniper3.xvid.avi

Mostly an issue with large renaming jobs I guess, but this way it's there if you want it and it's shaded out a bit if you don't really want it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Here's some groovy code i'm using for prototyping this:
http://pastebin.com/yyMCqQZs

Just paste into Groovy Console and run to see how the colors work out.
part timer

Post by part timer »

So apparently I've never used the groovy console and don't even really know where I would find it or how to use it. If I've mentioned the console in any posts then I actually meant the filebot program window instead.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That paste is really just a little standalone script to help me prototype color combinations.

Groovy Console:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GROOVY/Groovy+Console

1. Start Groovy Console
2. Paste the code
3. Ctrl+R for "Run Script"

You can play with the begin / end colors and see if you can find a more beautiful one if you want.

Code: Select all

def a = Color.decode("#FF7F50")
def z = Color.decode("#008080")
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

added path highlighting to r1085
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

btw I probably fixed your scrolling issues with "Absolute Path" mode. That'll display absolute paths on both sides and should make it easier to compare the two sides especially if you're scrolling left<->right.

Note that if you rename your files in "Absolute Path" mode, then extensions will not be preserved. So if you're using an episode/movie format you have to add .{ext}
part timer

Post by part timer »

1. Actually with this one I just double clicked on the jar, so I don't know if that changes anything or not, but I can't scroll left and right. There is no scroll bar on either side and the left and right arrow keys don't work. The arrow key part is normal, they never worked before, but it doesn't mean I don't keep finding myself trying to use them out of habit.
I do like the idea of having the path in there on both sides so you can really see what you have instead of switching back and forth like I've mentioned, thank you.
For me though, not usable like this if I can't see the whole thing, if I can't scroll back and forth to read the whole line.

To have an idea of how large the filename is, this is what I'm currently settled on:

N:/Video/Movies/Black Lacie Drive/{(n =~ /^[Tt]he / ? n[4..-1]+", The" : n =~ /^[Aa] / ? n[2..-1]+", A" : n).replace(":",' -').replace(";",' -')}{"  [$y]"}{"  [Rated $certification]"}{"  [Voted $rating]"}/{"[$sdhd]"}{"  [$vf]"}{"  [$source]"}{"  [$vc]"}{"  [$ac]"}{"  [$group]"}{"  $fn"}{"  [CD$pi]"}.{ext}
2. For me personally I think the rainbow is too much. I find it distracting. Maybe I'm easily distracted. I still like the idea of filename in black, one folder level up dark grey and everything else light grey, personally.

3. Also right now I dragged files from my M: drive to the left and my rename format is a big long expression with an absolute path on my N: drive, but the letter N won't show up on the right pane. I tested with the letter M instead and it shows, the letter C: shows, but still not N. Ohhhhhh my N: drive isn't turned on. Maybe filebot is smart enough to know that? Cool. Ok maybe not, when I click on a movie that movie shows the N:\ where all the rest just show \ and when I go up and down through the list it's only the highlighted movie. Not for C though, which shows for all movies all the time

4. Also only 3 movies out of 15 show my [$vf] and all 3 say 480p. I realize these are old movies with small sizes, but I'd still like to know what they are, even if it's only 272 or something. Yep, confirmed, when I go back to 2.64 they show the proper vf, so it's not like the info wasn't available. Maybe for those people that want only 480 720 1080 to show, maybe there could be a new binding of vff or something so both groups of people could easily have what they want.

5. I like the option to change the Action nice and easy down in the corner or by right clicking on the middle button btw
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. Stupid scrollpane. Fixed now.

2. Made it a bit darker. Played with lots of colors, it's pretty good, gonna leave it like that.

3. Wierd, it didn't get it's a folder type, fixed now.

4. Changed {vf} to only use standard values due to popular demand. For exact values you can use {hpi} (i.e. height+progressive/interlaced) now.

5. Note: all the hard/soft link stuff won't work on Windows unless you run as admin

Will upload a new revision later when internet is faster again.
part timer

Post by part timer »

Now I'm having trouble processing any batch more than maybe 5 movies. It's throwing an error and I keep having to remove a bunch of movies and try again until the problem one squeaks through. Very annoying this way. java.lang.nullpointerexception during match and that's it. Start matching all over again. One of my pet peeves here though too is I could have just manually selected 100 movies from the lists and with this error it throws all those matches out the window. Why not at least keep those and let me process those.

This again makes me wish I could just click strict match and do my initial pass without my input required. Get the bulk (hopefully) out of the way first and then let me fine tune if I have to.

I know, I know, broken record over here.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'd first like to fix that NPE problem. Probably overlooked some corner case when I changed things there last week. Can you send me path names of the movies causing problems please?
part timer

Post by part timer »

Part of the problem is that I'm not entirely sure which ones it was. It just seemed that breaking them down sometimes into 2 movie groups even got me through it. For now I switched back to the old 2.64 because it doesn't choke on those exact same files. For some reason imdb is taking forever for me right now so I'm using tmdb instead too. Maybe tomorrow I'll play with that other one again.

When I come across it again, I'll try to get a listing for you. I know of one that always hangs and just will not rename though.
part timer

Post by part timer »

I'm trying to send one that I know for sure causes an issue but it says access denied every time I try to run a script you posted in another topic.

filebot -script "script:args.getFiles().each{println(it.canonicalFile)}" "N:\Movies\Problem Movies\" >> index.txt

N:\Movies\Problem Movies\The.Family.That.Preys(2008)DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo\The.Family.That.Preys(2008)DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo.avi

There is also a txt and nfo with the exact same name. It will match it to the right movie quickly because of the nfo, but it won't rewrite the path with my format. It just sits there. Every time.

****EDIT**
figured out why the script wouldn't go. I had a slash at the end of my path and I didn't give it the absolute path for the output in quotations. It works now, so I'll have it for next time.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Fixed a few bugs and added some new stuff. The latest revision should be pretty usuable now.
part timer

Post by part timer »

The left pane doesn't show the folder structure anymore btw. Last time it showed the whole path, for me I'd just like the parent folder of the video file I'm trying rename. I'm wondering about a possible change for you to think about as well. I only wanted to keep video files and srts if available, but I had tons of movies with nfos. Maybe I should have kept those, but oh well, anyways. My preferred method now is dragging to the analyze pane first and dragging all video from there to the rename. I had quite a few movies that would give me a list of choices to pick through. If I dragged that movie's folder into the rename window instead it wouldn't ask me, because there was a proper nfo with it so it knew which movie. Then on the left I'd have to delete all the files I didn't want to rename. I'm wondering if there is a way that you could have it set up so when it searches in the rename pane:

1. its first check is it's own folder
-am I the only video file in the folder (or is this a mass folder), if yes
-then is there an nfo, if yes
-does it have an imdb id or anything useful in it? if no then search like normal
2. if it's not the only video file in the folder
-then does it have a matching nfo with the same $fn?
-if yes, then again, is there anything useful in it like an imdb id?
-if no then we are back to square one and proceed as normal.

Maybe you've thought of it, or tried it, or that's what it's supposed to be doing already, I don't know, but it didn't seem to work for me. If this was in place then when I dragged my avi and srt files from the analyze pane without the nfo included it still would have known there was a valid nfo and wouldn't need to try and make an educated guess on which movie it was. It would already know.

I know I couldn't do what you do, I'm just trying to help improve it for me, because I know there are others out there that would use it like me.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sounds reasonable. I do lookup NFO data from the same folder, as one of possible options. But I'll only auto-select it of its in the input set.

BTW did you notice the new revision has strict-mode / non-strict mode built in? It's pretty subtle but I think it's a good solution.
part timer

Post by part timer »

1. I realized later that it does look inside nfo's but only like you say, if you throw it in there first and then match and then remove it (in my case, since I didn't want them to be kept). So it will, but it would be nice if it took that extra logic step to look for it without you having to put it in.

2. I didn't notice. I don't see any option for it anywhere. How do I test it out? Is that the little button on the pop up that said something about repeating? I didn't understand what it meant, but you mean like if I click that then ignore it will keep ignoring when that window pops up and I'll deal with them later? Does it get reset every time you drag in a new batch then? That would be good, but still if you clicked match and walked away, it could still spend an hour waiting for your first response when it could have been searching. I'll def try play with it.

3. Maybe those files lists will work for you, because now it seems to want to keep freezing on me. I can click buttons but the right pane won't repopulate with the new name, it's just sitting there for another batch now. No little green arrow on the hour glass either.
part timer

Post by part timer »

When I say it hangs it shows me the matches it found on the right with the hourglass symbol to the left of each one of them, then normally it would show a little green arrow on top of that and start changing the name to the format I specified. Instead it sits there with the list in the right pane that it matched but I can't click rename because it doesn't go down the list renaming them. Sounds right in my head, but maybe I'm losing you.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. Added that.

2. It's kinda like a "Yes for all" for that dialog, only for that batch of course. Also I already changed things like you suggested last week, i.e. it'll finish processing everything in the background even if it's still waiting for the first input in the foreground.

3. I understand what you mean, but got no idea, maybe it's still trying to process something in the background. What happens if you wait 5min?
part timer

Post by part timer »

1. So even if you don't show it you have an nfo it will still look for one now? That's awesome.

2. So if you did get up and walk away, all the obvious matches would be made and it leaves the ones that require input til the end? awesome again. Any way to have some other kind of visual clue other than the wheel spinning, that it's working? like a small window on the bottom showing which file it's processing right now (first choice) or something or a counter? So you don't think it froze and close it all.

3. Strange, because the older version seems to have less of it.

4. Still on my wish list is a way to stop searching or cancel, like right clicking and cancel or something and then not to lose the matches it did make. Cancel it and then just rename what it's got so far without the rest that you just couldn't wait for. No point in having to wait for them again is there?

Thanks so much.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

1. Pretty much, but it'll only take folders of video files into account. If it's in the list then it's also ok if the video is several folder levels below the folder with the nfo file.

2. Don't really intent to spend time on this. In movie mode things are pretty much processed one after another, but episode mode is completely different, everything is done at once in one step that doesn't have a final result until it's finished. Won't do any special cases for movie mode in the main gui.

3. Really? Didn't change anything in that aspect really. Keep me updated if it really blocks indefinitely or if you can reproduce it.

4. Actually it'll cache requests anyway, so if you match the same data twice it'll be a lot faster the second time around. There's still lots of processing but data is all cached locally already so you won't have to wait for long. ;)
part timer

Post by part timer »

I'm assuming the newest nfo version looks for nfos like we discussed? I'll play with it later a bit.

This might seem like a silly question right now, but it's late and I'm tired, so I'm just going to ask. I think I'm changing my approach a bit and keeping nfos now, after deleting thousands of them. So if I drag in a group of folders with nfos that have proper ids, boom they match easily. How do make the nfo get renamed with the exact same name as the video file though. I just tried a few and the media info doesn't get passed to it. Who wants an nfo with a similar name but not same name, that seems kind of useless to me.

I used the shell jar version and used:

M:/Video/Movies/OD Temp/{(n =~ /^[Tt]he / ? n[4..-1]+", The" : n =~ /^[Aa] / ? n[2..-1]+", A" : n).replace(":",' -').replace(";",' -')}{"  [$y]"}{"  [Rated $certification]"}{"  [Voted $rating]"}{"  [IMDB tt$imdb]"}/{"[$sdhd]"}{"  [$hpi]"}{"  [$source]"}{"  [$vc]"}{"  [$ac]"}{"  [$group]"}{"  $fn"}.{ext}
I forgot to check if it was in absolute path mode or not, but when I renamed I got double extensions, so maybe it wasn't?
Example:

[SD]  [304p]  [DivX]  [MP3]  [ULTiMATE]  Mr.Bean-The.Ultimate.Disaster.Movie.avi.avi
  [ULTiMATE]  Mr.Bean-The.Ultimate.Disaster.Movie.nfo.nfo
nfo has a space at the start of it too, since it doesnt' have that media info to slap on there. Really the nfo in my opinion should either be movie.nfo or exactly the same as the movie with a different ext on the end and that's it, nothing else. Maybe an option for choosing between the two in the options button with a default of matching exactly. If it doesn't match it's useless, no?

So I'll have to see if the extra extension came from me adding .ext on there, but that's what you mentioned earlier. How do I make it name the nfo exactly the same as the vid?

Thanks again as always.
part timer

Post by part timer »

It looks like I can drag the folders to the analyze pane after. Drag the nfos to the left rename pane. Drag the vids to the right rename pane and hit match. Not THAT much harder, but really I shouldn't have to. Who has a use for the nfo files like they are this way. These are extra steps that should have just been done on the first rename I did without having to go back again.

As always, that's my opinion.

Thanks