[REQ] Extra color for renaming window

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
part timer

[REQ] Extra color for renaming window

Post by part timer »

I'm wondering if you could add another color to the right pane of the rename section.

I use a long expression and one of my programs complains if it's over 260 characters. Since I use the full paths in (relative mode) would you be able to highlight everything after 260 characters in like red or something? I don't know if that includes the file extension or not, but to be on the safe side let's say that it does.
part timer

Re: [REQ] Extra color for renaming window

Post by part timer »

Ok maybe now I'm just going crazy with it, but what about maybe highlighting the whole line pink or something as a warning and just cutting the name off at 260 instead? For me it's the original filename at the end, so if that's cut off a bit oh well.

I guess it's more than just that program.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1880 ... in-windows
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Don't really feel like adding that. The 255 filename limit is just a windows achy achy. Actually FileBot can rename those files because NTFS does support 32k+ long file paths so 255 is nothing really. Not sure why one would enforce that limit.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
part timer

Post by part timer »

Ok, so if not limit it, then what about just the highlighting the line as a warning and highlighting the characters that go over the limit?

I realize it wouldn't work when using relative paths in some situations. Again, I generally use full paths, and I'd really like to know which if any go over, without having to count them.

****edit
I understand it's not a deal breaker, but it would be nice to have the heads up.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

java on windows really doesn't let you create files longer than 255 chars... wtf
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

full path / relative path doesn't matter though. Only matter if the folder/filename is longer than 255. If you're using filebot in relative name or absolute path mode doesn't make a difference.
part timer

Post by part timer »

I'm sure it does, because in Ember Media Manager, it has given me errors a few times saying files are larger than 260 characters. The problem with that tho for me, is that it doesn't tell me which ones are over 260 and then it doesn't include them in my library. So I'll be short a few movies, and I don't want to go back through after to try and figure out which ones are missing. So if there was a way that filebot could tell me ahead of time which ones were going to be over the 260 I could do something about it.

Make sense? Just something to at least draw my attention to it.
rednoah wrote:full path / relative path doesn't matter though. Only matter if the folder/filename is longer than 255. If you're using filebot in relative name or absolute path mode doesn't make a difference.
I agree it doesn't matter, but what I meant was if you just change the name of the video without changing anything else, well then the full path might be over 260 but filebot wouldn't let you know because in the right pane filebot might only see 20 characters or something. Unless there was logic built in that would count the full path during all renames i guess. That's what I meant. That filebot might not take into account, the full path before that filename since it's not changing any of it. However when using an absolute path, that path can be absolutely be counted.
part timer

Post by part timer »

I'm just looking for a warning bell to go off, so I have some way to prevent it.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The maximum path is 32k, but each path element is limited to 255.

How can a single folder name be more than 255 chars? Including all actors and movie overview? :P
part timer

Post by part timer »

lol
Well I don't know which one/ones it is. There are some long titles out there though. Like I said, that's part of my problem is that I don't know which ones it is. Are you saying the folder could be 255 and the file could be 255? hmmm, I'm surprised I went over. But I did.

This one doesn't help:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230575/
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yep, for example this would work, even though the whole is well over 300:

Code: Select all

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaUnearthed/bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbUnearthed/cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccUnearthed.avi