Opportunistic Match mode issues

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
sanjonny

Opportunistic Match mode issues

Post by sanjonny »

I don't think its being too opportunistic even though I am in that mode. This is easy to replicate, try using the gui to download and rename seinfeld english subtitles. Since there are many that are not labeled correctly to the TVDB series and episode numbers, the opportunistic match is the best way to sync them up, but it still will only do episode numbers. Season three and season one are probably the easiest to demonstrate this as there are several there that are different episode numbers in the tvdb than what is on opensubtitles and many have the episode name.

Just as an example, Seinfeld.S03E22.The.Keys.DVDRip.x264-DiGG matches to (in my format) Seinfeld - S03E22 - The Parking Space and several others, some where there are duplicated due to the improper matching.

I know this is being worked on, but I thought that opportunistic would allow a way to match "better" and going back to 4.2 or whatever the number is before this was changed a few revs ago leaves you with almost always matching correctly by title (I have different version on different computers so can test)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Opportunistic Match mode issues

Post by rednoah »

Before SxE and Title had equal standing. So while that allowed some files to work by "Title overrides SxE" in other cases it messed up by the same "Title overrides SxE", in which case that would be seen as a horrible and obvious and blatant mistake. And Title matches are much much more error prone (too short titles, different spelling, different languages, titles that match the group name) than SxxExx patterns.

Now things are more predictable in that "Title cannot override SxE" and if something goes wrong by that logic, it's much more understandable and immediately obvious to users why it would get it wrong.

Plus, if SxE messes things up, and you know that SxE is wrong, then you can easily remove that part of the name with any generic regex tool. Title would be much harder to fix this way.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

ARgggh, I just typed out a well worded in depth reply and for some reason it logged out and when I posted it required login and poof, my reply was gone. I hate you internet.

I guess here are the highlights. It seem in my little brain that there are lots of torrents that might use older data for naming and numbering, like the old imdb numbers and often you run across numbers that are wrong with correct titles. Just like we can switch to dvd order vs . airdate, it would be great to select SxE overrides Title and switch to Title overrides SxE. That would cover a lot of problems in renaming sources that are screwy which is probably more sources than not.

A regex tool can only fix so much because as the seinfeld subtitles show, there are many ways that the source can be screwed up. If you have to get a complex regex tool, you are going to be out of the scope of probably half the users of filebot so I guess I speak for those idiots.

A bigger issue is that there is no notice or not enough notice when episode numbers are wrong or names are changed or whatever. I do not know what triggers the color change, but I would suggest that maybe it needs to be a lesser change or maybe a different color for episode not matching the input or something like that.

I did all 9 season of seinfeld episodes and because the fuzzy matching was not as I anticipated (having upgraded this computer from 4.2) I had a lot of errors in naming of the subtitles that I did not notice until on the last group of subtitles I realized that there were several that were renamed incorrectly and I didn't notice and so I had to go back thru all of them to undo and then pick over with a finer tooth screen eye to see the ones that were changed or improperly matched.

I know that subtitles are a kind of garbage in/garbage out kind of thing, but that is why more notice is needed when things don't match up correctly. If there is a way to screw something up, I am sure to do it so more visual checks might help the less detail oriented of us out there to catch some of the problems. If I had not caught the one that I did, I would have had many many subtitle files wrong due to my renaming and i only caught it by one file that turned red and then looked them over and found I had a lot more errors than that which I had to undo.

There are lots of goodies in 4.5 that I like so far, but also for a large part of my renaming, 4.2 works better with certain problems. Obviously its not ideal to have to have both versions installed so hopefully there is a way to implement something for those screwed up torrent numbers that are more common than we would think, especially for older stuff.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Some data is simply misleading and can't be automated reliable anyway without your knowledge. FileBot does make it very easy to semi-manually match things up and then rename everything. If the order is the same then doing it "manually" will take an extra 5 seconds.

Plus, if you rename subtitles, don't use TheTVDB as source, use the video files as source. You just drop the video files into "New Names", and then drop the subtitles into "Original Files". Match it up and rename. No access to TheTVDB required.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.