MediaInfo can't read certain ID3 tags

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
UKenGB

MediaInfo can't read certain ID3 tags

Post by UKenGB »

I have a problem with accessing a tag in media info.

I'm using the Category tag (catg in MP4 movies, but TCAT in MP3 audio). This cannot be set in iTunes, but can be read and I set it with other CLI tools. It's a way to pass special info to filebot for renaming. Works perfectly in movie/video files, but although I can set it in audio files, mediainfo doesn't see/report it. So my workflow is currently not 'workflowing' for audio.

Is there any way for filebot to access TCAT in audio files?
rednoah
The Source

Re: MediaInfo Inspector

Post by rednoah »

Do you see that piece of information in the MediaInfo inspector view? If not, then there's no way FileBot would know about it. FileBot only knows what MediaInfo reports.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
UKenGB

Post by UKenGB »

With video files it is listed in Mediainfo as 'Category' and also (read only) in iTunes. However for audio formats, it is the same in iTunes, but NOT shown in Mediainfo. As far as I can tell it is just Mediainfo making its own decision to NOT take any notice of this tag for audio files - even though the tag is there in the file.

So is there any way to access this tag if it's not shown by Mediainfo?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No. FileBot only knows what MediaInfo knows. If you send a sample file to the MediaInfo developer then they might be able to fix it though. ;)
UKenGB

Post by UKenGB »

I've posted on their forums, we'll see what they say.

This is what drives me nuts about developers. They make these unilateral decisions which are often not correct from the users point of view. That's why I love the Sort tags as it puts the control totally in the hands of the user and the developer never has to worry about what might be the best sort order. In truth, they can never know as it's different for each user.

Simply ignoring tags because they decided to, for whatever reason is not smart. It's a tag, with an ID3 code (TCAT) so it should be included. So much for my plan.

In the meantime (or forever it mediainfo remains crippled) I'll have to do a song and dance with genre to achieve the same result. :-(

Thanks anyway, I understand there's nothing you can do about this, unless mediainfo is updated. BTW, do you include mediainfo in the FileBot bundle? So you would need any new version that fixed this?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Do you really think somebody made a conscious decision to exclude some tag? The opinions are strong in this one! :lol: Either it's a bug and it never worked and nobody every complained, or it's regression issue and nobody every complained.

Follow this bug and look at the code changes that fix it. You'll find that you could never ever possibly have guessed the root cause of whatever ultimately turns out to be the issue. ;)

Run filebot -script fn:sysinfo and you'll see which MediaInfo library version is being used. Compatibility issues aside, you can replace the library (libmediainfo.dylib on Mac, libmediainfo.so on Linux, MediaInfo.dll on Windows) yourself anytime.