Files suddenly not being processed since a week

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
PringlesCan

Files suddenly not being processed since a week

Post by PringlesCan »

Hi,

Since a week or so reports are coming in from users that Filebot is refusing to identify certain files.

Code: Select all

java.lang.Exception: No media files: [xxx.mkv]
However

filebot -mediainfo xxx.mkv
xxx [720x404 2ch x264 AAC]
This seems to happen with various files although most appear to be on the smaller size.

I'm stuck on `FileBot 4.2 (r2326) / OpenJDK Runtime Environment 1.7.0_121 (headless)` and can't upgrade, which is sad since an upgrade to the latest Filebot does fix the issues. Is it possible 4.2 was auto-ignoring certain file sizes? And if so is there a work-around?
rednoah
The Source

Re: Files suddenly not being processed since a week

Post by rednoah »

Why can't you upgrade?

:idea: The only valid answer is I'm using a PowerPC Mac which doesn't run Java 7/8 but despite neglecting to include basic system information, I can guess you're using Linux, for which there is no such excuse AFAIK.

If it runs OpenJDK Runtime Environment 1.7.0_121 then it most assuredly runs OpenJDK Runtime Environment 1.8.0_121 just as well.

:idea: Fun Fact: You're almost 3000 revisions in the past! For no apparent reason! :lol:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
PringlesCan

Post by PringlesCan »

Heya,

The problem is a bit more complicated then that. I depend on a custom script you once wrote for me that is no longer working on newer versions. Added to the fact that Ubuntu 14.4 has no official support for anything over Java 7 and the fact that I have thousands of custom scripts running that have to be updated as well. All of this is not impossible but it's just very hard to do.

That's why I'm interested to see if there is a work-around since that would save me a lot of work. If not I understand.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

:idea: Just use the latest version. Just do it in a way that doesn't interfere with your other stuff.

Step 1: Download the latest JDK from Oracle:

curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rednoah/java-installer/master/release/get-java.sh | sh
Step 2: Prepend Java 8 binaries to the $PATH:

export PATH=/path/to/oracle-jdk8/bin:$PATH
Step 3: Run the latest version of FileBot:

filebot -version

:idea: The custom FileBot scripts might be a problem, but by now there's probably a better way of doing things.
PringlesCan

Post by PringlesCan »

I'm afraid that's not quite possible. I'm provide a hosting service which your app is an integral part and depends on a lot of custom scripts I wrote. Yours is not the only Java app in the stack so a simple upgrade wouldn't work.

If there is no way around it I will proceed with a total rewrite of all my scripts in such a way they are all compatible with the latest version again.

Thanks for thinking with me.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you're a business, then I expect you to make regular donations to the filebot project of whatever value you think is appropriate. If FileBot is such an integral part of your service, then that value is probably more than $0. Also, you should give your customers a recent version of FileBot at the very least. ;)

I just gave you a verbatium example of running FileBot with Java 8 without touching or breaking any of your Java 7 tools:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=27087#p27087

Not knowing the details of your custom scripts, I can't help you there. The FileBot CLI hasn't changed much in recent years though and there's generally no need to touch FileBot scripts such as the amc script. They'll work out of the box and can be configured with command-line options.
PringlesCan

Post by PringlesCan »

1. I think it's up to my members to donate as they are the end users, I just make it easy for them to use your tools. I have no problem however sending some money your way for some custom works, will pm in a second.

2. That's fine but again requires a lot of changes on my side since we are not just talking about one instance.

3. This was required to work around fsnotify not working properly.

I will consider this closed and contact you over pm.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I could say the same thing about people using TheTVDB via FileBot. It's a nice argument but it doesn't work in reality. Do your users even know they're using FileBot and TheTVDB or do things just get sorted magically? :lol:

Time to automate. Not a trivial task, but never updating software is certainly not a solution either. ;)

fsnotify is most certainly problematic. I'd avoid watching filesystem changes whenever possible. Using the "Run on download complete" hooks of the various download clients is much more reliable.