OMDb now requires a personal API key in order to fetch names

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
btadeus

OMDb now requires a personal API key in order to fetch names

Post by btadeus »

Filebot will no longer work when trying to fetch movie titles using OMDb since they are now requiring a personal API Key. It would be nice to have a place to input the key so we can keep using it.
btadeus

Re: OMDb now requires a personal API key in order to fetch names

Post by btadeus »

If you want an API key you will need to go to http://omdbapi.com/ and become a patron by donating at least $1 a month. After that you will need to request for an API to be emailed to you.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot is already a $25 per month supporter and newer revisions use my API key when sending requests.

That being said, I'd use TheMovieDB. It's the standard and it's what everyone else uses and expects you to use.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kenjo

Post by kenjo »

I'm also a Patreon supporter for Brian's OMDbAPI. I'd use my own API key if there was a way to provide it (via configuration settings) in filebot, and I think that would be a fairer overall solution for all involved. What do you think about allowing filebot users to specify their own OMDbAPI key? (and other keys that require subscriptions so users are encouraged to support the API's)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot primarily cares about TheTVDB and TheMovieDB. I'm not inclined to add mostly unnecessary configuration dialogs as long as those two major data sources don't support or require per-user API keys.

Not sure if the new OMDb API keys are meant to be used per-user or per-application but I think either way is fine. The point was probably just to be able to cancel abusive API keys as necessary in case of another DDoS attack.

Most FileBot users can't even be bothered to pay $20 for a lifetime license for FileBot, so I doubt that any of those particular folks would be up for a monthly Patreon subscription. That being said, each and every user should of course financially support all the databases they're actively using, but if it doesn't work by default, then folks will just use another, and then I might as well not include it at all.
kenjo

Post by kenjo »

I've contributed in the past and purchased FileBot via the Mac AppStore in Oct 2014. I agree that it's always right to financially support what you're using. And FileBot is awesome and powerful.

Over the years, I've downloaded it via brew and AppStore and currently running 4.7.9. When is 4.7.10 being released (that has your OMDB fix)?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

4.7.10 is being rolled out gradually because it'll be using TheTVDB API v2 by default now so it'll probably cause lots of issues for lots of people. 20% of Windows Store users should be getting the update some of these days and then we'll see how well it works.

TheTVDB is critical. OMDb is not a priority as long as TheMovieDB works. I don't plan on updating the Mac version this or next month unless there's a critical issue with the current release.
bfritz

Post by bfritz »

Hey it's Brian from OMDb API,

I was given an ultimatum, shut it down or be shut down! Going private was the only option I could implement in the time frame given to instantly reduce traffic by 90% (from 1.4+ billion requests a day).

I never planned on creating a free service just to bait and switch people 7 years later. This isn't a permanent change and I still plan on providing a free service once I can actually enforce rate limits and build a proper registration process.

I deeply apologize for my lack of foresight on how popular this API would become and my undeniable ignorance of bandwidth costs.

@rednoah you can embed your key into the application if you wanted to, that's what many others like Emby.media have done.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

bfritz wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 07:46 Hey it's Brian from OMDb API,

I was given an ultimatum, shut it down or be shut down! Going private was the only option I could implement in the time frame given to instantly reduce traffic by 90% (from 1.4+ billion requests a day).

I never planned on creating a free service just to bait and switch people 7 years later. This isn't a permanent change and I still plan on providing a free service once I can actually enforce rate limits and build a proper registration process.

I deeply apologize for my lack of foresight on how popular this API would become and my undeniable ignorance of bandwidth costs.
No worries. You could probably do a session or two at some Linux or Node conference about real world / legal issues when building large-scale API services. :lol:

bfritz wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 07:46 you can embed your key into the application if you wanted to, that's what many others like Emby.media have done.
It's kinda what I thought. Thanks for the official confirmation.
bfritz

Post by bfritz »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 08:54 No worries. You could probably do a session or two at some Linux or Node conference about real world / legal issues when building large-scale API services. :lol:
I think Amazon's lawyers know me by name now :lol:... My most recent legal endeavor was with Fandango followed by the MPAA in Brussels!?

So far Fandango was the only legitimate one, and that's why the ratings structure recently changed, I still found a nice DMCA loophole to provide RottenTomatoes score, but can't provide the other details I got from their API.

The biggest issue by far is the traffic and not knowing who or what it is! Even after going private I'm still getting 20 million hits an hour of people with no keys (so lots of 401 error spam) I have a hunch it's mostly coming from Kodi/Plex addons.
ChefGregS

Post by ChefGregS »

Check out Sitelutions for your hosting needs. I have used them for 13 years now and the package I have offers Unlimited EVERYTHING. Unlimited bandwidth, space, domains, etc, etc, etc.... It's nice because the cost is insanely low and I am able to sell space to friends for a couple bucks a month and it pays for my entire package. Their tech support is the absolute best I have ever encountered.. 24/7 and never once waited more than 10 minutes for a response. Just a thought.

- Greg
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

"unlimited" is just a marketing word, meaning "enough" for most private users. I highly doubt that they'd serve billions of requests and many TB of data for $5 per month. :D
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

can i use my omdbapi key in filebot application to match movies from movie database??
please guide me
my version of filebot is last
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, that's not possible. FileBot 4.7.9 was released before OMDb required an API key so there's no support for setting the API key whatsoever.

You can use your own API key with newer versions of FileBot, but that's not necessary because FileBot has it's own API key that works fine out of the box.
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

What is newer version than 4.7.9?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The latest version is FileBot 4.7.14.
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

hi
if i buy filebot 4.7.14 for pc from microsoft store then for next update doesn't need to buy again?
is next update free?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes. You purchase the app and then you get updates automatically, just like on your Android or iOS phone.
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

I want for windows 10 on pc no android or ios!
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

Do I need to purchase every time filebot release update for windows 10 or just purchase first time?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You need to purchase FileBot for Windows 10 only once and you will get all future updates for free.
peymanch

Post by peymanch »

dear friend does omdb work in 4.7.14 version?
i want to buy only for omdb api
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, it'll work out of the box without you doing anything.