No support for Windows 7 and 8???

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
BradensPCs

No support for Windows 7 and 8???

Post by BradensPCs »

What the hell guys? It looks like you have completely removed all the downloads for versions of the program that run on Windows 7 and 8. In fact I can't find any downloads at all, just a link to the Windows 10 store. WTF??? If you think I am going to pay $10 and let you help Microsoft slam Windows 10 down my throat think again. You guys suck now if that's what you want to do. I would be willing to pay the money, but what I am NOT willing to do is install Windows 10 just because you guys got greedy. I like my Windows 8.1 just fine. :evil:
rednoah
The Source

Re: No support for Windows 7 and 8???

Post by rednoah »

OK. Sure. What's the End-of-Life date for those anyway?

Since Microsoft clearly doesn't plan continuing Windows 7 and 8, I don't plan on wasting time on dead or dying operating systems. If you're unhappy with the decisions Microsoft makes, then I recommend using macOS or Ubuntu instead.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
BradensPCs

Post by BradensPCs »

What the hell are you talking about? Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023. There are absolutely NO official facts that support Microsoft dropping support despite the rumors everyone is spreading. Microsoft has announced no plans to end support for 8.1.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet
I think these rumors started with a misunderstanding that Windows 8 is the same thing as 8.1. It is not. Support for Windows 8 without the 8.1 upgrade has already ended. But again, there is no information from Microsoft indicating that 8.1 support is ending soon, the plan is to support it for 6 more years. As far as Windows 7 goes, support does not end until 2020.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/window ... 24665.html
Perhaps there is also confusion in the differentiation between "mainstream support" and "extended support". Mainstream support is nothing, all that really matters is extended support. Microsoft was actively providing updates for XP right up to the final month of extended support in 2015. Windows 7 and 8 will be no different.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... cle-policy
Here is an article saying Windows 7 support was ending in 2015. http://www.businessinsider.com/microsof ... ort-2014-7
Notice the article mentions "mainstream" support. Obviously support did not end in 2015. That's because the Extended Support is what matters. "Mainstream Support" is just the free telephone support. Who the hell calls Microsoft Support for anything other than activation anyways? They are beyond useless unless you are an enterprise customer, and if your ARE an enterprise customer, Microsoft provides you with "up to 6 years of additional support beyond Extended Support" so Windows 7 and 8 are not going away any time soon and saying otherwise is just incorrect.
Last edited by BradensPCs on 27 Jul 2017, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
BradensPCs

Post by BradensPCs »

The real pain is that you want $10 when I donated $20 that was entirely optional 2 years ago. Now I am regretting that.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Windows 7 matters because it has market share, but it's barely got 2 years left, so creating a licensing system this late in the game (and supporting that for the next ~10 years) is not worth it from my perspective. It's a wasted effort. You could argue that Windows 8.1 has more time left, but it's still a dying platform, and it's got little to no market share compared to Windows 7 and Windows 10.

That being said, builds probably still work, there's just no way to purchase it. You can make a donation, and then I might send you a link to one of the older builds. Naturally, that comes with zero guarantees of any kind, as FileBot is only supported and tested on the latest operating systems.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

BradensPCs wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 08:02 The real pain is that you want $10 when I donated $20 that was entirely optional 2 years ago. Now I am regretting that.
Free promo codes are available for users that have previously donated. You'll need the Windows Store for that though:
viewtopic.php?t=4288
BradensPCs

Post by BradensPCs »

Ok yeah I'd totally donate to get the old builds, I love FileBot but hate Windows 10.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I already sent you a PM.

Sooner or later you won't be able to get around upgrading Windows 10 though, for one reason or another. ;)
joelli

Post by joelli »

Changing from the free version to pay Version without announcement is not a very fair way to all the people who made a donation. I didn't even see any announcement about end of support!

You just fooled all those people, who supported you with donation like me.
In my case the donation was a reward to free software!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Free promo codes for Windows 10 are available upon request for users that have previously donated:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4288

Here is an "announcement" from 1.5 years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3358

This thread from 2013 might be interesting as well:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=879

If you search the forums and twitter feeds a few years back, you will find many announcements and discussions about new distribution and revenue models.
trillionsin

Post by trillionsin »

Hi, I've purchased Filebot for Windows 10. On my main PC. However, I was hoping to get it on my Plex server, which runs Windows 8.1. I am currently unable to upgrade my server because of issues with certain network drivers, and limitations they bring. When I run this on my PC and edit files over the network, it acts pretty wonky and sporadic, sorry I don't have a much better description on this.

Why can't you make Filebot available in the Windows Store for Windows 8? I understand you don't want to create a key system for Windows 7, but I don't understand why not Windows 8? Actually, I don't really care what the reason is. I'm just here to tell you there is demand for your software on Windows 8. It is very frustrating to have purchased software that is not capable of installing on another system. :(

Edit:

I'd like to add... what brought me here today. This particular situation I'm in now. I use Teamviewer to connect to my server when away from home, to make transfers and upkeep on the server. My main PC (the one with Windows 10 and filebot) is off (sleep state most likely), and does not have Teamviewer installed. So I went to search for Filebot in the Windows Store and to my surprise was not available, not to sound shitty, but I may not have purchased it had I known this, because this is a BIG limitation. No offense to you, (creator of the Filebot software) Filebot works great, just wish I could use it on my server. I'm open to any other ideas for a work-around, maybe something I havent thought of?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store on Windows 8 doesn't allow UWP Desktop Applications because the UWP Desktop Bridge feature is only part of newer versions of Windows 10 (since the 2017 Anniversary Update).

Unfortunately, official releases of FileBot for Windows 7/8 ain't happening because (A) Microsoft won't support Desktop Bridge applications on the Windows 8 Store (because Windows 8 doesn't support Desktop Bridge) and (B) I won't implement custom licensing to sell FileBot outside of the Windows Store just to support old versions of Windows (because the Windows 7/8 market has no future).

One workaround is using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) and then using the portable version of FileBot for Linux. However, WSL is another new technology that isn't available for Windows 7/8 so that won't help you either.