Subtitle Downloading

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
medmaghraoui

Subtitle Downloading

Post by medmaghraoui »

It would be convenient to download multiple subtitles for a file. even after downloading. I download subtitles for offline usage, and number of times the subs aren't the best. option is good. What do you say?

Choose what to download:

The option to download even more and not have to start over:

Comes off like this:
rednoah
The Source

Re: Subtitle Downloading

Post by rednoah »

It's a good idea. Batch downloading of subtitles is not supported though, partially because OpenSubtitles is a free service and abuse / overuse by some users or programs is bad for everyone.

However, for debugging purposes, there is the osdb:explain script, which exists for debugging purposes, but can also be used to download all available subtitles via the --def fetch=y option. That might be a good solution for now (e.g. if you make a batch script and set it up as a context menu or droplet).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
medmaghraoui

Post by medmaghraoui »

rednoah wrote: 08 May 2018, 13:17 However, for debugging purposes, there is the osdb:explain script, which exists for debugging purposes, but can also be used to download all available subtitles via the --def fetch=y option. That might be a good solution for now.
I'm no dev. If you put this stuff in clear steps (delete line 105, replace this with this...), that I can do.
medmaghraoui

Post by medmaghraoui »

I thought about the Opnesubtitles's possible abuse, but then I said I download 10s of subs for different movies at once, is it really abusive for one movie? It's the same thing, innit?
medmaghraoui

Post by medmaghraoui »

Also, how about a right click menu shortcuts
> Filebot > Rename with autodetect
               > Download Subtitle
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Merging Rename / Subtitle features is not planned as far as the GUI is concerned. The filebot command-line tools (e.g. amc script) can help you automate doing both.

:idea: A reason for keeping these feature separate is that the key feature people pay for is "Rename" and "Subtitles" exists only because I couldn't find a good tool that does the job well, so I built my own. However, "Subtitles" are a legal grey area, and the Subtitles feature is removed from the Mac App Store version of FileBot by the request of Apple.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

medmaghraoui wrote: 08 May 2018, 14:16 I'm no dev. If you put this stuff in clear steps (delete line 105, replace this with this...), that I can do.
If you're not familiar with using CMD, then this is not an option for you. Though I recommend learning some basics. It's always useful for automation. ;)

If you're familiar with CMD, then this should make immediate sense to you:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:osdb.explain . --def fetch=y
Based on this, we can create a fetch-subtitles.cmd script:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:osdb.explain %* --def fetch=y
%* passes along all parameters the script is called with, so we can use the script as "droplet", meaning that by dropping files on the cmd file we can run the cmd script with these files passed in as arguments.
medmaghraoui

Post by medmaghraoui »

Do you ever consider use other subtitle databases? renaming has a bunch, I think subtitles could use some.

While:

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, support for databases other than OpenSubtitles isn't really viable (although internally FileBot does support, and did in the past support different ones, such as Sublight, but the API so no longer public so it doesn't work). It's especially not viable for tools such as FileBot were this is not a priority or primary feature, and not a possible feature for half of the commercial market (i.e macOS).