[BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
rednoah
The Source

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by rednoah »

plittlefield wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 11:47 Just purchased my licence. What's the next stage for a headless Linux server :-) ?
Purchasing a license is the last stage. What stage are you at?

Stage 1:
Install FileBot: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6057

Stage 2:
Call filebot and do your thing. The CLI tool will give you instructions on how to purchase & install a FileBot license then and there as necessary.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
plittlefield

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by plittlefield »

I already have 4.7.x running on the Linux box.

I purchased the licence just now via the /purchase link and have my Licence file in an email.

I can SSH in to the server and put the LIcence_XXX file somewhere if you like AFTER I have installed 4.8.2 via the .DEB file?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, everything will be obvious once you start using the new release.

If you're using a Debian based OS, then you can use APT to install the latest FileBot package:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6028

If no license is installed, then filebot will fail on rename and print something like this, and so you how to install your license:

Code: Select all

License Error: UNREGISTERED
FileBot requires a valid license. Please run `filebot --license *.psm` to install your FileBot license.
plittlefield

Post by plittlefield »

Brilliant, thank you. I'll let you know how it goes :-)
b33z

Post by b33z »

rednoah wrote: 21 Jul 2018, 17:27 Thanks for reporting back. +1
Of course! Wouldn't be very helpful if I didn't! lol Next time I'll try and be a little faster with the reply tho! lol

Thanks again!
gimmeth

Post by gimmeth »

I have to say I find subscription models for software (as opposed to services) a bit disgusting, though the pricing seems fair at least. Here's my philosophical objection: say I am happy with filebot as it exists at this present moment, and I don't necessarily agree with your vision / planned features for the project, why should I have to continue paying you when you're not even making (from my perspective) improvements to the software? A purely hypothetical example, but one that 100% captures how I feel about another certain piece of not-free software (*cough* Plex *cough*).

I'd say if this is really the path you're taking you should at least put out a roadmap of planned features and be a bit more regimented about your intake process for feature requests. If you have already done these things, apologies, but I was unable to locate them on your website.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The current goal is to support as many platforms as possible, and make FileBot work well on all of them. Other than that, there's a never-ending stream of bug reports and feature requests here in the forums.

:idea: There is no grand roadmap for the future, as FileBot is (after 10 years of development) a rather mature product and works perfectly well for the vast majority of users (though keeping it that way is a task in and of itself).

Indeed, FileBot was an excellent piece of software back when it was free. But you can't hold that against me. You're not paying for the delta since last year. You're paying of FileBot as a complete product that does what it says. Think of it as return on investment (from the developer perspective).

Here's some interesting thoughts:
https://youtu.be/lTKuQQegNTs

The main point to take away from this, is aligning the interests of users and developers. The subscription model allows user to get FileBot for cheap (on the short term) which is good for users, and ensures strong incentive to keep my current users happy (instead of focusing on new users) which is also good for users.

:idea: Personally, I dislike subscriptions as well, and this is why the 1 year license is not a subscription, but a simple one-time purchase. So you can (and have to) reevaluate if FileBot is worth $6 to you or not once a year.

:idea: A life-time license / one-time purchase option is available, but it's significantly more expensive, so you can choose between a reasonably-priced subscription or an expensive one-time purchase. The choice is yours.

Plex is great. What I dislike is that none of the developer are active in their forums, so you can never actually talk to anybody who's actually working on the thing. It's probably company policy, same as with all the other tech companies (Google, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung, Synology, QNAP, etc). That's because developers are expensive and as a company you don't want them to spend their time on non-engineering tasks, such as talking to users.

:idea: FileBot is a one-man show, so I make company policy, and evidently, I'm still here talking to you, and hopefully have been able to earn your continued long-term business with this rather verbose reply. :lol:
howdymilsap

Post by howdymilsap »

@rednoah, I personally really like this software and I want you to be able to continue development and improvement. To that end, I will pay for its use. I think everyone here should think about this - don't we want continued development and support? I would really like it if this could be how you make a living, or a big piece of it, so that we benefit from having a bigger piece of your time (there is a selfish aspect to that I know). I have already purchased the Windows version from the Microsoft store, but have no problem with buying a yearly subscription to get properly licensed on my linux systems.

Along these same lines, I wanted to bring up an issue that may not have been discussed yet. What will you do with hosted providers that incorporate Filebot into a seedbox or VSP solution? Some provide end-to-end solutions that incorporate filebot and your amc script. Is there a licensing solution for these types of providers yet?

thanks!

-hm
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you have already purchased the Windows Store / Mac App Store version, PM me for a free 1 year license.

No idea. Last time I asked for some sort of revenue sharing, I never heard back. But that was when FileBot was still free. :lol:

One benefit of the new license system is that if FileBot 4.8.2 or higher is pre-installed, then you can use your personal license with that. Alternatively, custom solutions are certainly possible and I'm happy to talk if someone were to approach me in this regard.
hansooloo

Post by hansooloo »

Is the `filebot.sh` file not included in the portable ZIP package anymore (was in 4.7.9)? ==> https://get.filebot.net/filebot/FileBot ... rtable.zip

With, 4.7.9, I had the `filebot.sh` and the `update-filebot.sh` files in the ZIP package. Seems like with 4.8.2, it's not there anymore.

Question is, whether the 4.7.9 `.sh` files can be re-used with 4.8.2 (guessing Yes, but want to check).

UPDATE:
Upon further investigation, I found that the XZ file format package includes the shell files, but then it doesn't work on Ubuntu (not doing DEB for other reasons).

./filebot.sh: 50: ./filebot.sh: Syntax error: newline unexpected (expecting ")")

jd@plex:/usr/local/FileBot/4.8.2$ diff filebot.sh filebot.sh.fix-case
49c49
< ;
---
> esac
Seems like on line-50, `case` needs to be closed with an `esac` instead of a `;` :-)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

There is now a Windows Portable ZIP package and a Linux / Unix / Posix Portable TAR package. If you're on Linux, you'll want to use the latter. The installer/tar.sh can be used as in installer on Linux.

case fixed with r5757.
hRVkRs33Y0Kb

Post by hRVkRs33Y0Kb »

rednoah wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 17:47 1.
If you have already purchased the Windows Store / Mac App Store version, PM me for a free 1 year license.

No idea. Last time I asked for some sort of revenue sharing, I never heard back. But that was when FileBot was still free. :lol:

One benefit of the new license system is that if FileBot 4.8.2 or higher is pre-installed, then you can use your personal license with that. Alternatively, custom solutions are certainly possible and I'm happy to talk if someone were to approach me in this regard.
Thank you! I'll send my details for the windows store purchase later - when the board allow me to PM :mrgreen:

edit: Filebot Node (0.2.8.1 on a synology NAS) Using the GUI -> Tools\License\Purchase -> opened about:blank. Tried it 3 times then closed the GUI. When writing this, I opened it up again to get the button names correctly and suddenly the correct web page loads :lol:
Pinqvin

Post by Pinqvin »

rednoah wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 13:09 ...

EDIT:

Please run filebot -script fn:sysinfo and post the output.
Here's the sysinfo output on my FreeNAS machine:

FileBot 4.8.2 (r5736)                                                           
JNA Native: 5.2.0                                                               
MediaInfo: 18.05                                                                
Apache Commons VFS: [zip, rar]                                                  
Chromaprint: 1.4.3                                                              
ffprobe: 3.4.2                                                                  
Extended Attributes: java.io.IOException: UserDefinedFileAttributeView is not su
pported                                                                         
Unicode Filesystem: OK                                                          
Script Bundle: 2018-07-15 (r530)                                                
Groovy: 2.5.0                                                                   
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 1.8.0_162                                      
JVM: 64-bit OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM                                            
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 3 GB Max Memory / 27 MB Used Memory                           
OS: FreeBSD (amd64)                                                             
HW: FreeBSD deluge 11.1-STABLE FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE #0 r321665+e0c4ca60dfc(freena
s/11.1-stable): Wed May 30 14:18:20 EDT 2018     [email protected]:/
freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/objs/freenas-11-releng/freenas/_BE/os/sys/FreeNAS.
amd64  amd64                                                                    
DATA: /home/deluge/filebot/data/root                                            
Package: TAR                                                                    
License: FileBot License PX4103136 (Valid-Until: 2068-07-22)                    
Done ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks. I will include jnidispatch.so in lib/FreeBSD-amd64 in upcoming packages.
virtualidacc

Post by virtualidacc »

Would love to buy an expensive lifetime licence but did not see the link. Would you be able to post the link?
hshah
Donor

Post by hshah »

Heya, I had installed the license on my Synology just over a week ago and all was good but now I'm getting:

No such property: license for class: Script1
groovy.lang.MissingPropertyException: No such property: license for class: Script1
	at Script1.run(Script1.groovy:14)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
	at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:148)
	at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:36)
	at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:126)
I've tried reinstalling it via Putty and Filebot Node, but still seem to get the same error. What am I missing?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You’re not running the latest build. You might need to uninstall and then reinstall FileBot to make sure you’re running the latest build.
hshah
Donor

Post by hshah »

rednoah wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 23:42 You’re not running the latest build. You might need to uninstall and then reinstall FileBot to make sure you’re running the latest build.
Is that for Filebot Node, Filebot or both?

/Edit: All good now 8-)

Just a FYI for others, you don't need to uninstall and reinstall on a Synology. I just downloaded the spk and performed a manual install (option in Package Centre) over the top of my existing installation.
ner0

Post by ner0 »

I thin kit's a fair price for such a great app.
Filebot is working for more than two years on my nas :)

That was the reason I bought the AppStore App in the first place, to support you.
Mendeln
Donor

Post by Mendeln »

@rednoah
life-time license? i hope i dont die in 50 years xD
its a shame that you dont work with microsoft store. now i have the win10 version and a version for all plattforms.
the price is rough but ok.... over the time the software will pay for itself

edit:
the two files i wanted to process without a license are in the excludes-list now.
filebot should only write the complete processed files in the excludes list.
thx
redbull666
Donor

Post by redbull666 »

PS. I could not find the License purchase link anywhere on the website, had to dig on the forum to find the direct URL (https://www.filebot.net/purchase.html).

Is it hidden or blocked by adblockers perhaps?
Mendeln
Donor

Post by Mendeln »

new problem...
i have a synology with couchpotato, nzbget and plex running.
nzbget start a filebot script to sort (and rename) the files for plex.
but nzbget give me that error:

error	Tue Aug 07 2018 13:09:13	Post-process-script filebot.sh for xxx failed (terminated with unknown status)
info	Tue Aug 07 2018 13:09:13	filebot: /bin/sh: : No such file or directory
thats the same error i have without your license.
i think nzbget runs filebot as wrong user.

is it possible to license the whole NAS and not every user for its own?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

redbull666 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 12:22 Is it hidden or blocked by adblockers perhaps?
Neither. The idea is that you just start using FileBot, and then FileBot will open the purchase link for you then and there.

The main page will be updated as well of course on release, and it'll look something like this:
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Mendeln wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 19:48 the two files i wanted to process without a license are in the excludes-list now.
filebot should only write the complete processed files in the excludes list.
I'm fairly sure that this has been fixed with recent revisions of both FileBot and the amc script, since it'll force test run behavior if there's no license:
https://github.com/filebot/scripts/blob ... groovy#L14

Mendeln wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 13:14 is it possible to license the whole NAS and not every user for its own?
Newer builds of the SPK / QNAP package already do this by storing the license file in the same location for all users, so a license imported as User A will subsequently work for User B as if that user had imported the license himself.

Mendeln wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 13:14

Tue Aug 07 2018 13:09:13	filebot: /bin/sh: : No such file or directory
That is a strange error. How can you not have a working /bin/sh? I don't think it's related to filebot directly. The message might be trying to tell us the executable "/bin/sh: " doesn't exist, which points and a strange syntax error somewhere, because there definitely isn't an executable file path that ends with ": " colon space.