[BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
frankw

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by frankw »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:56 FileBot Node is running filebot as admin user. If you run filebot --license *.psm then the license will be installed for your current user, so make sure you're logged in as admin user, and not root, or any other custom user.

You can use this command to see which user folder is configured as application data folder:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:sysenv | grep application.dir
That's somewhat inconvenient though, can't we install the license globally on linux? My filebot is initiated by the debian-transmission user after Transmission completes the torrent, but it won't run for the reason above. I guess I could mess around with setting a shell for that user (currently /bin/false) and install it that way, but it seems kind of "hacky".

Or should I install filebot node just to install the license file?
rednoah
The Source

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by rednoah »

You can call filebot --license as the debian-transmission user once and then it'll work when FileBot is called by transmission later on.

:idea: shell /bin/false doesn't prevent transmission from calling filebot, so there should be a way for you to execute filebot as that user just like transmission does. Probably with su or sudo but Google is gonna be a more helpful Linux help resource than me.

:idea: The same issue applies to Set OpenSubtitles Account.

EDIT:

It's of course possible to configure FileBot to assume a specific license file location via System Properties and then set them globally via /etc/profile but that'll require more Linux skills and is more prone to multi-user permission problems then just running filebot --license as another user once.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 22:13
Albernet wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 10:27 Thank you very much, it was that.
The latest FileBot Node 0.2.8 update will allow you to upload your license via the WebUI:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-node/releases

Would you mind trying the latest FileBot Node SPK and confirm that everything works well?
Hi,

I've already tried it and the activation option works correctly. But there is another problem, I can not run Filebot, the "Execute" button is not accessible.

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You may need to select a value in all of the required combo boxes.

There may be some incompatibilities with remembering your settings, such as the rename action or episode order combo box.
frankw

Post by frankw »

rednoah wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 06:09 You can call filebot --license as the debian-transmission user once and then it'll work when FileBot is called by transmission later on.

:idea: shell /bin/false doesn't prevent transmission from calling filebot, so there should be a way for you to execute filebot as that user just like transmission does. Probably with su or sudo but Google is gonna be a more helpful Linux help resource than me.
Ah ok great thanks for the suggestion @rednoah.

If anyone else has this same problem, I was successful after creating .cache and .filebot directories inside /var/lib/transmission-daemon directory (user home directory), chown-ing them to the correct user/group (transmission-daemon), and running the command:

/var/lib/transmission-daemon$ sudo -H -u debian-transmission bash -c 'filebot --license *.psm'
MrRobvious

Post by MrRobvious »

Hello. Long time (free) FileBot user, first time commentator.

If I buy FileBot on the Windows Store for $20, will I have to buy this new yearly licence system in the future?
Or should I wait and buy the yearly licence?

Not sure this is the right area, but if the redemption codes are still available to people who give to their community, I am a full time volunteer, working 40 hrs a week to teach the deaf how to communicate using ASL and other basic forms of communication. I am hearing, but have some deaf relatives that motivated me to learn how to help them. I'm no hero, but I might qualify for a licence of this software, if Rednoah sees fit. Thanks for your time.
smurfb

Post by smurfb »

Hi!

Bought the license yesterday but I get an error when trying to activate.

Fetch failed: Try again in 5 seconds (2 more) => java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: https://license.filebot.net/verify/XXXXXXXX
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

MrRobvious wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 02:54 If I buy FileBot on the Windows Store for $20, will I have to buy this new yearly licence system in the future?
A Windows Store purchase is a one-time purchase and completely independent of the new yearly licensing system that is managed by myself. If you're only using Windows 10, then I recommend using the Windows Store.

MrRobvious wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 02:54 Not sure this is the right area, but if the redemption codes are still available to people who give to their community, I am a full time volunteer, working 40 hrs a week to teach the deaf how to communicate using ASL and other basic forms of communication.
Now that I have my own licensing system, I'm more inclined to just issue you a free 1-year license via my own systems, instead of asking Microsoft for promo codes.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

smurfb wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:56 Fetch failed: Try again in 5 seconds (2 more) => java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: https://license.filebot.net/verify/XXXXXXXX
Did you download and install the beta today, or a few days ago? Please run filebot -script fn:sysinfo and post the output.
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

rednoah wrote: 03 Jul 2018, 11:15 You may need to select a value in all of the required combo boxes.

There may be some incompatibilities with remembering your settings, such as the rename action or episode order combo box.
Thank you very much rednoah.

It was that, it works correctly.

Best Regards.
MrRobvious

Post by MrRobvious »

Thank you for the reply Rednoah. Just so I understand clearly, if I buy FileBot through the Windows store now, will I have to eventually buy a yearly license?
If the Windows Store version of FileBot is being removed down the line, to focus on a more direct to consumer method of distribution, it would be smarter of me to buy a year at a time wouldn't it?

Perhaps I misunderstand, and this yearly version of FileBot is only for Linux, etc... and the Windows users of FileBot will always use the version through the App Store.'

Thanks for clearing this up. I'm sure I'm not the only person with this question. :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

MrRobvious wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 13:01 Just so I understand clearly, if I buy FileBot through the Windows store now, will I have to eventually buy a yearly license?
No, not at all. Windows Store purchases are one-time purchases and have no expiration date.
MrRobvious wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 13:01 If the Windows Store version of FileBot is being removed down the line, to focus on a more direct to consumer method of distribution, it would be smarter of me to buy a year at a time wouldn't it?
The Windows Store version will not be removed down the line. I personally would recommend using the Windows Store if you're only using Windows, since it makes everything easier. But it's your choice. If you don't like the Windows Store, then you can just download the MSI and purchase a license from me. It's your choice.
MrRobvious

Post by MrRobvious »

Beautiful. Thanks so much. Keep up the good work with this phenomenal program.
soulinferno

Post by soulinferno »

Just seen your email announcement. Nicely done! Keep up the great work.
b33z

Post by b33z »

License gladly purchased via Paddle using Win10 x64

Is taskbar pinning broken or just not implemented yet?

xdflames

Post by xdflames »

Is it possible to purchase a permanent license for Filebot? I'm more of a setup and forget kind of guy and I'd like for service to not be interrupted when I forget to buy a new key.

I'd buy for windows but I'm moving my server over to linux
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

b33z wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 19:10 License gladly purchased via Paddle using Win10 x64

Is taskbar pinning broken or just not implemented yet?

Thanks for reporting this one. I'll look into it. It seems that legacy apps don't get that behaviour automatically like Windows Store apps.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

xdflames wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 20:26 Is it possible to purchase a permanent license for Filebot? I'm more of a setup and forget kind of guy and I'd like for service to not be interrupted when I forget to buy a new key.

Sorry, only yearly licenses are available currently.

The one year license is not a subscription though. It's a one time purchase. And that licence will just expire after a year. And then you can decide to purchase a new one. It doesn't automatically renew or anything like that, so you will have to set yourself a reminder to install a new one this time next year. Updating FileBot at least once a year is probably a good idea too. ;)

I might offer life-time license sometime next year when the first licenses expire, but at a significantly high not yet determined price point.
xdflames

Post by xdflames »

rednoah wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 23:01
xdflames wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 20:26 Is it possible to purchase a permanent license for Filebot? I'm more of a setup and forget kind of guy and I'd like for service to not be interrupted when I forget to buy a new key.

Sorry, only yearly licenses are available currently.

The one year license is not a subscription though. It's a one time purchase. And that licence will just expire after a year. And then you can decide to purchase a new one. It doesn't automatically renew or anything like that, so you will have to set yourself a reminder to install a new one this time next year. Updating FileBot at least once a year is probably a good idea too. ;)

I might offer life-time license sometime next year when the first licenses expire, but at a significantly high not yet determined price point.
Thanks for the response, I'll pay $6 for now until you hopefully change it next year. I was expecting a lifetime license to be roughly 5-10 times more.

Regardless, Filebot is the best, thanks for your hard work. I'll check back in a year ;)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yep. I was thinking $50 as well, or maybe $42 because reasons.

If you're willing to wait for a few days, then I could build preliminary support for long-term license and manually issue then on a case by case basis. You're welcome to be my first test subject of you haven't gotten the 1 year license already.
RubiksCube

Post by RubiksCube »

I just bought a licence but I have a bit of a problem with applying it. I get this error when using the UI option and the terminal way:

License Error: unable to verify signature: Signature length not correct: got 255 but was expecting 256
Any idea what is wrong?
soulinferno

Post by soulinferno »

How did you download your license?
Chrome, Firefox, Any other?
With save as function?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What exactly are you doing?

Did you edit the license file in any with with a text editor?

The license will be emailed to you as file attachment, and even though it's a text file, it's best not to touch or modify or copy and paste it since that will break the digital signature for something changes (e.g. BOM, LF, and other invisible characters, that Windows Text Editors like to add.

Your email client should have a Save As / Download option for attachments. Please click that.
RubiksCube

Post by RubiksCube »

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have not changed the file, just downloaded the file from my outlook account using chrome.

Edit:
1. bought the licence
2. received 3 mail in my outlook account, one containing the .psm file
3. downloaded the file using chrome.
4. used the option in Filebot Node UI to upload and activate
5. got error "License Error: unable to verify signature: Signature length not correct: got 255 but was expecting 256"

Edit 2:
So I went and bought a second licence, this time not using my paypal account, and it works.
It seems that it could be related to that my real name contains a ø (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%98 if it dont show up on your screen). What do you think?
b33z

Post by b33z »

rednoah wrote: 05 Jul 2018, 02:41 Yep. I was thinking $50 as well, or maybe $42 because reasons.

If you're willing to wait for a few days, then I could build preliminary support for long-term license and manually issue then on a case by case basis. You're welcome to be my first test subject of you haven't gotten the 1 year license already.
I too was wondering about a lifetime option! Upon first hearing About having to pay for a license I admit I was a bit upset. But after literally only a few minutes of thought LOL I realized I have an extensive video library (many terabytes and still going! Lol) and use FB nearly everyday and it saves sooo much time and effort And paying for it only seems fair.

Please be sure to let me/us know as to the progress of this if/when you decide to implement something!

Thanks again!

Oh, and the taskbar pinning issue as well! Lol