NullPointerException while adding files (macOS Mojave, Mac App Store)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
glenreiff

NullPointerException while adding files (macOS Mojave, Mac App Store)

Post by glenreiff »

macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
Version 4.8.3 (Mac AppStore)

Since two days I get a NPE while adding files via drag & drop to box "Original Files". Happens with all files. Tried to restart and reinstall FileBot. Did not help.

I was not able to run sysinfo on command line and I did not found log files. If you tell me how to do I'll send you.

Short time ago I updated to Mojave. But FileBot still worked after update. So it is hard to say wether there is a correlation or not.

Glen
rednoah
The Source

Re: NullPointerException while adding files

Post by rednoah »

No idea. The logs should give us some clues.

You can find the log files in this location:

Code: Select all

$HOME/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
glenreiff

Re: NullPointerException while adding files (macOS Mojave, Mac App Store)

Post by glenreiff »

It's always the same exception:

Code: Select all

Oct 04, 2018 11:13:12 PM net.filebot.ui.rename.FilesListTransferablePolicy process
WARNUNG: java.lang.NullPointerException
java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.filebot.ui.transfer.BackgroundFileTransferablePolicy$BackgroundWorker.done(BackgroundFileTransferablePolicy.java:131)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.FilesListTransferablePolicy.load(FilesListTransferablePolicy.java:63)
	at net.filebot.ui.rename.FilesListTransferablePolicy.load(FilesListTransferablePolicy.java:56)
	at net.filebot.ui.transfer.BackgroundFileTransferablePolicy$BackgroundWorker.doInBackground(BackgroundFileTransferablePolicy.java:105)
Note: Files are on my DiskStation. Until now it was no problem.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Strange. While I could fix the error, it would just result in nothing happening on drop, because macOS seems to not pass the list of dragged files on to filebot correctly.

:idea: Does the same thing happen if you click the Load button instead of dragging and dropping files?

:idea: Does the same thing happen with other files? Have you tried with local files on your desktop? Or only with remote files on your NAS? Try local files and see if that works.

:arrow: If it's a MAS sandbox issue, then you could try deleting the $HOME/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot folder to reset all settings and caches. Might make a difference. Might not.
glenreiff

Post by glenreiff »

Seams to be a drag and drop issue. Using Load does work. Maybe a Mojave problem? They changed security features. But NPE occurs not directly after Mojave update. I used drag and drop several hours. In the middle of a session renaming many files suddenly NPE occurred.

Yesterday I already tried the two other suggestions: Using local files and deleting the folder. Always same behavior.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I haven't been able to reproduce the issue myself. I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if it's a general or an isolated issue.
glenreiff

Post by glenreiff »

Since I know that drag and drop does not work I only use the load function. Yesterday I got again the dialog box where I have to permit drag and drop (MAS specific dialog you get first time using FileBot). After permitting, drag and drop still not worked.

But after a while I recognized something else: Normally I use ForkLift. Then asked for drag and drop permittion I had problem to use ForkLift to drag folder into dialog because always dialogs disappeared. Finally I used Finder.

I asked myself if permission is app specific. Today I tried it out and it works with the finder! So it seems to be a special problem with ForkLift. It worked in the past without any problem. Maybe it works again if I manage to do drag and drop permission with ForkLift. But I was not asked again to give permission. Is it possible to force this dialog?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

What is ForkLift? Never heard of that. Probably something that should have been mentioned in the OP. ;)

FileBot is only tested with Finder. If you're using a 3rd party file manager then there's a good chance that something doesn't work for some reason.

Unfortunately, the logs show that it doesn't get any file paths passed in with the drop event in the first place, so no files are passed so no folders that FileBot might ask permission for.

Since FileBot / MAS is sandboxed, and ForkLift is probably not, macOS security might be interfering with DnD. You could try the non-MAS version of FileBot as a workaround.
glenreiff

Post by glenreiff »

ForkLift is ftp client with a lot of file manager features. I use it as file manager.

Until now it worked fine together with FileBot MAS edition. Even after Mojave update. Otherwise I would argue as you.
glenreiff

Post by glenreiff »

Problem is solved: It was ab bug in ForkLift - a general drag and drop problem with MAS apps.

Thanks for your support!