Adding More Subtitle Providers

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
dancnman

Adding More Subtitle Providers

Post by dancnman »

I think it has been a couple of years since anyone asked, so I will again. Any way to add more subtitle providers?

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Adding More Subtitle Providers

Post by rednoah »

Unfortunately, not planned. I'm not aware of any major subtitle providers that offer public APIs other than OpenSubtitles.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Connor

Post by Connor »

Hello,

Just responding to this thread as OpenSubtitles is banned in my country for the connection to Popcorntime if I remember correctly.

As you were not aware of any major subtitle providers I thought I could post this:

http://thesubdb.com/

It's free and has public API, at least I think it does.

It's nothing major if you can't add a new subtitle provider as I can always get them manually.
devster

Post by devster »

TheSubDB indeed seems to have a public API.
Otherwise I'd suggest something like Bazarr, maybe a bit overkill but also a bit more user-friendly.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

SubDB does have a public API that might work, but it's limited and probably won't work well.

No support for "Search By Name" so it doesn't fit well into FileBot, so it would be a hidden feature as far as the GUI is concerned, meaning that it's gonna be useless for the vast majority of users.

Only supports "Search by Hash" which is fine, but the hashing function seems weak, so you might get the wrong subtitles even though it "matches by file hash" so that's no idea, especially if there's no additional file name information that FileBot can use to score each hash match by file name as well.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.