Filebot crashes or hangs randomly

Any questions? Need some help?
ca81

Filebot crashes or hangs randomly

Post by ca81 »

Hi,

Below is the info for my FileBot installation.

FileBot 4.9.1 (r7372)
JNA Native: 6.1.0
MediaInfo: 19.09
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: 1.4.3
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2020-08-14 (r671)
Groovy: 3.0.3
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 14
JVM: 64-bit OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 2.1 GB Max Memory / 58 MB Used Memory
STORAGE: NTFS [Disk0 - Win10HTPC] @ 34 GB | NTFS [Disk2 - 1.36TB] @ 328 GB | NTFS [Disk3 - 1.81tb] @ 9 GB | NTFS [Disk4 - 2.72tb] @ 891 GB | NTFS [Disk5 - 2.72tb] @ 1.2 TB | NTFS [ISOs] @ 503 GB | NTFS [Orphans] @ 1.6 TB | NTFS [Media] @ 1.6 TB | NTFS [Library] @ 1.6 TB
DATA: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\FileBot
Package: MSI
License: FileBot License P10760513 (Valid-Until: 2020-12-21)

The crashing and hanging has now been occurring randomly for quite a while but it is become too frequent in recent times :(

I generally drag and drop the files that I want to rename into the FileBot UI and then select the rename option for either TV series or Movies (never both types at the same time). Now the problems that I am facing:
  • When trying to rename some files, FileBot seems to try search for the correct names and then suddenly crashes without any warning. Sometimes, if I reduce the number of files from 10 to 2-3 then it works (does not crash) but many times FileBot still crashes
  • After identifying the correct names, when I press the 'rename' button and FileBot and actually starts renaming the files, sometimes, the renaming process seems to hang up and after waiting for a couple of minutes I end up killing the process via Windows Task Manager. This I have seen to happen with as low as 1 file too :(
Currently the two things that seem to work are:
  • Restart FileBot and try again
  • Restart the PC and try again
Please advise on how I can properly fix these issues.

thanks,
~kg
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot crashes or hangs randomly

Post by rednoah »

Try launching the GUI via the command-line so that you can see the console output when it crashes.

Try a different Windows PC for good measure to see if it works better on a different machine, ideally a machine running fresh newly installed latest Windows 10.

Try launching with alternate configuration via the FileBot (platform) shortcut to see if that works better.

Try the latest beta to see if that makes a difference:
viewtopic.php?t=1609

Try with local files to see if the issue is specific to remote files on specific remote network shares. Try mapped network drive letters instead of \\UNC paths and vice versa. One might work better than the other depending on your exact hardware and software configuration.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ca81

Post by ca81 »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Amazingly somehow I haven't had Filebot crash on me since this thread....but just in case it does start crashing again. Can you please guide me on how can I "Try launching the GUI via the command-line so that you can see the console output when it crashes" ??

thanks,
~kg
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Open CMD. Type filebot. Hit ENTER. Please Google "how to run commands on windows" for details.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ca81

Post by ca81 »

rednoah wrote: 09 Sep 2020, 07:39 Open CMD. Type filebot. Hit ENTER. Please Google "how to run commands on windows" for details.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I was doing the above but the only thing the cmd window showed each time was 'x' files renamed after the files are renamed.

Somehow, I was under the impression that the cmd window would show more details on each step that FileBot does (like calling the api, parsing, scrapping, renaming, etc.) and thus help in figure out why/where it was crashing. Thus I wanted to confirm if I was doing the right thing or if I was missing something.

Will continue to launch FileBot via cmd only and in case it crashes again, I will get back to you.

thanks,
~kg