Most recent episodes from thetvdb are not loading in search results

Any questions? Need some help?
the1337moderate

Most recent episodes from thetvdb are not loading in search results

Post by the1337moderate »

I have a few shows where each week when a new episode is released, Filebot does not return the most recently aired episode when searching for it. Here's an example:
https://thetvdb.com/series/ancient-girl ... absolute/1

And here's what Filebot returns when searching from the Episodes icon:

So Episode 5 has been added to the tvdb's episode list, but Filebot doesn't look to be returning it. Tangential rant -> I understand that the tvdb's listing is bare minimal and doesn't have things like episode names. I can't figure out how to update series on tvdb; ever since they did that site redesign/API licensing thing my tvdb account's ability to edit things seems to be locked down/blocked for most every show out there I've tried contributing to.

Back on track now... I've tried resetting the filebot cache following both methods, one at a time: viewtopic.php?t=1996

System Information:

Code: Select all

FileBot 4.9.4 (r8736)
JNA Native: 6.1.0
MediaInfo: 20.09
7-Zip-JBinding: 16.02
Tools: fpcalc/1.5.0
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2021-08-02 (r761)
Groovy: 3.0.8
JRE: OpenJDK Runtime Environment 16.0.2
JVM: 64-bit OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 40 Core / 32 GB Max Memory / 265 MB Used Memory
STORAGE: NTFS [(C:)] @ 171 GB | NTFS [DrivePool] @ 169 TB | NTFS [Encoding Work] @ 1.1 TB | NTFS [Hyper-V] @ 2.4 TB
DATA: C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\FileBot
Package: MSI
License: FileBot License P28876949 (Valid-Until: 2022-09-25)
After clearing the cache with filebot -clear-cache and then launching filebot, I immediately attempted to search for the series in the Episodes icon. Checked the logs by using F5, however the only thing in the log is the message about clearing the cache:

Nov 01, 2021 10:55:07 PM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Initialize new disk cache: C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0
So I next tried matching the following file:

E:\Encoding Work\VMshare\Anime\[SubsPlease] Ancient Girls Frame - 05 (1080p) [357BC36B].mkv
The matching process thinks that the name is just "Girls", but if I click the Skip button, it will match anyways:

In the results , filebot has returned the proper show in it's match, but since the episode number can't be matched, it defaults to S01E01. I normally use a preset that does the converting on Absolute order for my Anime shows, however even using that preset presents the same behavior so I've excluded that step from this example.

When checking the logs again with F5, the only thing new since the log stating that the cache was cleared was that it did a license check:

Nov 01, 2021 10:55:07 PM net.filebot.DiskStore acquireDiskStore
WARNING: Initialize new disk cache: C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\FileBot\cache\0
Nov 01, 2021 10:58:58 PM net.filebot.License lambda$verifyLicense$1
WARNING: Activate License [P28876949] on [Mon Nov 01 22:58:58 CDT 2021]
rednoah
The Source

Re: Most recent episodes from thetvdb are not loading in search results

Post by rednoah »

If the series is new and unpopular, then there probably isn't anyone maintaining the episode list information. Ideally, episodes are added well in advance, but for unpopular shows there might not be anybody who bothers until well after the airdate when people start noticing issues in FileBot, Plex, Kodi, Emby, etc.

:!: FileBot fundamentally can't process files that don't match the episode information in the database, e.g. FileBot cannot rename Firefly 2x01 because Firefly doesn't have a 2nd season, and will dumb-as-a-computer pick the "best match" as usual. Strict Mode can be used to get a "no match" result instead.

:idea: FileBot will internally check multiple possible series name candidates, "Ancient Girl's Frame", "Girls", etc, and may or may not ask you to make a selection depending on the results. Clicking Skip is indeed the correct action for saying "none of the above" or "let me enter the name myself if that's all you've got". The undesirable "Girls" user selection will likely go away once "Ancient Girl's Frame" becomes more popular and well-known.

:arrow: It works now, but only because somebody entered Episode 5 and Episode 6 into the database:

filebot -rename *.mp4 --db TheTVDB -non-strict --action TEST --log INFO
[TEST] from [Ancient.Girls.Frame.1x05.mp4] to [Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x05.mp4]
:arrow: The solution (or rather workaround) to this problem is to not process files immediately, but process them only 2-3 days after the airdate. If your process is automated, then you could do something like "select and process only files older than 3 days" to alleviate the issue.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
the1337moderate

rednoah wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 08:33 :arrow: It works now, but only because somebody entered Episode 5 and Episode 6 into the database:
I have just tested again tonight. I can confirm that Episode 5 has been added to thetvdb.com, However I do not show that Episode 6 has been added to thetvdb.com:

Also when running the search under the Episode Icon, only episodes 1-4 are returned:

I'm not going to argue the fact that this series in particular isn't very popular and doesn't have much in the way of maintainers on thetvdb, but that doesn't change the fact that there is an episode listed on the thetvdb's site and Filebot doesn't appear to be returning it. I used this the series "Ancient Girl's Frame" as an example. I've experienced this same behavior with other, much more popular series as well.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will cache data for 4 days. If you fetch the episode list once a week you'll always get the latest one. I you fetch the episode list every day then you will get the latest information only every 4th day, and FileBot will use possibly outdated (but instantly available) cached information in the meantime.

:idea: You can do CTRL+SHIFT+DEL to clear the cache:
viewtopic.php?t=1996

e.g.

$ filebot -clear-cache
Clear cache
* Delete ~/.filebot/cache/0 (6 KB)

$ filebot -list --db TheTVDB --order Airdate --q 411004
Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x01 - G's Frame
Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x02 - Army of Ancient Girls
Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x03 - Episode 3
Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x04 - Episode 4
Ancient Girl's Frame - 1x05 - Episode 5

:arrow: Alternatively, the problem will resolve itself if you try again after 4 days.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
the1337moderate

I already tried resetting the cache as stated in my first post with both the GUI and CLI methods in this post: viewtopic.php?t=1996

Your posts so far seems to indicate that it is pulling the listing of newer episodes from the CLI; I've not ventured much into the CLI and stay exclusively in the GUI. Maybe this is an issue with the GUI not clearing the cache correctly? The Groovy pad logs says the cache is cleared though, so I would expect that the GUI would go pull new data from thetvdb.com's database. If this issue is still present tonight I will review firewall logs and verify if there is a request being made out to thetvdb.com when searching from the Episodes Icon in the GUI.
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

Sounds like you are doing it wrong?

GUI:
Press CTRL+SHIFT+DEL (clear active caches only)
do not use the Groovy pad to clear cache
the1337moderate wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 15:11 I already tried resetting the cache as stated in my first post with both the GUI and CLI methods in this post: viewtopic.php?t=1996

Maybe this is an issue with the GUI not clearing the cache correctly? The Groovy pad logs says the cache is cleared though