FLAC files and Vorbis tags

Any questions? Need some help?
sjthespian

FLAC files and Vorbis tags

Post by sjthespian »

I'm in the process of retagging much of my music collection using MusicBrainz Picard. I have seen several sources recommend that I disable ID3 tagging for FLAC files and instead use the native Vorbis tags. However, it doesn't appear that FileBot has any support for renaming files based on the Vorbis tag info.

Are there any plans for adding Vorbis support to FileBot? Given that it is the native tagging format for FLAC, it seems like something that should be there... I have been trying to use AcustID instead, but without any success so far.

Any suggestions for how best to use FileBot (from the CLI) for FLAC if I don't use ID3?
kim
Power User

Re: FLAC files and Vorbis tags

Post by kim »

Try MediaInfo Inspector and see if your files has the info you're looking for
viewtopic.php?t=4285
FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is mostly identical to that of OGG Vorbis described above, indeed they are sometime called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". Respect to the Vorbis tagging system, FLAC allows embedding pictures as well as seen for the ID3V2, WMA and MP4 formats.
https://www.multimediasoft.com/amp3dj/h ... editor.htm

EDIT:
If you want to edit the tags in FLAC files:

mp3tag - A free tag editor which supports editing tags, autotagging from online databases, cover art, and more.
Most players (like foobar2000 and Winamp) are able to edit FLAC-tags as well
https://www.xiph.org/flac/documentation ... ml#windows

@rednoah
developers
https://www.xiph.org/flac/developers.html
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Please provide raw MediaInfo output for one of your FLAC files:

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:mediainfo /path/to/files
:idea: 1 sample file for testing would be helpful as well.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sjthespian

Post by sjthespian »

I'm using MusicBrainz Picard to add the tags, I know they are there (and I have a couple of other tools for managing the Vorbis tags such as metallic). One of its optional features is to remove ID3 tags from flac files, as having them can cause issues with some applications. If I enable that, filebot no longer sees any of the tagging info in the files, so can't rename them properly.
kim wrote: 05 Nov 2021, 19:39 Try MediaInfo Inspector and see if your files has the info you're looking for
viewtopic.php?t=4285
FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is mostly identical to that of OGG Vorbis described above, indeed they are sometime called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". Respect to the Vorbis tagging system, FLAC allows embedding pictures as well as seen for the ID3V2, WMA and MP4 formats.
https://www.multimediasoft.com/amp3dj/h ... editor.htm

EDIT:
If you want to edit the tags in FLAC files:

mp3tag - A free tag editor which supports editing tags, autotagging from online databases, cover art, and more.
Most players (like foobar2000 and Winamp) are able to edit FLAC-tags as well
https://www.xiph.org/flac/documentation ... ml#windows

@rednoah
developers
https://www.xiph.org/flac/developers.html
sjthespian

Post by sjthespian »

rednoah wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 02:12 Please provide raw MediaInfo output for one of your FLAC files:

Let me track down the file that was failing to rename properly and I will add that info. Oddly enough, I just tried doing a rename on a different set of FLAC files, and they were renamed properly. Yet they should have had the ID3 info stripped by Picard. I'm going to have to dig deeper to see exactly what is going on with the files that were originally failing for me.
sjthespian

Post by sjthespian »

rednoah wrote: 06 Nov 2021, 02:12 Please provide raw MediaInfo output for one of your FLAC files:

This is weird, it's reading the file fine now w/o the ID3 tags being present. I'm thinking that brew (I'm on a Mac) did an upgrade of filebot for me and fixed the issue.

The only problem I have now is that multidisc sets are represented differently in mp3 and flac. For MP3 files it's PartPosition, for flac it is just Part. So I will have to get creative with my formatting. So for mp3 I use this:

--format '{artist}/{album+'\''/'\''}{media.PartPosition}-{pi.pad(2)} {t}'
but for flac I have to use

--format '{artist}/{album+'\''/'\''}{media.Part}-{pi.pad(2)} {t}'
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Well, assuming that only one of the two is defined, you could just write {media.PartPosition}{media.Part} with only one of the two yielding a value for any given file.

e.g.

--format '{artist}/{album}/{media.PartPosition}{media.Part}-{pi.pad(2)} {t}'
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sjthespian

Post by sjthespian »

That's too easy, I need some magic if statement with file types! :-)

I'll give that a try. Since all of my files should have either one or the other, that should be perfect. Thanks!
rednoah wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 01:55 Well, assuming that only one of the two is defined, you could just write {media.PartPosition}{media.Part} with only one of the two yielding a value for any given file.

e.g.

--format '{artist}/{album}/{media.PartPosition}{media.Part}-{pi.pad(2)} {t}'