File Renaming

Any questions? Need some help?
dengland

File Renaming

Post by dengland »

FileBot looks very promising, but I must be overlooking something obvious ...

I have a set of files recorded by WMC that are going to ultimately end up on an iPad, so I want the begining of the file name to be like 5xS01 - Title - Series Name.

WMC names the files Title.wtv.

With the Rename pane open I load the Original files with the wtv files. When I click on the "Match" button, FileBot askes me to select a source for the matching data. Regardless of what I select, I get a dialog asking for the series name. When I type in the series name (e.g. Fringe), it accepts my input (valid or not) and just goes away. The New Names panel remains empty.

If I bring up the "Episode" pane, queries to all of the sources (TVRage, IMDb, TheTVDB) returns a list in the format of {n} - {s+'x'}{e.pad(2)} - {t}. I can save that as a text file and load it in New Names Panel and my files will be renaned in that format. The "options: edit format information" can be set for a format of {'S'+s.pad(2)}E{e.pad(2)} - {t} - {n}, but it does not have any effect if I load the "New Names" from a text file.

1) I do not see a way to format the episode list prior to saving the text file.
2) Is the fetch episode list on the Rename tab behaving like it is designed?

Thanks for the help.

Doug
rednoah
The Source

Re: File Renaming

Post by rednoah »

What are .wtv files??? You mean like "1x01.wtv"? FileBot currently doesn't recognize "wtv" as video file and thus ignores them.

1. As for using "Episodes" panel:
Save as text file -> lose all metadata, no formatting
Drag and Drop (the whole list) or Copy and Paste (selected episodes) directly into "New Names" -> keep all the metadata for formatting
(btw this works within one instance of FileBot but also between two instances of FileBot)

2. As for the purpose of "Episodes" panel:
Fail-save for when automatic lookup/matching doesn't work or messes up, i.e. selecting episodes and copying / dragging them into "New Names".
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

So I googled what wtv shows are and added it as video filetype. Everything should work just fine right out of the box with the next release (probably sometime this weekend).
dengland

Post by dengland »

Thanks for the prompt response.

From wikipedia:
WTV (Windows Recorded TV Show) is a proprietary video and audio file container format, developed by Microsoft used for storing TV content recorded by Windows Media Center. It is used in Windows Vista starting with Windows Media Center TV Pack 2008, and all Windows Media Center editions of Windows 7. The WTV format is the successor to the earlier DVR-MS file format that was used in Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Multiple data streams (audio and video) are wrapped in a container with the file extension WTV. Video is encoded using the MPEG-2 standard and audio using MPEG-1 Layer II or Dolby Digital AC-3 (ATSC A/52).[1] The format extends these standards by including metadata about the content and digital rights management.[2] Unlike the earlier DVR-MS format, WTV does not use ASF as the underlying container format.

VideoRedo will recognize the files as MPEG 2 and let me edit those files to remove the commercials. (Mediainfo will say they are MPEG2 files)

So, my Fringe episode from season 4 are like:
  • One Night in October.wtv
    Alone in the World.wtv
    Subject 9.wtv
Episodes would be
  • Fringe - 4x01 - Neither Here Nor There
    Fringe - 4x02 - One Night in October
    Fringe - 4x03 - Alone in the World
    Fringe - 4x04 - Subject 9
    Fringe - 4x05 - Novation

If FileBot does not think they are video files, that would explain why the look up fails.

I was able to rename 10 episodes of The Big Bang Theory by using the "load the text file in the New Names area.
BBT.JPG

If I rename a WTV file to MPG the "Fetch Episode" works.
Fringe.JPG
So, I think the mystery is solved. Any chance in the next version you can add WTV as a valid/recognized video file?

Thanks,
Doug
Last edited by dengland on 23 Nov 2011, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
dengland

Post by dengland »

Looks like I took too long to type my response. Thanks for adding WTV support. I will watch for an update.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

btw u can modify the app a bit yourself to make this work:
1. open filebot.jar as zip archive
2. add an entry for wtv in filebot.jar/net/sourceforge/filebot/media.types
dengland

Post by dengland »

That worked.

I had a terrrible time trying to update the jar file. I extracted media types and made the edit. I had trouble getting the media.types in the right directory in the jar file. WinRar and Winzip both kept putting the file one level down instead of .../sourceforge/filebot. I also tried to build the entire jar from what was extracted and java did not like that. Finally, I just let it put the file in the wrong place, deleted the wrong file, and moved the updated one it down into the right directory from within winzip.

Thanks for the suggestion.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

That's seems much more troublesome than it should be. Try 7-zip, that has worked really great for me with pretty much any archive type, updating files is easy as pie.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Fixed with 2.3
dengland

Post by dengland »

Thanks for the update !!
dengland

Post by dengland »

I am not finding were to see current version number of what I am running. I think I updated right away to 2.3, but 9 days later, I cannot remember. You may want to add a Version number in the title bar or something. Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Install / Uninstall software panel will display the version. Also you can do "filebot -version" from cmdline.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

btw the next version will check for updates and tell you if there's any