Settings file location

Any questions? Need some help?
thingomy

Settings file location

Post by thingomy »

I am trying to migrate from a broken Mac to Linux, and I want to take my fairly long carefully crafted format strings with me.To do this I need to find the config file location. the following did not work:

~/Library/ ... contains 3 files that don't look too helpful.
/Library/ ... contains nothing useful.
~/.filebot/ ... contains some data, but no actual configuration.

Thanks,
Thingomy
skullzy
Power User

Re: Settings file location

Post by skullzy »

(Windows user here) I don't think you can grab the configuration file.. unless it's a portable version of the application.. But from what I understand, filebot saves this kind of data within the application itself.

Did you check?
~/Library/Application Support
~/Library/Preferences
/Applications/Filebot.app/Contents/MacOS/

Unfortunately the only way I could see you doing this, which would prevent future nuisances.. would be to create a script containing the format string.. example;

Code: Select all

filebot -rename "Filename" --format "{n} {y}" -non-strict
The code above would always remain the same, no matter what OS you're running it on. The only difference would be the coding surrounding it in order to grab the files you wish to process..

Good luck, hope you figure it out :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Preferences are stored in a system-dependent manner, which on Windows would be the registry, and on Mac the Mac OSX preferences system, and on Linux .properties files, or something like that, so it's not a matter of copy and pasting some files.

If you wanna migrate formats from the GUI I recommend copy & pasting them somewhere.

If you need to recover the data from a broken Mac you'll probably need to look into tools that let you open those Mac OSX preferences files. It should be much easier than Windows recovering registry data at the very least! :D
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
cheaters

Post by cheaters »

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add the location of the files for any Mac user who's interested.
On Mac OS X 10.12.x Sierra:

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Preferences
I haven't tried copying and pasting this into the same folder on another user's account. Try at your own risk.
ChefGregS

Post by ChefGregS »

@rednoah,
What are the keys for the settings in the windows 10 registry? I have to move mine to a new system (still have the old) and do NOT wish to try and come up with all the cool things I have set up already.. I will. But would rather just save the registry and load it into the new system...

Greg
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot r8006 will now has dedicated buttons for that:
viewtopic.php?t=4205

Alternatively, you can use these commands to export / import your settings from / to the registry:

filebot -script fn:preferences --output /path/to/folder

filebot -script fn:preferences /path/to/folder/user.prefs.xml
dsplzion

Post by dsplzion »

While I appreciate knowing how to export the settings from a running copy of filebot, the question still remains... what registry keys hold the settings? I'm trying to recover from a crashed windows computer and can't run the old version.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

IDK. FileBot uses the Preferences API and how that maps to the Windows Registry is an implementation detail that FileBot itself doesn't know. Should be HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs according to Google though:
https://stackoverflow.com/a/1320798

:idea: Note that as far as FileBot is concerned, you can restore all settings by restoring the %APP_DATA%/FileBot folder. FileBot will regularly export your preferences to %APP_DATA%/FileBot/preferences.backup.xml so you can transfer and restore your settings universally across all platforms as long as you still have access to your user home files.
SeanR

Post by SeanR »

Hi, is there any config or xml backup on the windows 10 App, the one from the windows store? i would like to restore from backup thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, same as the above. Store apps have their own dedicated app data folder though. Please see FAQ for details.

EDIT:
rednoah wrote: 16 Nov 2011, 16:46 Q: Where is the application data folder?
The default location for application data such as log files is %APP_DATA% on Windows and ~ on Mac and Linux. Please Press F5 if you need help finding your Image Application Data location.

e.g. Windows:

%APPDATA%\FileBot
:idea: Press Win+R, then paste %APPDATA%\FileBot, then hit ENTER to open the FileBot application data folder.

e.g. Mac, Linux, BSD:

~/.filebot
e.g. Mac App Store:

~/Library/Containers/net.filebot.FileBot/Data/Library/Application Support/User Data
e.g. Microsoft Store Store:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot