does this work for music/mp3 files?

Any questions? Need some help?
peinal

does this work for music/mp3 files?

Post by peinal »

I have a huge (55K) MP3 files collection that I would like to have Plex work with. Unfortunately my naming convention is seriously disliked by the Plex server software.(after adding my root directory of d:/mp3 it found no files whatsoever). I just found a link to FileBot on Plex forums --so I'm completely new to FileBot, so please forgive me if these are dumb questions. I couldn't figure out how to post a screen shot here so my explanation below would be clearer.

Is FileBot a good tool to auto rename the MP3 files so that Plex will be happy? Everything I've seen on the FileBot site seems geared to Movies/TV Shows--not Music, so I don't know if I should use FileBot for this (or is there a recommended program similar to FileBot for MP3 files?).

My naming convention follows the convention:

Major class/alphabet letter/Artist/Album/artist - song# songname.mp3

for example, my major classes are Classical, Country, Bluegrass, Christian, Pop-Rock, Christmas, etc, alphabet letter is for every major class, 26 subdirectories A-Z

a couple of detailed examples:

Pop-Rock/L/Led Zeppelin/Houses Of The Holy/Led Zeppelin - 02 - The Rain Song.mp3
Country/O/Oak Ridge Boys/Colors/Oak Ridge Boys - 11 - Thank God For Kids.mp3

I am unsure on the Plex side, but think I will need separate libraries for the Major-classes. And the organization would be:

Library Country_Music:
Oak Ridge Boys/Colors/ 11 - Thank God For Kids.MP3
etc

Library Pop-Rock_Music:
Led Zeppelin/Houses Of The Holy/02 - The Rain Song.MP3

Thanks for any help/tips/recommendations you can provide.
rednoah
The Source

Re: does this work for music/mp3 files?

Post by rednoah »

If you have MP3 files then it's best to properly tag them. Organizing music files probably doesn't help much if they're not or badly tagged. That's very different from video files were tags generally don't exist.

I recommend MusicBrainz Picard to tag files first:
https://picard.musicbrainz.org/

FileBot will move and rename files, but it won't tag the files (as FileBot does not modify the file content in any way).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
peinal

Re: does this work for music/mp3 files?

Post by peinal »

Thanks for the info. I will check out your recommendation.

Best regards.