"suball" isn't downloading the right subtitles

Any questions? Need some help?
pstnta
Donor

"suball" isn't downloading the right subtitles

Post by pstnta »

Hi,

I'm trying to run suball on a directory full of movies which were downloaded a while ago. They all have the correct plex names ex: "Movie Name (2005).mkv", instead of torrent names like "Bla.Bla.BluRay.1080p.Group.mkv".

I ran filebot -script fn:suball /mnt/Movies1/Movies/ --def maxAgeDays=900 --def maxAgeDaysLimit=n

The movies are all BluRay rips but this is an example of what it downloaded :

Export [Resurrecting.The.Champ[2007]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo.en.srt] as [SubRip / UTF-8]
Writing [Resurrecting.The.Champ[2007]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo.en.srt] to [Resurrecting the Champ (2007).eng.srt]
Export [Lady.In.The.Water[2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo.srt] as [SubRip / UTF-8]
Writing [Lady.In.The.Water[2006]DvDrip[Eng]-aXXo.srt] to [Lady in the Water (2006).eng.srt]

Some were DVD subs, others were for BluRay but still didn't sync. Am I missing a command? I thought that by default, CLI commands defaulted to "exact" or "hashed" subtitle search, eliminating the need for the movie files to have their original release file names?

Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Re: "suball" isn't downloading the right subtitles

Post by rednoah »

Does FileBot know the original file names?

Code: Select all

filebot -mediainfo -r /path/to/your/files --format '{original}'
If you have processed files with FileBot, then FileBot will have stored the original filename as xattr, and use that to select subtitles.

If Movie Name (2005) is the only information that FileBot has, and if hash lookup doesn't yield any results, then you may not always get your ideal match.

If you're using only strict mode, then somebody has uploaded bad subtitles with hash. The only thing you can do about that is to find good subtitles yourself, and the use FileBot to upload them with hash again, so that it may work for the next guy.

EDIT:

strict mode also includes tag lookup, so it'll also find subtitles which are uploaded with the exact file
name. Movie Name (2005) is probably used as filename for many different files, and when subtitles are uploaded, this filename is mapped to all of those subtitles.

Tag lookup is only used if hash lookup has already failed, so uploading proper subtitles with FileBot will fix the issue for other users, because they will then get a good hash match right away.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
pstnta
Donor

Post by pstnta »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2017, 02:34 Does FileBot know the original file names?

filebot -mediainfo -r /path/to/your/files --format '{original}'
If you have processed files with FileBot, then FileBot will have stored the original filename as xattr, and use that to select subtitles.
No they were renamed before I installed it.

If Movie Name (2005) is the only information that FileBot has, and if hash lookup doesn't yield any results, then you may not always get your ideal match.

If you're using only strict mode, then somebody has uploaded bad subtitles with hash. The only thing you can do about that is to find good subtitles yourself, and the use FileBot to upload them with hash again, so that it may work for the next guy.
It's just weird that only like 5% of movies have the right synced subs, especially for english ones.

EDIT:

strict mode also includes tag lookup, so it'll also find subtitles which are uploaded with the exact file
name. Movie Name (2005) is probably used as filename for many different files, and when subtitles are uploaded, this filename is mapped to all of those subtitles.

Tag lookup is only used if hash lookup has already failed, so uploading proper subtitles with FileBot will fix the issue for other users, because they will then get a good hash match right away.
filebot -script fn:suball /mnt/Movies1/Movies/ --def maxAgeDays=900 --def maxAgeDaysLimit=n

is the command right for hash lookup ?

Otherwise, is there a way to prioritise keywords ? like "bluray" in a subtitle filename to try and avoid DVDRIP subs ? or simply HD subtitles since OSubs has that filter.

Thanks for the reply!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you use -non-strict then FileBot will only use HASH and TAG lookup. If there's multiple matches, it'll pick the one most similar to your current (or original if xattr is available) filename. Adding "BluRay" to the filename should make it more likely that a subtitle with "BluRay" in the name gets matched.

You can use the osdb.explain script to see what subtitles are available for a given file:

filebot -script dev:osdb.explain /path/to/file
pstnta
Donor

Post by pstnta »

rednoah wrote: 03 Jul 2017, 15:28 1.
If you use -non-strict then FileBot will only use HASH and TAG lookup. If there's multiple matches, it'll pick the one most similar to your current (or original if xattr is available) filename. Adding "BluRay" to the filename should make it more likely that a subtitle with "BluRay" in the name gets matched.

You can use the osdb.explain script to see what subtitles are available for a given file:

filebot -script dev:osdb.explain /path/to/file

Thank you!

One last thing, unrelated to the original question. In my library, there are about 10% of movies that have the wrong name. For example the movie Sleuth, the 2007 version was named as the 1972 version, and yet plex detected it as the 2007 version. Since Plex was able to figure out it had the wrong name, is there a way to make FileBot do the same and rename based on everything except file name (I'm guessing hash and runtime)?

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'm pretty sure that Plex just accidentally got it right. :lol: I've never heard of Plex using any kind of hash lookup. You could look at the mkv title metadata and see if that contains the right information.

OpenSubtitles hash lookup sounds great in theory, but then you realize that lots of hashes are wrong or ambiguous. Might work. Might not. FileBot has abandoned OpenSubtitles for anything but download subtitles.