Question regarding 'VF' and 'AF' usage

Any questions? Need some help?
eherberg

Question regarding 'VF' and 'AF' usage

Post by eherberg »

I was experimenting with using the 'vf' and 'af' bindings in my naming format - and I guess I'm not 100% sure I understand their usage. Previously, my format has been a pretty simple {home}/Videos/{plex} format. Most of my renaming comes from using the command-line, however I was experimenting using the GUI with the above bindings. I was thinking they may be helpful to have in the name for perhaps better subtitle matching by subzero and also simply as a handy visual reference in file explorer as to what was HD, SD, 2 channel, 6 channel, etc.

At the moment, most of my filebot usage is from a laptop where items that are mostly 'watch-and-delete' are kept. Items that are going to be kept long-term get moved to another storage drive. This will likely change in the near future when I add an Nvidia Shield to the setup and use that as my primary Plex server. The reason I mention this is due to the 'sample file' that comes up with 'vf' and 'af' bindings.

I have Mediainfo on the machine and it works with filebot nicely. I assumed that if I enabled those bindings, Mediainfo simply reads each file and populates accordingly. When I got the warning about no sample file when I was editing the format - I pointed it at one and, of course, it worked normally. It was a 'watch-and-delete' file, however so it wasn't available the next time I was fiddling with the bindings.

My question: Am I correct that a sample file for those bindings needs to be always present when using them for new renames? The bindings require that template to use when examining files afterwards?

My above experimentation may be moot - as I discovered when renaming subtitle files. If I bring them in the same rename window as the video file and use something like {home}/Videos/{plex}-{vf]-{af} -- the subtitle file, of course, does not get a video or audio binding which means the name of the subtitle file does not have the same name (plus the language indicator) as the video file - which Plex then doesn't handle well in language identification. I may be better served simply doing subtitle handling through the subtitle download and rename option in the separate Filebot section -- or simply go back to my standard {home}/Videos/{plex} format which works perfectly when doing files and subtitles at the same time and keep track of which files have what format another way. :-)
rednoah
The Source

Re: Question regarding 'VF' and 'AF' usage

Post by rednoah »

No, the sample file is just use as a sample when you open the Format Editor without sample data when testing a new format. When your format is applied to a real object/file match, it'll use the information from that specific object/file match of course.

You can open the Format Editor with real Object / File values by double-clicking the Movie / Episode item in the New Names list.

If you use bindings such as {vf} on subtitle files then FileBot will do it's best to retrieve the actual value from a related video file. However, if subtitle file and video file have completely different names, then FileBot may not be able to find the corresponding video file though.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.