Determine Source / Quality from Frame Rate and Resolution?

Any questions? Need some help?
sadsack5000

Determine Source / Quality from Frame Rate and Resolution?

Post by sadsack5000 »

Hello all,

First time poster so please be gentle.
I'd like to use {source} in my movie remaning but none of my movies have the source filename e.g. (Bluray, DVD, WEB-DL whatever).
My filenames are currently:
12 Years a Slave (2013) (1080p).mkv

I was wondering if there was an expression someone has made to guess the source / quality based on frame rate and resolution from mediainfo?

Thanks in advance
rednoah
The Source

Re: Determine Source / Quality from Frame Rate and Resolution?

Post by rednoah »

Not as far as I know. But if anybody has a large collection of files and comes up with fairly reliable heuristics, then I'd be happy to build that into the FileBot core.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
devster

Re: Determine Source / Quality from Frame Rate and Resolution?

Post by devster »

I think it vastly depends on the types of files you have.
If they're personal rips I don't think any kind of heuristics is feasible since you could be using far better or far worse standards for video encoding than what's generally acceptable.

There are some "minimal criteria" that several tools and website use to filter out bad encodes (e.g. YIFI) but they're a bit too broad or too strict for normal use.
Scene encodes are usually within a relatively narrow range of specs.
And finally there are some hard criteria, such as PAL vs NTSC framerates or >60 framerate that are only possible on specific sources.
So I'm a bit skeptical on this, but it could more easily be done for scene releases.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)