Name files based on past matching

Any questions? Need some help?
Deazo

Name files based on past matching

Post by Deazo »

Hi all,
Please forgive the silly question if it is one. I could not find an answer to this specific need.

I recently switched from using "Personal Video Database" software to Plex.
I have thousands of folders/files and I used PVD to generate .nfo files containing imdb numbers in each movie folder and I got Plex to use these .nfo files to match the movies with imdb.
It did work really well and saved me hours (if not days) of "manual" matching.

I still have an issue though. My movies are NOT organised as Plex likes them. They are all in their individual folder, named with the title of the movie. No year in bracket.
Now I would like Filebot to rename these folders and movie files to match the format that Plex likes.
I know it can do it via matching with TMoviedatabase etc. But I DON'T WANT THAT. My matching is done and I don't want to have to manually validate thousands of matching.
So my question is: Is it possible for filebot to use the Plex database to rename the files/folders instead?

Thank you in advance.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Name files based on past matching

Post by rednoah »

I'm not sure what you want exactly. Do you have an example set of files you can use to explain your use case? Maybe some screenshots to make it more clear?

How come matching with TheMovieDB is not what you want? Plex uses and expects TheMovieDB, so giving Plex what Plex expects is generally what you want. Please explain in detail with examples or screenshots.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Deazo

Post by Deazo »

Reading you reply I realised I made things a little more complicated by giving you information you did not need to know, sorry about that.

So let's start from scratch:
- I have a Plex Media Server, up and running, with all movies properly filled with the right metadata.
- I am aware that my folder/file structure does not meet Plex requirements (Sorry I do not have a screenshot, but it is very simple):
  • Folder=MOVIE TITLE
    • MOVIE TITLE.mkv
    • MOVIE TITLE.nfo
    • MOVIE TITLE.srt
- So far this does not create any problem, but I would like to start adopting the right file structure for Plex for all coming movies, and for consistency I would like to apply this structure to the already archived movies. The Plex structure is MOVIE TITLE (YEAR), for folders as well as files.

Hence my question:
Can I use Filebot to rename all my movie folders and files in a way that it is using my PLEX database information to rename them?

For example, in my database there are two movies named "Annie", one from 2014 and one from 1984.
I would like Filebot to rename the folders and files for these two movies, using the Plex information that says which one is the 2014 movie, and which one is the 1984.

Let me know if I made things clearer.

Thank you
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, you can just drop your media root folder and then select TheMovieDB.

Make sure to use a format such as {plex} to get Movie+Year syntax in folder name and file name:

Code: Select all

X:/New Media/{plex}
I'm not entirely sure how FileBot will behave in your case because I don't have any examples. I presume that it will ask you to choose a movie option in most cases, but due to the naming and nfo files, the correct movie should mostly be the #1 result.

I recommend using the Repeat toggle button Image on the bottom-right of the selection dialog to auto-select every movie match, and then quickly got through the list of matches to confirm the good ones and delete the bad ones before you hit Rename using the DELETE key. You can deal with left behind files / bad matches in a second pass by selecting the correct option this time around.
Deazo

Post by Deazo »

Thank you,
I really want minimal manual input and I am worried of false renamings to be honest.
You wrote "due to the naming and nfo files, the correct movie should mostly be the #1 result". Are you saying Filebot will also look in the .nfo files?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot does look at NFO files. But NFO files are not a guarantee because FileBot looks at other aspects as well, because NFO files can contain misleading information (e.g. bad movie id) but this is of course not the case in your case.

Please try and report back on your results. I can't tell you what'll happen unless you try, or give me test data so I can try myself. :lol: