[HARDLINK / SYMLINK] Can FileBot duplicate files without duplicating physical data on disk?

Any questions? Need some help?
spezticle

[HARDLINK / SYMLINK] Can FileBot duplicate files without duplicating physical data on disk?

Post by spezticle »

Hey there everyone, i'm here as someone suggested i check out this wonderful piece of software.
I want to make sure that it can handle files like i need them to or you can help me find the info I'm looking for as a new way to think about structure.

I'm most concerned with torrents. i see that it supports rtorrent on linux. what exactly does that mean?
If I am seeding torrent file: my.show.torrent with a file structure of :

Code: Select all

my.show.s01.720p.x264\my.show.s01e01.720p.x264.mp4
my.show.s01.720p.x264\my.show.s01e02.720p.x264.mp4
my.show.s01.720p.x264\my.show.s01e03.720p.x264.mp4
my.show.s01.720p.x264\my.show.s01e04.720p.x264.mp4
and I rename those files, my torrent client will try to re-download them because the original filename is gone.
Can filebot coordinate with rtorrent to tell it there's a new file name or do i have to stop seeding for this to work?
spezticle

Re: Help clarifying filebot's capabilities

Post by spezticle »

Well, i took a different approach. I just left the files seed where they are and renamed with symlink.
I think this is going to work out nicely.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Help clarifying filebot's capabilities

Post by rednoah »

I recommend using hardlinks, as that will allow you to have the same file twice, with different file paths, but using the same physical disk space.

:idea: All my examples use --action duplicate which will hardlink if possible, so if you follow the examples, you might already do things the smart way. :lol:

:idea: hardlinks allow you to have the exact same file twice, or many times, without using extra disk space.

:arrow: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_link#Example
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
spezticle

Re: [HARDLINK / SYMLINK] Can FileBot duplicate files without duplicating physical data on disk?

Post by spezticle »

Ah, trust me i'd love to use hardlinks but can't.
Real media lives on server in cloud. Access in via http (directory listing) and SSH/SCP.
Local plex server is a linux laptop that mounts a SSHFS path to the server. It's on this local plex server that i'm running filebot.
It works well. I might be able to use filebot to script creating hardlinks on the remote server. I can't run filebot on the remote, for sure.