Newbie How to Rename File & Folder the Same

Any questions? Need some help?
mn072065

Newbie How to Rename File & Folder the Same

Post by mn072065 »

I'm new at this and feel so stupid that i can't figure it out. I want to be able to rename for example folder name The Oddball Couple 1975 NTSC-ABCDEFG the movie to be searched via Filebot databse The MovieDB, match the folder and files name the same.

So it should be Odball Couple 1975 both the folder and file name the same.

Please if you explain please do step by step since i can't figure this out. I appreciate anyone time.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Newbie How to Rename File & Folder the Same

Post by rednoah »

I recommend opening the Format Editor, switching to Movie mode, and then playing with it for a few minutes:
https://www.filebot.net/naming.html

You can see custom formats being used in this video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRq2_Pj ... OpS7FfALnd

A format that will give you the naming you want might look like this:

Code: Select all

{ny}/{ny}

The {plex} binding does the same and more, and using absolute paths is recommended for absolutely predictable destination paths:

X:/Media/{plex}

:idea: If you have problems, please post a screenshot so we can see where you're stuck.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
mn072065

Post by mn072065 »

Thank you so much so i figured out some stuff how to use, but using {ny}/{ny} did not change the folder only the file, if i cntl,shift and drop no problem, so what am i doing wrong? And i appreciate your help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

{ny}/{ny} most certainly results in paths such as Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009), which means there will most definitely be an Avatar (2009) folder.

e.g. use this movie format:

X:/Media/{plex}
This format will with absolute certainty give you destination paths like this:

X:/Media/Avatar (2009)/Avatar (2009).mp4
Do not CTRL+SHIFT+Drop unless you know why you're doing that, i.e. it results in FileBot treating a folder as if it was a single file, and that is distinctively different from moving files into folders, and will prevent you from doing anything with files, since FileBot will only deal with the folder as single unit, and not individual files inside that folder.

:arrow: Please provide screenshots that show what you're doing.

:arrow: Please give an example of exactly what you want (e.g. what exactly is the file path you want, including drive letter, etc)
mn072065

Post by mn072065 »

Hi again, i was able to understand just drop the folder and file name and use the movie prefix and it renames both, great, i still don't know how to just choose the folder with file and not use the drop function so it can be automatic, also if i have a bluray movie and the files are BDMW and CERTIFICATE, when i run it thru filebot it will not ruin the movie structure correct? Thanks agin for you help
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you drop entire folders, FileBot will recognize disk folder structures, and add the entire folder as single item to the Original Files list, so the folder will be processed as a single item in subsequent operations.

:!: If you drag a single file from within that disk folder structure, then this file will be added as is, and FileBot will not try to figure out what the disk structure root folder might be.

:idea: If you have X:/Movies/Avatar/BDMV/... then you need to drop in the Movies folder or the Avatar folder for this behaviour to kick in and work correctly. If you drop in the BDMV folder, then it'll be expanded to all the files inside.
mn072065

Post by mn072065 »

Thank you very much