List / Analyze

Any questions? Need some help?
barnonline

List / Analyze

Post by barnonline »

First of all, thanks for an incredible powerful tool!

I had used it less than 10 min before I made a contribution.

Now I want to make another contribution, a written manual.

For that I'm going to ask you a lot of questions...

First of all: What are the purpose of List function? I can load a list of files, and then what?

What are the purpose of the function Analyze? It does not seem very related with the renaming/get subs part. Is it just a "nice to have" or is there a very specific reason?

regards

Erik
rednoah
The Source

Re: List / Analyze

Post by rednoah »

Here's what I wrote in an email a long time ago. But List / Analyze is so simple it hasn't really changed much over the years.
I guess I'll write ya a quick intro on how things are designed, some stuff might be a bit hidden:

"List" panel is really just for creating numerical lists. Episode 01, Episode 02,... Kinda what you'd do in excel I guess. You can drag the list of names directly to the "New Names" list in "Rename" panel.

"Rename" panel is simple but I guess there is some kinda hidden stuff. First of all, right-clicking on the "Rename" button opens a context menu with rename history.
Thing about the match button is, if there are files in the left list, but no names in the list to the right, this button will show the popup to selected a episode source like TVRage etc and match automatically. This popup is always available by right-clicking the right list as well.
But, if there are entries in both lists, clicking the "Match" button will just match the entries of both lists.
Reordering entries in both lists can be done by drag-n-drop and drop, no need for the Up/Down buttons really.

Here's a bit of info on what can be dropped on the "New Names" list:
* text file, every line represents a filename
* dropping sfv, md5 or sha1 files, very much like dropping text files except only filenames are loaded from these files
* from torrent file, every file entry is loaded, including file-size information which will be used for matching to actual files
* dropping other files, these files will be used as template for renaming other files (e.g. drop all subtitles in the left list and all videos in the right list to rename subtitles according to video file names)
* drag an episode list from the "Episodes" panel into the "New Names" panel. This is useful if filebot cannot auto-detect the series name.

The episode naming scheme feature for formatting names only works when Episode information is available, not if just text/filenames are dropped.

Matching:
1. by file-size, but this only applies in case files are matched against torrent entries
2. by SxE or Date information, if "Episodes" are dropped this info is directly available, if there is only text, this information will be parsed from the name. In almost all cases, this step will match everything. Things not note is that when parsing SxE, is that 3-digit numbers like 101, 102 are interpreted as both Episode 101 and Season 1 Episode 1.

Different naming sources have slightly different properties, so it may matter weather you choose TVRage, AniDB or TheTVDB. AniDB only has absolute numbers, so if your anime is named using SxE, then matching will not work. FileBot will consider both absolut numbering and SxE numbers when using TVRage and TheTVDB. So it is possible to convert an anime with absolut numbering into SxE numbering scheme or the other way around. So if matching doesn't work with one source, it might by choosing another with less or more features.

"Analyze" panel is also simple again, just statistics. Thing to note is that you can copy-drag folders/files from the tree to the right. e.g. using the split panel you can check how many dvds you'd need to burn things to disc, and you can directly drop each suggested part (Part 1, Part 2, etc) to your burning application.

"Episode" panel is only for downloading episode lists. Drag-n-drop them into "Rename" panel if automatic-mode doesn't work.

"SFV" is pretty straigt forward as well. Drop files and have SFV files created. Or drop SFV files to check file intergrity. One hidden feature is that if a file is dropped, filebot will try to lookup existing hashes for this files from sfv/md5/sha1 files. This feature is useful if you want to check the integrity of only a few files, not all the files in a given sfv file.

Just stuff of the top of my head. Not very organized. :P
So List is a basic Excel replacement. And Analyze just helps with drag-n-dropping only certain files (i.e. selecting files) and with the mass-extract archives function. I expect it to be pretty useless to average users.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Here's how I use List panel:

1. Create names for Renaming photos:

Use this format Pattern to create new names for the photos using List Panel:

Code: Select all

Photo ({new Date().format('YYYY-MM-dd, EEEEE')}) - {i.pad(3)}
Then drag it over into Rename / New Names and rename my photos.

2. Create a List of GUIDs:

Use this pattern:

{UUID.randomUUID()}
3. Create a List of random numbers:

{new Random().nextInt(10)}
Here's how I use Analyze panel:

1. Extract Archives

2. When I was still backing up stuff on DVDs I used to use the Split tab to split all files into groups of of 4.5 GB and drag each group into the burning software.

3. If you only wanna rename a certain type of files you can use the Types tool and drag only the file type you want from there into Rename. Though you can do that with search *.avi just the same.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
barnonline

Post by barnonline »

Back from vacation.

Thanks for the quick answer and the extra info.

It was as I thought, mostly tools for your own use. I'll make your old email the basis for a written manual.