OpenSubtitles limits

Any questions? Need some help?
NotABot

OpenSubtitles limits

Post by NotABot »

Hello everybody,

This message is primarily intended for rednoah
I just bought a lifetime universal license, I didn't do a whole lot of research into all the nuances of FileBot but I could tell it was exactly what I wanted.

This thread is regarding a warning in this post you made
viewtopic.php?p=8871#p8871
rednoah wrote: 02 Apr 2014, 10:30Fetch subtitles for all files:
You must not lookup subtitles for all files repeatedly in any kind of automated setup, or you will get banned. If you use the suball script in an automated setup then you MUST SET --def maxAgeDays to 30 days or less.

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:suball /path/to/media
What do you mean by you will get banned? I don't have a good grasp on how the APIS are setup for FileBot. Do you mean I'll be banned from OpenSubtitles? Or will I get banned from somewhere else? Subtitle downloading is actually a really big reason I bought this program and I already have a VIP OpenSubtitles account. So I'm really wary of this warning and wanting a little clarification.

Also this ban. Is it for looking up Subtitles to the same file over and over that causes the ban? Or is it caused by having made to many queries through the API? I'm guessing it would be the latter but the more clarification the better!

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Completely New to FileBot

Post by rednoah »

If you abuse the service, they may temporarily ban you from doing more searches or subtitle downloads. I believe the daily limit for non-VIP users is 200 subtitles.

If you run suball on all your files once, it's probably gonna be alright, especially if you're a logged in as a VIP users. But if you run the same script over and over on thousands of files every 5 minutes, then OpenSubtitles might have a problem with that. FileBot does use lots of caching internally so it'll probably be fine, but a reasonable limit such as --def maxAgeDays=7 is just polite if you're calling the suball script one or more times per day.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
NotABot

Re: OpenSubtitles limits

Post by NotABot »

Okay thanks for clarifying!
Really amazing program you have here!