[unRAID] Do you have any tips from your experience building a media archive?

Support for unRAID and docker container users
DoctorBubba

[unRAID] Do you have any tips from your experience building a media archive?

Post by DoctorBubba »

I've been working toward the media server that I'm building now for a year at least. I've spent a lot of time thinking about it and planning and trying different software. I still feel like I'm missing something though.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for things they've learned along the way that would have been helpful to know from the beginning. Things that might make it easier or save time in the long run.

I've seen a lot of talk about arr programs that will automate downloading and renaming, but I've always been apprehensive about automating too much of the process. When I rename files as it is, I'd say the majority of them require something to be manually changed. I would suspect that a fully automatic process would have a lot of errors.

So far what I have done is to make a script that automatically downloads files from a seedbox, and takes torrent files and sorts them by tracker, discarding duplicates. When a download finishes, qBittorrent runs a script that creates a hardlink of the files. Those files go into a folder to be sorted by FileBot when possible.

I'd thought a lot about seeing if there was a way to automatically create a spreadsheet with media info, present and missing episode numbers, etc, but so far I've been proceeding without doing so.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Do you have any tips from your experience building a media archive?

Post by rednoah »

I'd say that they key is to not lock yourself into once specific way of doing things prematurely.

In the context of FileBot, that would mean matching your files and organizing those files into a "primary structure" from where you can instantly re-generate disposable secondary structures as needed:
viewtopic.php?t=13056

FileBot can help generate CSV / TSV spreadsheet files:
viewtopic.php?p=53#p53

FileBot can help with finding missing episodes:
viewtopic.php?p=19132#p19132
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
DoctorBubba

Post by DoctorBubba »

Thank you for the suggestions! I really want to experiment with these scripts but I'm having trouble accessing FileBot CLI via the same docker as FileBot GUI. I'll make another thread about it since that's an unrelated issue.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

It's fairly straight-forward:

Code: Select all

# local filebot call
                                                           filebot -script fn:sysinfo
# filebot call inside a container
docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/volume1 -v data:/data rednoah/filebot -script fn:sysinfo
DoctorBubba

Post by DoctorBubba »

If I'm not missing something, I think the jlesage repository doesn't have the CLI version. That sounds strange but I kept trying the filebot command after opening a console in the docker and it wouldn't work. But I installed the official repository and it fixed that problem.

Now the biggest problem I'm having is figuring out how to call one docker from another docker. Is that what this command is for?

Code: Select all

# filebot call inside a container
docker run --rm -it -v $PWD:/volume1 -v data:/data rednoah/filebot -script fn:sysinfo
I've done Docker exec before but much of this is pretty foreign to me. Does any of this need to be changed for my system?

Thank you!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You can always use the official docker repository:
https://www.filebot.net/linux/docker.html

You fundamentally cannot call one docker from another docker. You would have to set up some sort of network connection between the containers (e.g. SSH) for one to run commands on the other. It's possible but complicated, so effectively not possible. You'll probably want to find another solution, e.g. having your host run your scripts (which may include docker or filebot commands) on a schedule.