Comments on FileBot Pricing Explained

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
donileo

Comments on FileBot Pricing Explained

Post by donileo »

Under the yearly license does Filebot keep working completely featured? Then its your option to pay to upgrade only?
rednoah
The Source

Re: FileBot Pricing Explained

Post by rednoah »

The yearly license allows you to keep using FileBot for 1 year and you will have to purchase a new 1 year license if you want to keep using FileBot afterwards. Your license is not bound to any specific version of FileBot, hence "upgrade pricing" is not applicable here.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
WHatch

Post by WHatch »

Is this discount available by direct purchase through Paddle? I'd like to avoid the Microsoft Store if I can. Thanks!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The life-time license is currently 20% OFF, at 48 USD instead of 60 USD.

The 1 year license is already as low as it gets to keep Paddle fees to a reasonable minimum. The screenshot in the OP doesn't show a discount, but the full price with taxes and fees deducted.
konglong

Post by konglong »

Has this discount ended or will it go through the end of the year?
rednoah wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 15:23 The life-time license is currently 20% OFF, at 48 USD instead of 60 USD.

The 1 year license is already as low as it gets to keep Paddle fees to a reasonable minimum. The screenshot in the OP doesn't show a discount, but the full price with taxes and fees deducted.
marioporfirio

Post by marioporfirio »

40$ is a insane price, happy when the price was 20$.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

marioporfirio wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 07:57 40$ is a insane price, happy when the price was 20$.
I recommend the $6 for a 1 year option.
maog234

Post by maog234 »

You guys are so full of shit. I bought FileBot on the Windows store some time ago for $20. Yesterday it just stops working. I open the store to find that I now need to REPURCHASE IT for a whole $40!! So those of us that bought it before your new (more aggressive) pricing plan, are just fucked?

I'm a professional software dev, I understand needing to be paid for your work, I REALLY do. But this is the SECOND bait-and-switch. It's just not honest. The app isn't even changing! You aren't bothering to develop any other software! You're just racking up the prices any time you can and then pretend like nothing has happened and that users are just whining.
maog234

Post by maog234 »

rednoah wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 08:10
marioporfirio wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 07:57 40$ is a insane price, happy when the price was 20$.
I recommend the $6 for a 1 year option.
What you "recommend" changes nothing. You were still dishonest. You still stole, only through legal means. You're still lazy and still refuse to bother expanding your business, instead milking customers for what they already paid.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

maog234 wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 15:48 You guys are so full of shit. I bought FileBot on the Windows store some time ago for $20. Yesterday it just stops working. I open the store to find that I now need to REPURCHASE IT for a whole $40!! So those of us that bought it before your new (more aggressive) pricing plan, are just fucked?

I'm a professional software dev, I understand needing to be paid for your work, I REALLY do. But this is the SECOND bait-and-switch. It's just not honest. The app isn't even changing! You aren't bothering to develop any other software! You're just racking up the prices any time you can and then pretend like nothing has happened and that users are just whining.
Microsoft Store purchases are life-time purchases regardless at what price point you have purchased the product, and everybody who has purchased FileBot via the Microsoft Store / Apple App Store will get updates via the Microsoft Store / Apple App Store for now and the foreseeable future.

You DO NOT ever need to repurchase the same product on Windows Store / Apple App Store/ Google Store / etc (in fact, you can't purchase the same product twice, the Store doesn't let you) and you will always be able to re-install through the Store, as long as you log in with the same Microsoft / Apple / Google Account under which you have purchased the product.

The most likely explanation for your dismay is that you have purchased FileBot with one Microsoft Account, and then purchased it again with another Microsoft Account. If this is indeed the case, or in the very unlikely event that the Microsoft Store has indeed "forgotten" your purchase, then please contact Microsoft Support immediately so they can help you get things sorted out.
snowybunting

Post by snowybunting »

I became aware of Filebot when my seedbox offered it as an app. I found it amazingly useful so I purchased the universal license so I could use it on my home machine as well. I don't have any questions, just wanted to say thanks for making a program I can use every day and find well-worth the money.
atc98092

Re: Comments on FileBot Pricing Explained

Post by atc98092 »

I was going to bite the bullet, because I do believe developers deserve to be paid for their work. I went into the Microsoft Store and it's now $50? That is not half the price of a lifetime license as shown on the main page. In fact, you show a lifetime universal license for $48, not the $60 previously shown.

So, which is it? Is the Windows only version still supposed to be half of the universal version? I think $25 is a very fair price, and will gladly pay for it. But $50? The entire J River Media Center package costs less than that, and does a whole lot more.

@rednoah, you deserve to make money off of your work. Just please be consistent with what you put on both your web site and the forum post this thread is referencing.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

rednoah wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:43 The $60 life-time universal license is permanently 20% OFF so that customers who have already bought the 1 year universal license once or twice and now want to upgrade to the life-time license get an automatic discount, along with everyone else.

Code: Select all

60 * 0.8 = 48
rednoah wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 06:43 Microsoft Store and Mac App Store purchases are always life-time purchases, and because these purchases are limited to one platform, the price is set to half of the universal life-time license. ($30 plus 30% to account for the Mac App Store / Microsoft Store fee; additional $10 surcharge if passing app review routinely requires additional development efforts)

Code: Select all

30 / 0.7 + 10 = 53

:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=6265

EDIT:

That being said, the $6 per year option is strongly recommended for every user regardless of platform and use case. The $60 per year option exists solely for hardcore fans, which most are not. The Microsoft Store and Mac App Store options exist solely for historical reasons and are strongly discouraged for new users. Don't use them. Don't worry about them.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »