Java or Everything Developer loving this project

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
davidfm52

Java or Everything Developer loving this project

Post by davidfm52 »

Hi all,

This message is specially intended to @rednoah, not much experience with forums so sorry for sloppiness writing here.

I am a Java developer loving this software. I've been using it and following it for the last year, and it is an amazing product (yes, I consider it a product). I don't how you manage to spend so much time and dedication on it.

I am only using the CLI version, as I am building an all-in-one tool for media download automation and organization. There are a lot out there: SickBeard, CouchPotato, Sonarr... but I haven't found anything that does everything (manually search or automated search, pick, download, rename, fetch subtitles, copy or move to filesystem, refresh mediacenter or even prepare for streaming) in a single web app without touching a single config file or being lost in tens of config screens. It will take time, but I am willing to have this and install it in a RPi, desktop, cloud... code once, run everywhere. I don't have a lot of time, it goes slow, something already working.

But well, I would like to ask you something about this project:

- Have you considered moving the whole codebase to github? Maybe you don't need it, but I would consider to contribute. SVN and patches are out of my scope right now...
- What's the future of filebot-node? Is it a specific feature for Synology?
- About filebot-node, can I ask why ExtJS? My company is highly regretting having something like that in the frontend, as it very very difficult to maintain...
- Have you ever thought about moving to a web-based application approach? I know most of the users use the app as a Windows Desktop, but that can still be supported. The advantage of having a webapp would be a run-everywhere approach and use the browser, also embedding webserver options are now fully supported and nice.

Hope you find this somehow interesting or sorry to bother you with off-topic questions!

Thank you for the software, the effort and the dedication!
rednoah
The Source

Re: Java or Everything Developer loving this project

Post by rednoah »

1) The new stuff is all on GitHub. Been using SVN too long to make the switch for the core codebase though. There's a mirror on GitHub though so you can develop against that and then send me patches.

2) Not much. It's a lot of web development (i.e. shit work) and kinda thought there'd be more interest. It's just Node.js so you can run it anywhere. But authentication is synology specific. Someone could easily add HTTP Basic Auth against local user accounts. After all, it's on GitHub!

3) Synology DSM is all ExtJS. Granted ExtJS is quite horrible, but what's the alternative? There's a billion possibilities and I'm sure they're every bit as horrible, just in different ways.

4) The browser is a great platform for making simple things that primarily look good. It is a horrible platform to do build complicated things that need to work well. Considering what filebot does, the browser is utmost certainly not the right tool for the job.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
davidfm52

Post by davidfm52 »

Hi, thank you for your replies, you have it all very clear.

There are some magnificent tools to move a SVN repo to Git keeping the whole history, and adapting it to the git flow. In my very humble opinion, I think moving to Github will bring much more community (even more!) to the project and vibe to contribute.

About the last thing, I think you misunderstood me. Something like filebot will never run in a browser, I was only thinking in putting a web interface and separating the server side of things (API?), so it will run as a server like JIRA, Jenkins etc. It will be more portable than ever, but yes building a web interface could be a real pain, I agree there.

I am very interested in having a look at the codebase and learn a lot from it, as I think it is an awesome piece of software. Actually, what I would like to do is fork it, as in Github and keep receiving your changes. If you finally decide to keep it in SVN (which I perfectly understand the reasons) I may give it a go by myself if it is that ok with you (I haven't read any licenses...).

Again, thanks a lot for your replies, and dedications you put in the project!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

All my builds are automated with SVN, and since Git doesn't have revision numbers I'd have to change how things work there as well. I like having a revision number.

You can follow the changes in my repos here:
https://github.com/filebot

You can keep up with the SVN repo via this Git mirror here:
https://github.com/svn2github/filebot

My "scripts" repo has only gotten 2-3 push requests (and only 1 was acceptable) so even for something like the scripts were contributing would be extremely easy there's almost nothing. I don't expect different for the much more complex and intricate FileBot core codebase.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
davidfm52

Post by davidfm52 »

I would like to contribute. I am finding a bit complex the scripting part, which is awesome on the other hand. What would be the best documentation to start to write good scripts? (basics with bindings, all the supported stuff...).

Like I told you I am building an app that wraps Filebot, Transmission and some torrent feeds (and custom crawlers) to create a total media downloader automated solution, to allow people to get their media in a few clicks, with nearly 0 config.