Why is FileBot for Mac OS X not free?

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
tallguy3968

Why is FileBot for Mac OS X not free?

Post by tallguy3968 »

So, let me get this straight: starting with v4.6, FileBot is free for Windows users, but $9.99 for Mac OSX users?

That doesn't seem fair...
rednoah
The Source

Re: Windows free, OSX not?

Post by rednoah »

Glad you asked! Good time to write a post about that! :ugeek:

FileBot is about ease of use. On Mac OS X the easiest way to get software is via the Mac App Store. Despite it's many faults, it makes downloading free software as easy as buying paid software. ;)

This kind of seamless user-friendly experience is not possible Windows at this time. :( Rest assured that the Windows version will also be $9.99 if and when the Windows Store makes it easy and convenient for Windows users to buy software. However, in the meanwhile, Windows users are encouraged (actively via annoying in-app popups, sorry about that :oops:) to donate via PayPal. :roll:

:idea: EDIT: FileBot is now available on Windows Store and equally prized on both Mac App Store and Windows Store at 20 USD.

The easiest way to install FileBot on Ubuntu Linux is by buying it for $9.95 on the Ubuntu Software Center. However, Ubuntu is just one of many Linux distributions and for most of them there will never be an option to buy FileBot. Luckily, the small number of Linux users are significantly more generous :o than the average Windows or Mac users. Apparently, the Linux folks know much time and effort goes into making software works. :ugeek:

Making FileBot compatible with the Mac App Store is extremely time consuming, and not fun. :x Just being on the Mac App Store comes with a fee. :evil: The Mac App Store is great for users, but horrible for developers. But being on the Mac App Store has become a necessity for usability, because Apple blocks unsigned applications by default.

Thanks to Mac users that buy FileBot, the Mac version has been getting a lot more developer love than it used to. :geek: At this point, the Mac version has priority over the Windows version despite the fact that Windows users vastly outnumber Mac users. As a Mac user, you get better software and better support. :D

Would it help you if FileBot was available for $9.99 on the Windows Store? Let me be straight, if the point you're trying to make is that you don't want to pay for FileBot, then I can't help but feel that you either disrespect my work, or underestimate the value of my work. :? If you don't think that FileBot is worth $9.99 then I politely suggest not using it at all. :ugeek:

</RANT>

PS: How much time did I spend writing this post? Make it worth my while by buying FileBot on the Mac App Store, or by installing it via brew cask and then donating. Personally, I prefer the latter because Apple won't get it's 40% cut that way. :twisted:
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
E7ther

Re: Why is FileBot for Mac OS X not free?

Post by E7ther »

Yeah I can see why you wouldn't want to have to deal with the Windows. wants it to be.

Have you thought about selling direct off your site? I've done it a few times using some of the eCommerce plugins for WordPress. They actually have pretty good Software licensing add ons now.

Just curios
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I want the best user experience. The Mac App Store makes it easy for users to pay for software and I support people getting paid for their work. ;)

EDIT: Apple takes 30% (US) to 50% (EU) of sales, but I kinda value user experience over profit, so that's just how it is.

FileBot can be bought on the Ubuntu Software Center, and will be available for sale on the Windows Store if and when Microsoft allows classic applications.

FileBot is free for all platforms where paying for software is a horrible experience. Manual downloads, credit card details, sending licence codes, entering licence codes to unlock software, etc. It's just a horrible way of doing things.

PS: Because the Mac App Store has certain restrictions (e.g. CLI tools, Subtitles, etc) there is also a brew cask package for advanced users. These users are expected to make a PayPal donation, or risk bringing shame on their house, as the Klingons say. ;)
E7ther

Post by E7ther »

Makes sense.

Its always cool to see a dev putting users first. I just like to see the people how bake the cake get payed instead of rich fruit companies ;)

Keep up the grate work man!
McKentin

Post by McKentin »

I don't want to be cheap.. But where can you find iT for 9,99 on osx? Mine is saying 19,99..
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've tried that for a year, but FileBot was simply not sustainable at 10 EUR. It's now 20 EUR because it has great value (because it saves you many hours of shitwork) but has very few potential users (thus the 1 EUR price levels you see for mobile games used by millions of users are not sustainable for specialized tools like FileBot).

The change was somewhat inspired by this article:
https://daringfireball.net/2016/08/vesper_adieu
McKentin

Post by McKentin »

Rednoah thanks for your reply. I understand and i Will pass on it. Sorry bro just not worth the money for something i would use for like à hour each month. Keep up the Good work and time spent on developing this app.
Mitchumus

Post by Mitchumus »

I've been using the app for the last year or so, and its probably the most useful organizer I've ever seen or used.

I wanted to say thank you, and here seems as good a place as any. I also just paid for it on the windows store.Woooo I no longer feel like I'm mooching.

Keep up the good work!

P.S. Seriously, you have saved me countless hours...days...months renaming my media. THANK YOU
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Much appreciated. I'm glad that the Window Store works well for you. Secure software installation and automatic updates be with you. ;)
c17r

Post by c17r »

I bought Filebot via MAS 2 years ago but installed/updated via homebrew since literally every other piece of software I use is installed that way, even MS Office and Parallels, and I have it scripted with my dotfiles install.
PS: Because the Mac App Store has certain restrictions (e.g. CLI tools, Subtitles, etc) there is also a brew cask package for advanced users. These users are expected to make a PayPal donation
Except you've now taken that option away. You submitted the PR to brew to only do CLI and everything else points to MAS.
FileBot is about ease of use....I want the best user experience
Except now it's a kinda crappy user experience. Now I have to install it via MAS. Fire it up and all my settings are gone, gotta re-do those. Fire it up again and no more subtitle functionality, now I gotta install a 2nd application that is neither brew nor MAS. It's annoying enough to make one look for a different tool.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If it was just brew or chocolatey it'd be fine. These are all power users and the numbers are negligible. However, sites like Softpedia and a few hundred other ones just like it mirror the packages I upload for brew cask.

The average user will not buy FileBot on the Mac App Store if they can just download a fully functional version from Softpedia after googling for half a second. The average user will also not donate or buy the app anyway to support the author. That is a problem.

However, power users can still brew cask install filebot and call filebot (CLI or GUI) on the command-line.
cubitus

Post by cubitus »

rednoah wrote:However, power users can still brew cask install filebot and call filebot (CLI or GUI) on the command-line.
No, power users (who actually did a paypal donation a while ago but never bought the MAS app as the MAS is a terrible system) got fed up by the change in brew and EITHER:

- Stay on 4.7.2 and blocked communication with filebot.net with Little Snitch / hostfile to prevent the nagging update dialog showing up each launch.

- edit the interestingly named "purchase.sh" into

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/filebot
- restore FileBotAppLauncher from 4.7.2 and edit Info.plist to

Code: Select all

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>FileBotAppLauncher</string>
- Replace "FileBot_4.7.2.jar" by "FileBot_4.7.5.jar" in version 4.7.2

AND they also create an account on this forum to <RANT> as they are fed up with devs when they are dishonest.
Filebot is a great tool (that's why I donated ~2 years ago, I'm also a dev and know how time consuming this is) but MAS is a fake excuse:
- Apple do not prevent to release a signed version outside of MAS (but you still need to pay the $99 annual fee to get a dev account, which is a shame I agree).
- You can still release unsigned software (users just need to right click once, not too hard). This is what I do for my apps.
- It's not an excuse to release crippled software via brew.
- If softpedia is a problem (I guess blocked application was not a problem for the average user then?) you have the option to contact them to get your software removed from their site.

Don't get me wrong, I do NOT regret my donation, I enjoyed FileBot for almost 3 years, and I DO understand that you want to make money from it.
But I do not approve the way you did or how you try to justify it and will probably switch completely to an alternative that I tested the last month and works just as fine.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I'd have set up an Alfred Workflow to just call filebot but your approach will work too, if you're an Apple developer-level power users that knows how app bundles work.

Softpedia is just an example. There's countless sites just like it, and I can't be bothered to deal with any of them. The alternative was to upload a broken package that is then fixed in the brew cask post-install step so you can only use brew cask install to get a working package. Somehow that doesn't seem like a good solution neither.

Selling software outside the MAS is certainly an option. But tricky for apps like FileBot that can't easily use existing auto-update and licensing frameworks that exist for software written exclusively for the Mac platform. Now that even Windows has a fully functional app store, there's little incentive to spend time and effort on something that is mostly already solved by the Mac App Store despite some caveats that Apple unfortunately imposes on apps.

The Windows Store now having full support for Desktop applications (doing a better job than Apple in every aspect) will hopefully remind Apple to finally fix their horribly broken MAS. Not saying it'll happen, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
THR3RAV3NS

Post by THR3RAV3NS »

Hi RedNoah, first off thanks for all of your hard work on FileBot. I use it all the time, and it really has saved me tons of time. I am getting ready to purchase it on the Windows store, but had a question. Will I be only purchasing the most recent rev or is this a go forward licence, with future updates?
Thanks,
THR3RAV3NS
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you purchase FileBot on the Windows Store or Mac App Store then you will get future updates automatically and free of charge.
THR3RAV3NS

Post by THR3RAV3NS »

Thanks!
zymurgy42

Post by zymurgy42 »

rednoah wrote:If you purchase FileBot on the Windows Store or Mac App Store then you will get future updates automatically and free of charge.
What do the Windows 10 users who do not have their PC configured with a Windows account, and don't EVER plan to do so?

G.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The same thing that Apple users do that don't have an Apple account. You just create one. You can use it just for the Store, you but don't have to use it as your login account.
zymurgy42

Post by zymurgy42 »

OK,

Finally got it through Windows Store. Was having an issue when I dragged a file into the Filebot window, I would get a Network error message popup and the file copy process would fail (this has worked perfectly in all version before). Now I admit that I played with the WindowsApps folder (I was trying to create a shortcut) permissions. So I put the Trusted installer back as default. Uninstalled (removed app) Filebot. Rebooted and no Windows Store fails to load. I have spent hours on this and cannot get it to work. I don't want to ever use the Windows store, can I get a normal, regular Windows install version?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This seems to be the wrong thread to talk about Windows issues. Messing with the locked down WindowsApps folder sounds like a recipe for trouble though. Same applies to Mac OS X where app bundles are code signed and mustn't be tampered with.

I have a hunch that you're talking about network shares. Here's some help on how to deal with permission issues on network shares: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4881
iceranan1979

Post by iceranan1979 »

Like I said in Windows thread - paying $19.99 for such a great software is nothing compared to the work the dev puts into it :) Just buy him a coffee for his hard work, would'ya ;)
wolfy659

Post by wolfy659 »

So I've used FileBot for many years now, across Windows first and then on my Macs. It's really unfortunate that Mac users were "punished" since it was easier to use the MAS for the developer. I'd be willing to contribute to the developer (my wife has actually told me multiple times in the past I should), but then the price on the MAS gets jacked up from $10 to $20? And my previously working version has been blacklisted.

Then I went searching for details on this change. The developer was responsive to these questions, but seemed rather arrogant about certain questions once you read far enough into the threads.

I understand that the software takes a considerable amount of time and energy to develop; and I understand wanting more people to contribute, and urging them more insistently to do so. I'd like to assist the developer directly instead of letting Apple benefit monetarily from it. The way this monetization is being forced on users and then raising the price...just seems very uncouth.

I'm debating going back to the painful process of manually renaming everything...the circumstances around this have really just put a bad taste in my mouth.