Bitcoin Donations

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
tuna

Bitcoin Donations

Post by tuna »

Filebot is a great program that normally you have to get some bloated media management software for. I saw at the end of the post for the changelog/notes on v 4.7.2 a line or two about donating via paypal. But no bitcoin address?
Payal
You are losing at least 7% on any donation.
Requires a paypal account or entering of credit card numbers.
Opens open the possability of chargebacks.
Funds can be held in purgatory.
Small donations for a dollar or two get swallowed by fees

Bitcoin
Transaction fees are payed by buyer(/donator)
Chargebacks are impossible
Users don't have to log in to anything, no third party is needed, but..
Third party services like Coinbase and Bitpay can instantly convert donations to USD automatically
Setup cost is nothing
Can easily add a wallet address to Filebot itself so those using the program can donate

I'm not saying you should get rid of paypal, I'm just saying that it is pretty crazy to not accept it when you are a digital content creator.
Also there is no donation buttons on the top level of the domain. At least put some at the bottom of the main page. It's a solid program for free and there is no advertising on the site, nothing wrong with letting users show their appreciation.

Thanks for Filebot and for reading this. If you have any questions about bitcoin feel free to ask.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Donations

Post by rednoah »

There used to be a PayPal and a Bitcoin donation buttons below the Downloads section. I removed them because the click-through rate was negligible, especially for the bitcoin one.

Here's my bitcoin address though, if you wanna join the elusive group of BTC donors. ;)

Bitcoin

Code: Select all

18AaJvd7hmdmP7nfesHammKFJCwVniLwSk
Ethereum

0xbe4D011F5EAbf80Bbd0f8FE381B8538eeE86F380
Litecoin

LVfmEsPyiwXtprwvh31s1EJNr2spJ5TiRM
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
seenhear
Donor

Post by seenhear »

Curious, I made a donation, but there was no where to indicate my filebot forums username, and the email addresses I use for Paypal and this forum are different. So... not that I need help at the moment, but if I did, and I'm to expect a little better attention as a donor, how are you to know that I donated (other than I say so here?)
I'm asking this for myself, but also for any others who might donate in the future.
Thanks for a great product.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you say so, I'll probably just believe you and add the Donor rank to your user. :P

Some people leave their username in the paypal message, or post their paypal transaction number, but it's not like I can be bothered to check those. :D
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.