Multtiple Source(s) in the season folder?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
DevXen
Power User

Multtiple Source(s) in the season folder?

Post by DevXen »

Ok. this is gonna be a doozy. But let me try to explain.

I want to add the {source} to the folder name.

But only if the season is complete.

and Some seasons will have Multiple Sources (HDTV) (WEB-DL) (DVDRip) (BDRip), Etc.

So is there a way to add the source to season folder (Only if it's complete)
and look at each file in that season and see each source and put them all in the folder name
i.e.

[2000] - Season 01 (HDTV & WEB-DL)
[2001] - Season 02 (BDRip)
[2002] - Season 03 (HDTV)
[2003] - Season 04 (BDRip & DVDRip)
etc.

Thanks,
-Dev
rednoah
The Source

Re: Multtiple Source(s) in the season folder?

Post by rednoah »

You're spending way to much time on this. Use a clear standard format. And then let Plex / XBMC do the filter / display / tracking.

Just because filebot allows you to build a crazy messed up folder structure that cannot be parsed by any HTPC, doesn't mean you should.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
DevXen
Power User

Post by DevXen »

That's the perfectionist in me.
I stream my videos to my TV. Throb DLNA. and I haven't found a server that identifies the data correctly. So eventually gave up and decided to organize them myself. Then I just go Through the folders on whichever dlna client I'm using. I'd like to use Xbmc. But it won't stream to my TV. My pc would have to be hooked up to the TV. And the Xbmc program would need to always be running. Then I'd need a wireless keyboard or mouse to be able to use it on my TV. Picking up my TV remote opening the app and finding what I want to watch is not convenient. But that's why I'm going all gung-ho on naming the files. Though that may change if Xbmc building a streaming server that runs as a Windows service.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Especially DLNA server have full support for "virtual folders" and drilling into media however you want. Just find one that works with TheMovieDB / TheTVDB and properly identifies media, for example Plex. After processing files into a normal structure Plex will have no issues identifying everything, at which point filtering is dead-easy. I'm pretty sure it's got DLNA support.

Well, if you want to do it the way you do I can't stop you. :P But keep in mind that whenever you run through your media and it's not instant it's probably fetching lots and lots of data for TheTVDB / TheMovieDB, so make sure this only happens once, and not repeatedly ad infinitum. ;)
DevXen
Power User

Post by DevXen »

I did use plex a few years ago, That's actually when I first found FB, to name files correctly for it. but it's constant monitoring each of the folders for changes, killed my 3TB Drive, it wasn't even a year old. amd under warranty, so that sucked.

Part of the problem, is I have many Specials, and DVD Extras, and Deleted scenes, and there's no database for that stuff, so it tries to identify it, but does it incorrectly. so it'll say i have the same movie, or episode 15 times. and that just got to irritating to go through each one to find what I wanted to watch, When manually going through the folders to find what I wanted, as i generally have them organized by Genre/ShowName/Season #/ ..it just made it much easier to find what to watch. But then I also Put Extras in their own folder, and Specials in it's own folder. within the season they are for, or aired. And I've spent a lot of time manually organizing them all. i'm a little ashamed i didn't realize FB could do so much until now.

I'm not sure how FB is getting the info for the file,if it gets it once per lookup then uses that for the naming scheme. or looks it up once in every part of the naming scheme. Though, soon here, I'll be posting my naming scheme for others, then you or others can look at it, and see if there's a better/more efficient way to do it. in any case, thank you for the advice.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will do various kinds of lookups during search and possibly more if required by the format. Within a day it's fine, it'll cache everything. But if you keep running over and over it'll still fetch the latest data, or at least check for updates, every 3-4 days.

You can use --db xattr which will only process files based on existing metadata, so that'll save lots of requests. But additional info like genres, collection or episodelist that are evaluated dynamically in the format and are not part of the xattr metadata, so those will still be requested at least once a week if you keep running it.
DevXen
Power User

Post by DevXen »

Aww. okay. that makes sense. I don't plan on consistently running it, and my files mostly stay where they are, unless i change how i want them organized. but that last change was like 2 years ago.. So as I get files, they go into a folder, until the season is complete. once it's complete, then i move them to the final/finished location. in this instance, i'm able to put extra useful info in the filename/folders, so i plan on re-organizing them all. but then they'll all stay like that. and i'll just add new ones as I get them. so that'll work great, and the --db xattr, will be useful as well. thank you for taking the time to explain how FB gets its information/lookups.