Rename absolute episode number files to s00e00?

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
Biff

Rename absolute episode number files to s00e00?

Post by Biff »

How could I rename files being named with the absolute episode number (1, 2, 3, 4 etc.) like it is done here

dmt-02.avi
dmt-03.avi
dmt-05.avi
dmt-06.avi
dmt-07.avi
dmt-09.avi
dmt-10.avi
dmt-12.avi
dmt-14.avi
dmt-16.avi

to this format s01e01 etc.?
Newest portable, stable FileBot, Windows 10 Home, 64bit
DevXen
Power User

Re: Rename absolute episode number files to s00e00?

Post by DevXen »

The Easiest way would be with a simple file renamer program. then just replace: "dmt-" with "dmt-s01e"

You can do it with FileBot though. just off the top of my head, you'd need filebot to identify the show. and season. But as long as the show name and season is in the folder. or if you hold shift down, while clicking on lookup. (that allows you to enter in the correct show name - and it should match the season that way too, though I haven't tried.)

then in the output just put: dmt-{s00e00}

This is assuming you want the name to stay dmt-S01E01.avi. instead of having the show name, and episode title included as well.
however, if you want to look into other naming schemes look at: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2&sid=b927d7a445e5f ... ce936573ba
For great examples of the incredible power of FileBot.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much, DevXen.
The Easiest way would be with a simple file renamer program. then just replace: "dmt-" with "dmt-s01e"
That sounds as if you would keep the absolute episode number instead of the season number.
You can do it with FileBot though. just off the top of my head, you'd need filebot to identify the show.
FileBot does identify it automatically, the folder is named "Danger Mouse".
This is assuming you want the name to stay dmt-S01E01.avi. instead of having the show name, and episode title included as well.
Sorry for the missing information, it should look like that:
/Danger Mouse/Season 2/Danger Mouse (s02e03) - The Duel (1982-01-18, 1981)

These are all of the files to be renamed (one is missing), different seasons, absolute episodes number:

dmt-01.avi
dmt-02.avi
dmt-03.avi
dmt-04.avi
dmt-05.avi
dmt-06.avi
dmt-07.avi
dmt-08.avi
dmt-09.avi
dmt-10.avi
dmt-11.avi
dmt-12.avi
dmt-13.avi
dmt-14.avi
dmt-15.avi
dmt-16.avi
dmt-17.avi
dmt-18.avi
dmt-19.avi
dmt-20.avi
dmt-21.avi
dmt-22.avi
dmt-23.avi
dmt-24.avi
dmt-25.avi
dmt-26.avi
dmt-27.avi
dmt-28.avi
dmt-29.avi
dmt-30.avi
dmt-31.avi
dmt-32.avi
dmt-33.avi
dmt-34.avi
dmt-35.avi
dmt-36.avi
dmt-37.avi
dmt-38.avi
dmt-39.avi
dmt-40.avi
dmt-42.avi
dmt-43.avi
dmt-44.avi
dmt-45.avi
dmt-46.avi
dmt-47.avi
dmt-48.avi
dmt-49.avi
dmt-50.avi
dmt-51.avi
dmt-52.avi
however, if you want to look into other naming schemes look at: viewtopi ... ce936573ba
For great examples of the incredible power of FileBot.
Thanks for the link, yes, very needful.

Thanks again.
DevXen
Power User

Post by DevXen »

then be sure to check out the list of examples, you can easily find one there for what you want, from simple, to more advanced like the one i have posted in there.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If the files just don't contain enough information, or misleading information, then you can still just align the files and the data manually.

See video tutorials for details.

@see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tas1c ... Pt&index=7
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks for the link, rednoah,

It does not seem to be that easy. So you manually have to check each absolute espisode number against the relative number and sort each episode manually, if I am right.

Many thanks again.
DavidRTurner
Power User

Post by DavidRTurner »

Biff wrote:Many thanks for the link, rednoah,

It does not seem to be that easy. So you manually have to check each absolute espisode number against the relative number and sort each episode manually, if I am right.

Many thanks again.
I think what you're left with is a manual rename.

Filebot is just using the data available on the dbase website; it doesn't interpret its meaning.
*there are no absolute episode #s for this show; so the dbase is missing any matching reference # - therefore it doesn't have anything to match with!

You'll likely need to:
-manually rename dmt-02 to dmt s01e02
-manually rename dmt-12 to dmt s02e01
...and so on, checking the list yourself to make sure you have the right episodes.

Then, FB can be used to pull the title & format it nicely.
DevXen
Power User

Post by DevXen »

DavidRTurner wrote:
Biff wrote:Many thanks for the link, rednoah,

Many thanks again.
I think what you're left with is a manual rename.

Filebot is just using the data available on the dbase website; it doesn't interpret its meaning.
*there are no absolute episode #s for this show; so the dbase is missing any matching reference # - therefore it doesn't have anything to match with!

You'll likely need to:
-manually rename dmt-02 to dmt s01e02
-manually rename dmt-12 to dmt s02e01
...and so on, checking the list yourself to make sure you have the right episodes.

Then, FB can be used to pull the title & format it nicely.
or. if he separates the episodes into folders per season.. season 01, season 02, etc.
then run it through FileBot, it _SHOULD_ be able to pull the season number from the folder, and the episode number from the episode.
the problem would be if the current numbers are sequential. rather than start over at 1. for every season. that would be an issue, he'd have to either manually rename
or use a renamer program to auto add those number. and remove the others. - a program i used for many years (though it doesn't work with files i rename with FileBot, as it changes the way the Date is saved in the file. and it crashes it for some reason.) is called: file_renamer. it's a great utility. and it's freeware.. it'll allow you to add numbers to the file in Sequential order, based on how they are loaded into it. - with them already being in numerical order, it should number them just fine. so in that case. separate them into season folders, then run the numbering option place it at the end of the files. and then as you are using it. then rename "dmt-" to 'Show Name - S##E'

Which will turn them into:
Show Name - S01E01
Show Name - S01E02
etc.

then run that through FileBot, and the problem is all fixed, easily, in only a few minutes.
.. at least. that's what I would do. (and have before as needed)
Biff

Post by Biff »

Many thanks.

Yes, indeed, there does not appear to be another way than doing it (almost) completely manually. Especially because there are missing some episodes, so there will not be any complete season.

Many thanks again.