FileBot in Windows Store

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
MarFilot

FileBot in Windows Store

Post by MarFilot »

I need some information on the Filebot in Windows Store for Windows 10?

Why does it require me to pay to get it, when I can just get it from sourceforge for free?
I know it takes hours to create this amazing application for us, so I would like to give back, but first, what are the benefits of buying the app from the Windows Store?
Any other info would be grateful.

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Re: Filebot in Windows Store

Post by rednoah »

The Windows Store is the most convenient, most secure and most efficient way to install and update software. Downloading .exe files from the internet is none of these things.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
MarFilot

Re: FileBot in Windows Store

Post by MarFilot »

I'm assuming it updates without my intervention?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, of course. Also, delta updates will significantly reduce the size of each update.
MarFilot

Post by MarFilot »

Cool. Cool. I'll get it soon.
MarFilot

Post by MarFilot »

I bought it!
iceranan1979

Post by iceranan1979 »

Also bought it to support the developer. Paying a one-time fee is nothing compared to the work they put into this project :)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Much appreciated. :)
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

So, you just wanna force people to use this f..... windows store?
Well, tell you what. You will lose a potential customer with me. Maybe others, too.
There are millions and millions of application out there which could be bought on other ways.
Well, you've decided to use these awkward store solutions? Forcing people to create an microsoft account?
Ok, you want it that way. I have to stick with it. And you have to do it without my money.
You would like to offer your customers the best and easy way?
This isn't. Period.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

IMHO, the Windows Store is vastly superior to the old way of doing things. You login with your Microsoft Account when you install Windows 10 and then it's just a matter of clicking "Buy" and you're done.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

No, because just you seem to setup your win 10 with these annoying microsoft account shit, you dont have to. I've never used any microsoft accounts. And I never will be. And you will never get any money from me. So I don't need to click "Buy" anywhere. And I'm done. Fine!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Since you're using your Google account for Android and your Apple account for iOS, it only makes sense to use your Microsoft account for Windows. Please understand that using your Google/Apple/Microsoft account on all your devices is not an issue for the vast majority of users.

The alternative is rolling out my own licensing system, which would require you to log into your "FileBot" account and enter payment details to purchase FileBot, so you might as well do that once with your Microsoft account.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

As I said before. That's your way of seeing things. Have a thought why most people dont just deliver through the microsoft store. In fact, there is only a really small percentage of tools for funtionalities that are tied to it. Guess why? Because the vast majority of users love it that way? Or maybe other developers know that people are pissed being forced to use the store.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The reason is that up until Windows 10 Anniversary Update, publishing classic Win32 applications via the Microsoft Store was not possible, therefore it didn't happen. So you have 20+ years of legacy applications on the internet, and 1 year of developers rewriting some of them for the Store.

Additionally, before the Store, commercial software already had to have their own licensing system, so it doesn't make sense to throw that away and use the Store instead (where Microsoft takes 30% of your earnings).

Note that the vast majority uses the Google Play Store and the Apple App Store. Ask yourself. Do you love it? Do you hate it? Do you love it simply because that's the way it's always been?

I think the vast majority of users just want their stuff to work. "Doesn't work on Windows 7/8" would be a valid argument that I can emphasize with. "I hate Microsoft" is not an argument I can emphasize with at all, because I think the Store works quite well. Microsoft did a good job. It's much more developer friendly than the Mac App Store.
JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Well, fine. You think forcing people it's the easiest way.
Other companies force their customers, too. Now that's an valid argument! Chapeu!