Multi-file episodes

All about user-defined episode / movie / file name format expressions
pjac

Multi-file episodes

Post by pjac »

Hi,

I have 3 seasons of The Twilight Zone in which each segment of each episode has been split into separate files. Sometimes there are 2 (suffixed "a" & "b") and sometimes there are 3 ("a", "b" & "c"). I want to avoid merging the files together (mostly as it will be boring to do so).

For example:

Code: Select all

The Twilight Zone (1985) - S01E01a - Shatterday.avi
The Twilight Zone (1985) - S01E01b - A Little Peace and Quiet.avi
I used Plex to play media, so I want to rename the files to work with that. Plex will then merge them together as a single episode when playing them. That means renaming to the following (or somewhat close):

The Twilight Zone (1985) - S01E01 - Shatterday & A Little Peace and Quiet.part1.avi
The Twilight Zone (1985) - S01E01 - Shatterday & A Little Peace and Quiet.part2.avi
For movies, there is "pi" for "type==MoviePart", but that doesn't seem to work for episodes.

Any advice on how to go about this?

Peter.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Multi-file episodes

Post by rednoah »

You won't get lucky here, because 1x01b is incorrect and doesn't match the database:

The Twilight Zone (1985) - 1x01 - Shatterday
The Twilight Zone (1985) - 1x02 - A Little Peace and Quiet

In general, the {di} duplicate index binding could be useful in cases where the exact same episode matches multiple files and you want to add a sequential number.

You might be able to come up with some creative hacks for pre-processing files. Useful when SxE numbers don't make sense.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
pjac

Re: Multi-file episodes

Post by pjac »

Well gosh :) Made the mistake of checking IMDB and not TheTVDB. IMDB lists the episodes as a single episode per broadcast, whereas TheTVDB lists them split into each segment. Which I guess is technically wrong, but super handy for me at the moment ^_^

Handy to learn of {di}, though. Not come across that before. Thanks!

I ended up using the GUI to do the rename using Filebot's Episodes feature to get the list of episodes and a bit of jiggling with the files to get them in the right order. Done in about 10 minutes total thanks to Filebot.