Files Missing after Rename

Any questions? Need some help?
sheowth

Files Missing after Rename

Post by sheowth »

I just did a mass rename on a bunch of folders and when I went to look for the new folders all of the content is missing. I went to revert the selection and now it's saying that the files are missing. Please tell me there is a way to get these back! I have Windows 10.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Files Missing after Rename

Post by rednoah »

Are you saying files are missing from your filesystem? Or missing from some other 3rd party software that can't find the original file paths anymore?

You can use the FileBot History feature to revert file paths to their original folder locations and file names. These are basic filesystem operations, so nothing can go wrong here, and files can't get lost. Especially not on local filesystems. If you're using remote filesystems then faulty NAS software might cause issues.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
kim
Power User

Post by kim »

I think the GUI had an error you fixed, that result in lost files?
sheowth

Post by sheowth »

I tried to do the revert file path to the original folder location and it is saying that the files location is missing. It tells me to choose another directory. I haven't deleted or moved anything.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Did you double check with File Explorer to see where your files are and where they're supposed to be?

Can you reproduce the problem? i.e. files disappearing when moving them

Can you provide screenshots?

What is the original file location?

Where did you want to move files?

Is the destination folder on a local drive, or a remote NAS drive?

Do you have any other tools or programs that might move or delete files?
Horribungus

Post by Horribungus »

I'm in the same boat (a lot of files missing after a rename and reverting back). I started off by renaming some media files (dragging them over to the left pane, match and then rename). I did this for maybe 400+ media files without issue. Fast forward to today and I start working on my movie files (over 800+) and get through a quarter of them then realize something is wrong. Inspecting the files I renamed show that folders were created with the same filenames as the files I wanted to rename originally. Attempting to reverse this, I reverted back, but the media files are now gone whereas their sub directories are still in place (nothing in the folders). This instance of FileBot is being run in a Windows 10 VM on top of unraid.

Why I reverted

Now 200+ media files are gone now (their sub directories are empty). :shock: Anyway to get these files back?

Edit:
I also get the following error when attempting to revert (not sure what the icons mean under the "new name" column with the chain link - new to this program).

rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Since you have multiple layers of cross-platform file system abstraction, we can probably assume that something is going awry there, i.e. there might be inconsistencies between different views of the file system, i.e. your Unraid Server and your Windows VM seeing different things.

Image means that FileBot / Windows 10 VM think that the new path exists, and thus the file can be reverted to the old path.

Image means that FileBot / Windows 10 VM think the new path does not exist, and so there's nothing we can do with that.

EDIT:

If you get Cannot revert file: A => B then that means that something doesn't make sense, e.g. the file you're trying to revert doesn't exist.

The logic is rather simple, and I can't seem to think of a case where the Cannot revert file: A => B error message can actually be reached, unless your file system randomly reports bogus information:
https://pastebin.com/QAUEKamx