[BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
rednoah
The Source

[BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by rednoah »

In addition to the Patreon experiment, I've been hard at work to bring back full support for all platforms including Linux and Windows 7. FileBot now supports a cross-platform custom license model, which means you can purchase a FileBot license directly (i.e. not via the Microsoft Store / Mac App Store) and then use your personal license on all your machines. Windows 7 / 8 / Server / 10 LTSB, Mac OS X Yosemite or higher and Desktop Linux / Headless Linux / Embedded Linux are fully supported. The Linux Portable TAR build should mostly work on all POSIX platforms such as FreeBSD or Solaris as well.

Without further adieu, the first set of beta builds is available here:
https://get.filebot.net/filebot/FileBot_4.8.2/

Pricing Model: 6 USD per year (incl. 0.8 USD Paddle fee and ~1 USD local tax, one-time checkout, no subscription or auto-renewal)

You may evaluate FileBot without purchasing a license, but it will require you to enter a license when using certain features:

Code: Select all

$ filebot -rename Firefly.1x01.mp4
License Error: UNREGISTERED
FileBot requires a valid license. Please run `filebot --license *.psm` to install your FileBot license.

Notes:
  • The Windows Portable ZIP package requires Oracle Java 10 (i.e. 32-bit Windows is not supported)
  • The Linux Portable TAR package requires Java 8 (with full support for x86_64 and i686 and slightly limited support for armv7l and aarch64)
  • Larger packages (>= 80 MB) include an embedded JRE and thus do not require Java. Smaller packages require you to install Java 10 (Windows ZIP / Mac APP / Linux DEB) or Java 8 (Linux Portable TAR)
  • The latest Ubuntu SNAP package has been uploaded to the official repository and can be installed via snap install filebot.
  • If you're using FileBot Node, you may need to upgrade to FileBot Node 0.2.8.

:!: FileBot 4.8.2 is in BETA. It should mostly work. But a lot has changed and a few things might be broken.

:idea: Feedback is welcome, especially in regards to the licensing / pricing model and the Paddle checkout / payment experience. Feel free to use this thread for discussion and bug reports.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
ryanknapper

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by ryanknapper »

Under what circumstances would I have to purchase a new license? After a point release?
rednoah
The Source

Re: [BETA] FileBot 4.8.2 (with support for all platforms with cross-platform license system)

Post by rednoah »

ryanknapper wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 08:01 Under what circumstances would I have to purchase a new license? After a point release?
If you purchase a 1-year license then that license will expire after 1 year and you will have to purchase a new license then, regardless of the point release you're using. This license model is based on time and not specific to any release or point release. You can think of it like a subscription but without automatic renewal.
cina

Post by cina »

Hi!

How to test purchase? I cannot find link in your webpage nor inside Windows GUI.

Any chance to update docker image to 4.8.2?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Some features will work without a license. However, FileBot will ask for a license when you are about to rename files and give you purchase / license selection options. Same applies to both GUI and command-line tools.

Docker images will be available after the final release. You can use the deb / tar packages in the meanwhile.
billybob1234567

Post by billybob1234567 »

This suits my situation perfectly - I'm using the Synology package (90%) and the Windows application (when it needs some manual intervention). I'm happy to purchase the annual licence, however, I don't see the option anywhere on the website.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

The website has not been updated yet. The new release will tell you how to purchase and install a license when necessary, i.e. when you're about to rename files. You don't need to worry about it upfront. So just grab a release and go with the flow.

:idea: If you manage to rename / move files without a license, let me know ASAP. :lol:
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

Hello,

I'm interested in the Synology version, I installed it but Filebot Node gives me this error;

Error: Could not find or load main class @{java.application.options}

Can this beta version be used with Filebot Node?.

Best regards and thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Albernet wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 10:07 Hello,

I'm interested in the Synology version, I installed it but Filebot Node gives me this error;

Error: Could not find or load main class @{java.application.options}

Can this beta version be used with Filebot Node?.

Best regards and thanks.
SPK build issue. Fixed. Please try the new 01-Jul-2018 03:35 release file. (you may need to CTRL+R reload the page)

EDIT: You'll have to login via SSH though to install your license before you can use filebot via FileBot Node: filebot --license *.psm
plittlefield

Post by plittlefield »

Sounds fine to me, always happy to pay for decent software! Will this version be OK with command line Linux and the amc.groovy script please? :-)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

For sure. Did you run into any issues running the amc script with the latest builds?
NutsandBolts

Post by NutsandBolts »

That's great! I was waiting for a non-Windows Store way to purchase this software.
Rumpel288

Post by Rumpel288 »

Woop!
Nice monetarization idea!
Thats a better variant for all parties :)
frankw

Post by frankw »

Paddle purchasing process was painless, license installed no problem. I run AMC script invoked from Transmission and will report back later if there are any problems.
whocares

Post by whocares »

Will the the Windows Store version still get updates? Do I need a new license when I want to use a linux build?
ZeroByDivide

Post by ZeroByDivide »

whocares wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:37 Will the the Windows Store version still get updates? Do I need a new license when I want to use a linux build?
I asked him at least the first question you asked before.. the "Will the the Windows Store version still get updates?" and he has said yes.. The windows store version will still get updates, and won't be affected by this licensing stuff.. As for the linux build question, yes you will have to buy a new license for linux.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

whocares wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:37 Will the the Windows Store version still get updates?
Yes, of course.
whocares wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 23:37 Do I need a new license when I want to use a linux build?
Unfortunately, it's not possible to transfer a purchase from the Microsoft Store or Mac App Store and convert it into a FileBot Universal License. The systems are completely separate and independent.
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

rednoah wrote: 01 Jul 2018, 11:03 SPK build issue. Fixed. Please try the new 01-Jul-2018 03:35 release file. (you may need to CTRL+R reload the page)

EDIT: You'll have to login via SSH though to install your license before you can use filebot via FileBot Node: filebot --license *.psm
Hello,

With the new version no longer puts the error, thank you. I have already made the purchase but I have not received the .pms file.

How can I get it?

Best regards.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Did you check your email? Maybe in the spam folder? You will have received your license twice, once from Paddle with your confirmation, and once from FileBot with the *.psm file attached.
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 08:40 Did you check your email? Maybe in the spam folder? You will have received your license twice, once from Paddle with your confirmation, and once from FileBot with the *.psm file attached.
Excuse me, I have already received it. I had only seen the Paddle mails.

One last thing, How do I install the .psm file? I must do it wrong because I get an error.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Albernet wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:15 I must do it wrong because I get an error.
IDK. What does the error say?

If you haven't set your license, then the error should say something like this:

FileBot requires a valid license. Please run `filebot --license *.psm` to install your FileBot license.
You'll have to log into your DiskStation via SSH and call filebot --license /path/to/your/license.psm to configure FileBot with your license.
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

Hello again,

It is registered correctly;

FileBot License PXXXXXXX (Valid-Until: 2019-07-03) has been activated.

But it does not work;

\                             .       .
       \                           / `.   .' " 
        \                  .---.  <    > <    >  .---.
         \                 |    \  \ - ~ ~ - /  /    |
               _____          ..-~             ~-..-~
              |     |   \~~~\.'                    `./~~~/
             ---------   \__/                        \__/
            .'  O    \     /               /       \  " 
           (_____,    `._.'               |         }  \/~~~/
            `----.          /       }     |        /    \__/
                  `-.      |       /      |       /      `. ,~~|
                      ~-.__|      /_ - ~ ^|      /- _      `..-'   
                           |     /        |     /     ~-.     `-. _  _  _
                           |_____|        |_____|         ~ - . _ _ _ _ _>
------------------------------------------

[Process error]
I have tried to restart but it does not work.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FileBot Node is running filebot as admin user. If you run filebot --license *.psm then the license will be installed for your current user, so make sure you're logged in as admin user, and not root, or any other custom user.

You can use this command to see which user folder is configured as application data folder:

filebot -script fn:sysenv | grep application.dir
Albernet

Post by Albernet »

rednoah wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 09:56 FileBot Node is running filebot as admin user. If you run filebot --license *.psm then the license will be installed for your current user, so make sure you're logged in as admin user, and not root, or any other custom user.

You can use this command to see which user folder is configured as application data folder:

filebot -script fn:sysenv | grep application.dir
Thank you very much, it was that.

Works correctly. Good product and best service.

Best regards.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Albernet wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 10:27 Thank you very much, it was that.
The latest FileBot Node 0.2.8 update will allow you to upload your license via the WebUI:
https://github.com/filebot/filebot-node/releases

Would you mind trying the latest FileBot Node SPK and confirm that everything works well?