[Feature Req] Replay Renaming

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
slowbiex

[Feature Req] Replay Renaming

Post by slowbiex »

Thanks for a great product, it really was worth the price on the Appstore!
Since I have my media backed up on 2 additional drives it would be very useful to replay a given renaming process (same foldername on a different volume). This should be rather simple since the XML history is already there.

Thx,
slowbiex
rednoah
The Source

Re: [Feature Req] Replay Renaming

Post by rednoah »

GUI or CLI? How is this different from just processing the files again?

I'd create a hardlink / clone structure on the original drive, let's call that our "master", and then rsync that to all your other drives or network storage.

Since files in your "master" will be xattr tagged, you'll be able to reprocess / mirror them instantly using different formats or file filters:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4788
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
slowbiex

Post by slowbiex »

Maybe I didn't understand your suggestion correctly but my problem is that i already have a vast library that is in sync with a current (bad) naming convention. Once I start renaming on one drive, I either have to rsync/copy a huge amount of data or to manually rename on the second drive again..

Unfortunately GUI only since I have the Appstore version of filebot...

[Edit] just bought a 6$ license to the access to the CLI
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Maybe a small example would be helpful?

Does processing all the files change the overall order of files? If not, and if all the files align, then you can just use one set of files as template for another set of files.

i.e. Have you tried dropping your "bad naming folder" into "Original Files" and then dropping your "fixed naming folder" into "New Names"? If you're lucky, all your files will just align. If you're unlucky, then you can click "Match" to match the two sets of files (internally, FileBot will do that by exact File Size match and or File Name fuzzy match to narrow down the correct match if the File Size isn't unique).

:idea: I recommend setting up a a few folders with test data, so you play with it, and share your test setup to make your use case more clear.

Replying bits of the history would certainly be possible with a few lines of custom scripting, and you could run script from the GUI by pressing F5. This solution would require some developer skills though as you'd need to customize the solution to your exact needs.

EDIT:

For example, you could write a history script that generate a bash script with move command for all your files, so you can then run this bash script anytime on any number of folders:

Code: Select all

getPersistentRenameLog().each{ k, v ->
	println "mv -v ${quote k, v}"
}
You might need to adjust the input/output paths to suit your needs.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
slowbiex

Post by slowbiex »

Thanks for the extremely helpful and quick replies - amazing support.

I will take your suggestions and fiddle around with my files tonight!