Moving Windows Store app to D drive

Any questions? Need some help?
sam46

Moving Windows Store app to D drive

Post by sam46 »

Hello, i want to request a license since the microsoft store one does not work well with me, i am trying to transfer it from C to D and i keep getitng erros, microsoft tech could not help me so i did install it manually to D and now i have instant rename before i had to wait hours for a simple rename
rednoah
The Source

Re: Purchased from microsoft store but having issues

Post by rednoah »

I'm not sure what you mean.

But if the classic MSI installer makes things easier for you, then you can request a complimentary universal license:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9517
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
slamdesign

Post by slamdesign »

I also just reinstalled the software (already purchased) for my server and filebot as asking for a serial or reg file. how can i obtain this from filebot.net?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you have purchased FileBot on the Microsoft Store, then you must install FileBot via the Microsoft Store:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6265

:idea: You can't use your Microsoft Store purchase on Windows 7 / Windows Server / Linux / macOS or any other platform that doesn't support the Microsoft Store.

:arrow: You can however ask for a 1 year complimentary universal license which works on all platforms and is distinct from a Microsoft Store purchase.
sam46

Post by sam46 »

rednoah wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 17:43 I'm not sure what you mean.

But if the classic MSI installer makes things easier for you, then you can request a complimentary universal license:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9517
Hi thanks for the reply, what i meant is that windows wouldnt allow me to move the app to my storage device and i spoke to microsoft they couldnt find the solution, so if i wanted to rename, so filebot (installed on C) is "moving" the file to rename it in the same folder which is in D, it is a windows thing some app in C wants to do something to files in D it will act is if you are moving or coping or something like that which takes like 30 minutes to rename the files, and my C does not have the capacity to move the files back and forth, it is just time consuming, i don't know what to do
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

No, that's not how things work. Moving the FileBot executable to another drive most certainly has no effect on how long it takes to move a file, that's generally how things work for any program, not specific to FileBot.

:idea: If you move a file from one filesystem to another (e.g. C to D) then the OS will physically copy the data to a physically different partition or disk. This process is slow and will take longer for larger files.

:idea: If you move a file within the same filesystem (e.g. D to D) then the OS won't touch the physical data at all, and will merely change the directory listings. This process is instant, regardless of file size.
sam46

Re: Moving files takes a long time

Post by sam46 »

hi again, the issue with moving the app from C to D is still persist even when i formatted the disk. I am getting We couldn't move filebot, the publisher of this app doesnt allow it to be moved to a different location error code 0x80073d01 . i couldnt post the screenshot of it so this is the message i am getting
sam46

Post by sam46 »

I can confirm that other apps downloaded from microsoft store can be moved , it was only an issue with filebot and moving it which i believe you have to take the action of this issue, it isnt from user side can you do something about it? i already paid 20$ for it i don't want to pay again for the msi installer
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Can you show screenshots of what you mean by "moving apps" exactly? AFAIK, if you use the Microsoft Store, the installation process and location is entirely managed by the OS, and completely hidden from the user. As a matter of fact, the MSI installer also doesn't support target location and will always install to the system drive.

:?: Why do you want to move FileBot? Do you need to free up space on C drive?

:idea: If you do for some reason need to run FileBot without installing it, like from a USB drive, then I can suggest the Portable ZIP package which allows you to extract to and run from any folder. Unfortunately, you will need a universal license for that.

:arrow: In the case of the Microsoft Store, if you're unhappy with your purchase, you can request a refund with Microsoft, but if it's not a recent purchase, you're likely out of options. I can only offer complimentary 1 year universal licenses. You can do that by following the instructions in the thread linked above.

EDIT:

:!: Please note again that none of this has anything to do with how long it takes to process files with FileBot. It always works exactly the same way, no matter how and where you install FileBot. It's always the same code. There might be other issues, maybe not work or otherwise, that might result in the OS performing a copy-then-delete-move instead of an instant-move operation.
sam46

Re: Moving Windows Store app to D drive

Post by sam46 »

hi should i post it in imgur and post the link here? it is a weird thing i know but apps from 3rd party could be moved from windows 10 add or remove programs but only filebot wasnt able to.

EDIT here is the link: https://imgur.com/ZIF8XL8

:?: Why do you want to move FileBot? Do you need to free up space on C drive?
my media files are on a larger Hard Drive (D)
:idea: If you do for some reason need to run FileBot without installing it, like from a USB drive, then I can suggest the Portable ZIP package which allows you to extract to and run from any folder. Unfortunately, you will need a universal license for that.
yes i tried that but i already purchased, buying twice is not good investment
:arrow: In the case of the Microsoft Store, if you're unhappy with your purchase, you can request a refund with Microsoft, but if it's not a recent purchase, you're likely out of options. I can only offer complimentary 1 year universal licenses. You can do that by following the instructions in the thread linked above.

not that i am unhappy i am just wondering why i am not able to remove it
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I don't know. I've never seen that option before. I seems to be disabled for all Windows Store app and games I tried, so not sure how that's supposed to work.

Let's move on. IMHO, moving FileBot from C to D is not the solution to your problem.

Let's summarize:

(1) We want to process files on Drive D and we want them to be processed quickly. Yes?
(2) We absolutely do not care where FileBot is installed. We're perfectly happy with wherever it may be by default. We just want (1) to work. Yes?

Confirm?

:?: Have you tried processing files on Drive C (e.g. on your Desktop) and does that work instantly?
:?: Is Drive D a network drive?
sam46

Post by sam46 »

Yes i had tested few files on C it was instant, and D is another Hard drive i have installed
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you move files from D to D, i.e. within then same filesystem, then it will be instant.

If otherwise, then somewhere something (unrelated to FileBot specifically) is awry and figuring out what exactly may require some technical skills.

If you provide lots of information and screenshots, then maybe I can help you figure it out.

Try some other external drives and network drives and see if it works correctly for those.
sam46

Post by sam46 »

okay i just want you to test this : install filebot from microsoft store then try to move it via add or remove programs in settings to let say D or any other hard drives you have and check if you get the same error
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

There's a button, but it's disabled. Presumably, because I'm use a Surface Laptop and that one doesn't have a second internal drive.

:?: Why are we talking about "move app to different drive" when the problem at hand is "moving of files on the same drive takes a long time"?

rednoah wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 15:36 I don't know. I've never seen that option before. I seems to be disabled for all Windows Store app and games I tried, so not sure how that's supposed to work.

Let's move on. IMHO, moving FileBot from C to D is not the solution to your problem.

Let's summarize:

(1) We want to process files on Drive D and we want them to be processed quickly. Yes?
(2) We absolutely do not care where FileBot is installed. We're perfectly happy with wherever it may be by default. We just want (1) to work. Yes?

Confirm?

:?: Have you tried processing files on Drive C (e.g. on your Desktop) and does that work instantly?
:?: Is Drive D a network drive?
rednoah wrote: 24 Mar 2019, 18:18 If you move files from D to D, i.e. within then same filesystem, then it will be instant.

If otherwise, then somewhere something (unrelated to FileBot specifically) is awry and figuring out what exactly may require some technical skills.

If you provide lots of information and screenshots, then maybe I can help you figure it out.

Try some other external drives and network drives and see if it works correctly for those.

EDIT:

To make this support request short, and not waste time on either side. "move app to different drive" is not supported. It's not a feature that is particularly relevant to the vast majority of Windows users. Programs are usually stored on Drive C and that hasn't really been an issue for the last ~30 years and the ever increasing size of drives and the tendency of new devices to only have one built-in drive, doesn't really make this an important-for-the-future kinda feature.

FileBot instantly processing files is however an important feature, and I'm happy to help you figure out why it might not be working on your particular machine.
sam46

Post by sam46 »

i want to request a complimentary license for 1 year for now till i figure out the problem i have terabytes of data needs to rename thus will take months if i am going to just use it as i am not
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yes, you can. I think I've posted a link on how to do that twice or thrice in this thread. Just scroll up a little bit. ;)