AniDB Titles Slow Update

Support for macOS users
sirknighthood

AniDB Titles Slow Update

Post by sirknighthood »

Anime titles pulled from AniDB are usually in a general format (ex. Sword Art Online - 01 - Episode 1) and requires me to wait days/weeks and in some occasion manually update FileBot (even between small revisions) to get the desired episode title included (ex. Sword Art Online - 01 - Sword Guy). I have tried using both fetch data and the Episodes Tab to get proper titles. Is there a setting for how often the api pulls from the db? Or can I manually force an update through CLI? At first I thought I just needed to give FileBot time to adjust because I was renaming files as they were released, but checking the anidb website and seeing the episode title there while having inconsistent results with FileBot got me confused. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how the api works / is handled? Appreciate any help.
rednoah
The Source

Re: AniDB Titles Slow Update

Post by rednoah »

FileBot will cache API response data up to 6 days, so you generally shouldn't have an issue processing a new file for a given series once a week. FileBot may use stale cached information if it can't get new data due to network issues, API being down, etc. Maybe the logs will shed some light on what's happening.

Episode 1 is probably the default title if no title has been entered yet. If you help ensure that proper titles are entered 1-2 days before release, then you shouldn't have any trouble.

If you give specific use cases (commands, screenshots, etc) then we can have a look at what's not working for a given specific situation.

You can manually clear the cache, but you shouldn't do this excessively as you might get banned if you request the same data over and over within a short period of time.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sirknighthood

Post by sirknighthood »

System and Other Pertinent Information
  • MacOS Yosemite
  • use the MacOS GUI

The Episode 1 title is in fact the default, but my issue in particular is that the default is being used despite a name being available on the site itself. I don't believe I've had an issue with tv shows pulled from TheTVDB and TVmaze or anime pulled from TVmaze. It just seems to be AniDB in particular. I tried searching for the log files, but they seemed to be nonexistent on my computer so I redirected the output with the following command.

Code: Select all

filebot --log all --log-file ~/Downloads/log.txt

This resulted in opening the FileBot GUI and creating an empty log file in the Downloads directory. I then proceeded to add an example file which in this case is Senryuu Girl Episode 2, retrieved the data using Fetch Data, and the result is the default name which can be seen in the following image.

The result is inconsistent because the website shows the name of the episode just fine which can be seen in the next image.

The log file was not helpful in this case because it remained empty, not showing any errors or other information. After clicking rename, a one line entry of 1 files renamed appeared. Perhaps I performed the logging incorrectly, but performing find in the terminal did not produce any results nor manually looking for other relevant FileBot directories.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

You will find default error log in $HOME/.filebot if you're running the GUI app. This log is distinct from the CLI log that you can specify with command-line arguments.

Here's what I get:

filebot -list --db AniDB --q "Senryu Girl"
Senryu Girl - 01 - The 5-7-5 Girl
Senryu Girl - 02 - Nanako`s Diet
Senryu Girl - 03 - Episode 3
Senryu Girl - 04 - Episode 4
There may be server-side caching. There may be bad timing if you check for new episode data every day, because you might not get the latest data on the date of release.

If you want to see full debug output, then you can enable that via environment variables before calling filebot:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3913

If you do need to fetch the latest data, then you can do filebot -clear-cache once:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1996

But make sure you don't clear the cache in any automated setup, e.g. repeatedly for each filebot call, as that will likely get you banned:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9594
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sirknighthood

Post by sirknighthood »

I found the error log, but it did not have any recent or relevant errors. I used the command to display the episode list and got this:

filebot -list --db AniDB --q “Senryu Girl”
Senryu Girl - 02 - Episode 2
After, I cleared the cache once and got this:

filebot -list --db AniDB --q “Senryu Girl”
Senryu Girl - 02 - Nanako's Diet
So it seems FileBot does work as intended and I'm just renaming rather too quickly and too early, working against the cached data. And I'm guessing updating/redownloading used to fix it for me because it would clear the cache. Now I see what I did wrong, and will adopt a longer interval between rename sessions for ongoing anime. Thanks for the clarification and help!