Where does Filebot now save it's formats?

Support for Windows users
topbanana

Where does Filebot now save it's formats?

Post by topbanana »

Hi,

I've previously just had FileBot's JavaSoft registry key saved to backup all the formats i've used... And just merging that 'reg file has allowed me to restore the formats to FileBot after many, many clean installs of windows over the years. It's worked just great.

But today, after clean installing windows again, merging the .reg file hasn't worked.
FileBot just has the default formats. None of mine.

And when reading the .reg file itself, the syntax is different for storing the formats... Lots of \\ everywhere... So i can't just copy & paste the formats into FileBot directly as needed...

Where are the formats now saved? I can't track the location down.
And can i copy & paste my backed up formats from the .reg file into this new location?
Or how do i decipher the stored formats such that they're the correct syntax for the new location?

It would be excellent if FileBot actually stored these formats in our User Profile, in Documents, or similar... As the work that goes into creating them is massive for many of us... So having them in a user profile means that they would automatically get backed up by windows (etc), and restored when filebot is installed.

Edit: FileBot was installed from Window Store... Has been for a year or two...

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Where does Filebot now save it's formats?

Post by rednoah »

Windows Store apps don't actually use the registry, but a mirrored view of the registry. If you have registry entries, then it's from an older non-Windows-Store version of FileBot, that the Windows Store version gets a read-only-duplicate-on-write mirror of.

Due to this tricky "virtual registry" occasionally crashing the process, newer versions of FileBot (on the Windows Store) use a simple preferences file that's stored in the application data folder:

Code: Select all

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\PointPlanck.FileBot_*\LocalCache\Roaming\FileBot
:idea: You can configure FileBot store your preferences in a user-defined path, e.g. on your Dropbox folder, but that's a separate topic though.

I recommend using the built-in tools to import / export FileBot settings, so that you can import / export your settings on any OS running FileBot in the future:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4205

:idea: Posting formats here in the forums is also highly recommended.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

OK, i've managed to export my current prefs, and see the test format i just made.

But how do i decipher the formats i have from my reg file.
The test format is stored exactly as it appears in the FileBot's UI.
But in the .reg file, it's stored with all the extra \\ everywhere... (Regex is it?)

Here's the first few entries from my reg file:

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\format.recent.episode]
"0"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} - {s00e00} - {t.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+') '}{'('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+') '}({airdate.format('yyyy-/M/M-dd')})"
"1"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} - {s00e00} - {t.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+') '}{'('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+') '}({airdate.format('yyyy')})"
"2"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} - {s00e00} - {t.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+') '}{'('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+') '}({info.network} {airdate.format('yyyy')})"
"3"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} - {airdate.format('yyyy-/M/M-dd')} - {t.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+') '}{'('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+') '}({info.network} {airdate.format('yyyy')})"
"4"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} - {s00e00} - /A /Bit /More - {t.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\, '')} {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+') '}{'('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+') '}({airdate.format('yyyy-/M/M-dd')})"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\net\filebot\ui\rename\format.recent.movie]
"0"="{( n == info.original/Name) ? n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\,'') : n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\,'')+\" (\"+info.original/Name.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\,'')+\")\"} ({y}){' ('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+')'}{' ('+channels.match(\\7.1|6.1|5.1\\)+')'}{' /C/D'+pi}{'.'+lang}"
"1"="{n.replace(':','-').replace/All(\\[?]\\,'')} ({y}) {'('+vf.match(\\720[p/P]|1080[p/P]|2160[p/P]\\)+')'}{' /C/D'+pi}{'.'+lang}"
It took me bloomin' ages to create these, a lot of reading of forum posts, but it was years ago, and i've forgotten what i needed to know to create them, or to know how to alter the above.

Thanks.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

.reg files don't contain values verbatim, but in an encoded form:

https://superuser.com/a/479110/349721

Just import the .reg file into your registry, and then open regedit, find the key, and copy & paste the actual value from there.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Ah perfect!
That's easy.
Thanks again.
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

rednoah wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 10:23:idea: You can configure FileBot store your preferences in a user-defined path, e.g. on your Dropbox folder, but that's a separate topic though.
Indeed.
I've created a Feature Request post here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10688
This request that FileBot stores our custom in our User Profile folder, the same as documents, photos, other created work does, such that it will automatically be backed up. So any system crash or clean OS install will allow easy or automatic restoring of our format creations.

Thanks.