Poll: Hand's up who's lost all of their custom formats after a crash/reinstall?

Any questions? Need some help?
topbanana

Poll: Hand's up who's lost all of their custom formats after a crash/reinstall?

Post by topbanana »

How many of us have previously lost all the custom formats we've spent hours, days, weeks crafting, after our HDD crashed, or we clean-installed our OS, etc, etc...

I did a few years ago, and spent hour trying to recreate them all. Frustrating as hell.
I then searched the registry and found where they hid, so backed up the recreated ones such that i don't lose them again!
Their location has now move to deep in the AppData folder. But this folder is not backed up usually.

I've requested that FileBot perhaps stores these Formats we create somewhere in our home, profile folders, such that they automatically get backup up.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10688
devster

Re: Poll: Hand's up who's lost all of their custom formats after a crash/reinstall?

Post by devster »

I can get behind FileBot (GUI) storing formats in XDG_DATA_HOME or similar locations for Win.
That being said, I would argue that whoever has complex, custom formats usually isn't an average user and it might be far easier storing them in a separate text file in a git repository or in Dropbox. After all, if you spent time to create something it should also be in your interest to preserve it and it'd take a copypaste to do it.
I only work in black and sometimes very, very dark grey. (Batman)