Legality of a private build.

Talk about the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything
MorganBlack

Legality of a private build.

Post by MorganBlack »

I've build Filebot by myself and removed all the licensing stuff from it.

Is it legal for me to use it as long as I don't distribute my build?

I just don't get the whole "don't be a d*** license", source being open and having to pay for the software.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Legality of a private build.

Post by rednoah »

I would be prefer that you purchase a license like everyone else, and use the official builds (especially if you didn't do anything other than remove the license check). The DBAD license strongly suggests as much. Obviously, I'm not gonna sue you for $6 from the other side of the planet.

FileBot being open source is about idealism, and not capitalism. Maybe eventually there'll be this one guy who ruins it for everyone, but for now there is no particular reason not to be open source, as all software should be (although there's also no particular reason to be open source either, other than on principle).
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
howdymilsap

Post by howdymilsap »

MorganBlack wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 12:01 I've build Filebot by myself and removed all the licensing stuff from it.

Is it legal for me to use it as long as I don't distribute my build?

I just don't get the whole "don't be a d*** license", source being open and having to pay for the software.
What is your time worth? Why would you spend the time to do this to get around a $6 license?
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

howdymilsap wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 02:57 What is your time worth? Why would you spend the time to do this to get around a $6 license?
An impeccable argument indeed.

FileBot is easy to build, and no matter how skilled you are, it's probably gonna take you at least half an hour to get all the dependencies and build tools working. That's why investing your own time to make your own build is kinda ok, if you happen to have far more time than money, while sharing it with others who can't be bothered to do the same is very much frowned upon.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Borba wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 16:26 There is always a person who spends a lot of time to bypass a license, no matter what it costs him. It is like a sporting interest!
Cracking open-source software doesn't exactly give you blackhat hacker bragging rights. :lol:
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Cracking open-source software isn't exactly a personal achievement either. :lol:
MorganBlack

Post by MorganBlack »

Loads of butt hurt comments speculating on my motives but no straight answer... go figure.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Straight Answer:

* You can have your own private build, if and only if you own a valid license. Disabling the license check is frowned upon.

* You explicitly cannot disable the license check and then distribute your private build.
howdymilsap

Post by howdymilsap »

MorganBlack wrote: 01 May 2019, 16:03 Loads of butt hurt comments speculating on my motives but no straight answer... go figure.
Ok, now explain your motivation.