latest version causing overwrites instead of warning

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
sanjonny

latest version causing overwrites instead of warning

Post by sanjonny »

Just downloaded the update today and had a couple of instances where if a file already exists and the renaming changes a different file to that file name, it either deletes one of the files in the renaming process (overwriting it).
For example, I was renaming some Krod mandoon episodes that were incorrectly numbered after pulling from dvd. In the renaming process, manually adjusting the names via the gui, when I hit rename, it basically overwrote the old file with the same name with the new file and the old file was (luckily) sent to the recycle bin.

In the past, there was a warning that the file already exists, which is a much better way to handle this than for the file to be overwritten without any warning or whatever. I had episodes one thru 6 and when renaming, in my instance episode 3 was renamed to the same as episode 5 which resulted (I think) in episode 5 being overwritten/recycled and then as a result there were only 5 files in the directory. It took a few double takes to figure out what was going on.
This was using windows 8 and a network server rename operation. Luckily, I could pull the files from the recycle bin and make a copy and was able to figure out via a couple trials what was going on.
rednoah
The Source

Re: latest version causing overwrites instead of warning

Post by rednoah »

Ah, I see the issue. Obviously file will be renamed one at a time so by the time it gets to rename "Whatever 1x02" it has already overridden it with the "Whatever 1x01" that gets processed first.

I'll have a look, maybe change it back for next version, lets see what people think. For now the people that wanted filebot to override old files automatically get theirs.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

It is a problem because it basically deletes the file that the 2nd file is renamed to, which i dont think anyone wants, but on the other hand i think it is prbably a step in the right direction for when you have a list of files and need to rename the list. Say you have episodes 1,3,4,5 and want to rename them 1,4,3,5 which i am sure what most people want without the same file already exists warning or having to delete from the GUI, but what this does is i think over write 4 with 3 and delete the second three so you end up with 1,4,..,5. I am not certain that is how it worked because it took me awhile to figure out what was going on, it might have instead done 1,3,4,5 to 1,3,..,5 depending on how it ordered it, but if it had the same name it essentially deleted one file. I guess said another way, say you have 1a,2b,3c,4d but they need to be named 1b,2a,2b,4b, you end up with 1b,.,2b,4b since when you overwrite 2b it essentially renames 2a to 2b and deletes 2b or something like that.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yeah, never thought of that. Well renamed files would always contain the title per episode while the original naming would never be the same as your cleaned up one. At least the title would be missing.

But this is a serious issue so with future updates I'll go back to not allowing renaming where files would get overridden. Can't be bothered by people that my want this feature in this case.
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

they might not have realized the consequences. thinking about it, i can see how it is a problem because you either have them overwrite, which has this problem, or you have to come up with a complex renaming thing to prevent losing files (ordered renaming or transitional names or something like that). I do kinda remember something we did heck 20 or more years ago to get around this issue in a completely different , maybe unix environment, but what we did was rename everything to something else and then back to the correct name. So 1,2,3,4 becomes temp1,temp2.temp3,temp4 and then those get renamed to 1,4,3,2 so there is no lost files and you can get around renaming/same file dilemnas. Don't know if it is worth all that in filebot to go to those lengths or what other issues would happen as a result.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yeah, obviously If you wanna rename A->B and B->A at the same time there's gotta be a temporary file C at some point. It'd be a lot of extra work for almost no benefit.

In anycase, can't let noobs override their stuff (in the GUI anyway) so I'll add that check again and not let people override files.
sanjonny

Post by sanjonny »

you are bringing back my xbox halo 2 days! Quick, everyone run for the rocket launchers.....
ryan6608

Post by ryan6608 »

This just caught me off guard. I had a season that was already renamed to the format I use with FileBot, but I somehow got the episodes out of order. I figured I'd use FileBot to re-order the files, but ended up deleting a few episodes instead.

Imagine trying to re-order episodes where 2 >> 3, 3 >> 4, 4>> 5. By the time it finishes, you'll have deleted almost everything. I'll add a vote for having it warn :-)