Dragging in another movie file - it clears the list ?

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
jddcef

Dragging in another movie file - it clears the list ?

Post by jddcef »

I might have done some work on matching names for a list of movies,
I then decide to drag another file in to add it to the list, to my suprise, it clears the entire list, which is loses all the work done already.
Is it possible to either warn the user, or show a different icon when dragging it in or show some visual change to the list to indicate that it will be wiped out? e.g. wipe the list while I'm dragging so that I can cancel the drag action.
rednoah
The Source

Re: Dragging in another movie file - it clears the list ?

Post by rednoah »

Well, that's kinda how it works already.

:idea: If you see the add-drop modifier, then it's going to add things to the list. If you see the move-drop modifier (i.e. no modifier on most operating systems) then it's going to replace the list.

:idea: By default, you're using move-drop, but if you hold the appropriate modifier key, the cursor will change to add-drop or link-drop and show some sort of + sign.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

Sure, but on Windows it's not that clear, and not really what I expect as Default behaviour - it shouldn't hurt to make it more explicit, if possible. Cheers
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

I've double-checked on my Windows 10 machine, and it says ➔ Move next to the cursor, clearly indicating a move-drop is going to happen if you drop.

Well, in any case, not much I can do about the default cursor icons on each platform. FileBot just tells the OS which drop actions are acceptable, and then the OS decides what cursors and modifiers to display.
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

A lot of work can be lost by clearing the list, but no work can be lost by ADDING it by default instead of "Move", so it seems like a clear win-win situation. But it isn't a Move either really as the name "suggests", because nothing moves when doing that action, it's more like a "Start a new list, and clear all previous work"...
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

jddcef wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 12:09 A lot of work can be lost by clearing the list, but no work can be lost by ADDING it by default instead of "Move", so it seems like a clear win-win situation.
add-drop is the default, if move-drop is not acceptable. Actually, I faintly remember that add-drop was the one and only acceptable drop-action in the past, many years ago. But it really messes with peoples workflow (the ones that do lots of rename batches, often with some clutter files remaining in the list) and by enabling move-drop to do a clear+add that automatically becomes the default.

I can only make add-drop default by completely disabling move-drop, which is a very bad deal. If I enable both, then both work, and add-drop is only ever a super efficient HOLD SHIFT away for users that do use that alot.

If you do accidentally clear the list, then that's just a "we live and learn" kinda mistake, it might happen once, but then you know how it works, and it won't happen again, so I'm not inclined to optimize the GUI for a first-time user to the detriment of a long-term user.

jddcef wrote: 28 Aug 2019, 12:09 But it isn't a Move either really as the name "suggests", because nothing moves when doing that action, it's more like a "Start a new list, and clear all previous work"...
A fair point. I'd set the label if I could. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything in the DnD API that would allow me to change the default DnD icons and labels.
Wolfie

Post by Wolfie »

Add an option? "Drag & Drop behavior: Append to current list/Start new list" Make modifier do the opposite action of the chosen primary action.

Either that or have a pop-up that warns of clearing the current list, with options of "Cancel," "Continue," and a button attached to "Continue" that says "No more warnings this session." Session being until that FileBot instance is closed. If someone likes being warned so they don't do it by mistake, they leave it on. If it's someone doing it on purpose, they can temporarily disable the warnings.