When matching file names - why isn't the title meta tag used as a hint?

All your suggestions, requests and ideas for future development
jddcef

When matching file names - why isn't the title meta tag used as a hint?

Post by jddcef »

I had a file with a random name that had a perfect Title tag embedded in it, which would have identified the movie, but fileBot asks me if it's one of two movies which aren't even nearly related.

Shouldn't it consider the meta data to figure out the movie name when matching online?
rednoah
The Source

Re: When matching file names - why isn't the title meta tag used as a hint?

Post by rednoah »

Not particularly, because it's usually useless, and sometimes even misleading, in which case you can't do anything about it because it's embedded in the file and not editable, assuming you even figure out that bad metadata is at fault in the first place.

It's trivial the other way around though, if you can assume that file names are bad and title tags are good. Just pre-process the files and rename them according to the media title tag first, and the match against against TheTVDB / TheMovieDb in a second pass. ;)

e.g.

Code: Select all

$ filebot -rename -r *.mkv --db file --file-filter mediaTitle --format "{mediaTitle}"
Rename files using [Plain File]
[MOVE] from [Babylon.5.S04E22.mkv] to [bab4d6-VTS_01_0-PGC3.mkv]
Processed 1 files
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2072
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

I see what you mean.
Couldn't filebot use the title tag to make suggestions over and above the file name suggestions?
I.e. the list of suggestions can get longer, one can just scroll down.

This brings me to another related suggestion:

The page that shows the suggested name matches, most times there are movies with same name or similar and over different years. Couldn't FileBot show some more info about each suggestion, I see there is a mouse over, but couldn't the tip show all the info available, like main actors, genre etc so that I can tell if it's the right movie.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

If you provide sample files (a few MB is enough, the metadata counts) then I could add them to my test data set and perhaps make things work better.

Newer revisions of FileBot include poster thumbnails.

:idea: Showing full metadata by default is not ideal, because it would take at least 2-3 seconds to fetch for each movie option. Which means you either have to wait for it when fetching on selection, or FileBot has to pre-fetch which means you might have to wait an extra ~30 seconds, possibly minutes, for each selection dialog, which is also not ideal either, and since you rarely actually need that extra information, it's a waste of your time and 3rd party API resources most of the time.
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

1. Here is a sample file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtntNNCW_WJ0iIxA7jT ... g?e=yov90I

2. I see, poster thumbnails are from another source different to the metadata - like, they won't suffer the same problem?
I understand what you mean by the performance, ja it's too intensive, a better option would have it a manual option, i.e. have a button somewhere or somewhere where we can click something to say, get more info or such, then it can load, because it's not necessary for every result, only for rare ones, so the option to get info would be nice.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Thanks, I'll run a few tests. I've never seen nicely title tagged files like this before:

Code: Select all

Assassin's Creed (2016) 720p BrRip x264 - VPPV

:idea: In this case, the media title is quite obviously a much better source of information than the file name. I'll make sure the check the title tag if the name is obviously no good in upcoming revisions.

:idea: In the meanwhile, pre-renaming with -rename --db file --format {mediaTitle} should get the job done.

:idea: You might like to try the latest beta for some of these quality of live improvements: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1609
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

FIXED: r6672 and above will now use the media title tag as hint.
Liquidbings

Post by Liquidbings »

rednoah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 06:04 FIXED: r6672 and above will now use the media title tag as hint.
Just wanted to give a thanks for being so on top of things and just being so into making this the best it could possibly be!

You're top level and it shows!
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Liquidbings wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 01:31
rednoah wrote: 01 Sep 2019, 06:04 FIXED: r6672 and above will now use the media title tag as hint.
Just wanted to give a thanks for being so on top of things and just being so into making this the best it could possibly be!

You're top level and it shows!
Much appreciated. Always a pleasure when users do notice the extra developer love here and there. :ugeek:

As part of this general topic, I've also added the -no-probe option to generally disable any kind of media parsing for users that might be negative affected buy this change (e.g. remote network share) which now makes it easier for me to do all kinds of media info parsing by default, because it can now be disabled as well as desired. :mrgreen:

PS: Bug reports and feature requests by end users do also immensely to make this the best it can be. So your time in getting back to me is noticed and appreciated. :)
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

1. I like the poster thumbnail, nice touch.
Is there no way to zoom it on when clicking on it or hovering over it?

2. In the hover-over info which shows up when choosing a match, could you display the file's modified and created date please? Because sometimes with movies of the same title, but from different years, it's not easy to always know which year it is, but if I see a modified date that is before the year of a newer title, then I can tell if it's older than that date or not, because the file couldn't have been created before the movie was released, so it would help.

p.s. thanks for the appreciation, it is tiring and frustrating to have to report issues to software developers, especially when it's not simple. But you are doing a good job in replying and noticing everything that everyone is saying, congrats.
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Sorry, only 48x48 thumbnail images are available. Creating an additional mirror for originals or larger size posters is not planned for now.

I see your point. But it seems a different approach to using FileBot altogether would be more suitable here. In particular, you're not supposed to make a selection if the answer isn't immediately obvious, and click the Ignore button instead. That way you can easily process everything that you can easily process in a first pass, and the handful of tricky ones that remain in the list and in their original folders after hitting Rename can then be handled with more care and preparation in a second pass.

Alternatively, you can just always auto-select the first / best result, i.e. never make any selection at all in the first pass, and then delete rows you're unsure about when you're confirming matches before hitting Rename.

:idea: viewtopic.php?t=4695
jddcef

Post by jddcef »

Sure, thanks, I understand what you're saying about doing things in stages, makes sense.

Just a small suggestion regarding the dates, could the top suggested movie NOT be a movie that is NEWER than the file modified date itself? e.g. file modified in 2010, suggested movie is 2019. Not the best match when there are two movies with the same name but different years. But I would save time if the mouse-hover-over popup showed the file's date so I don't have to go find the file on the disk. ALTERNATIVELY, couldn't you have a way to get straight to the source file? e.g. I have to manually browse for it even though the path is known in the app on the "Failed to identify some of the following files".

Thanks
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

This metric could be included.

:idea: The Last-Modified date is generally not used, since it's arbitrary. You can set it. Software can set it. It's usually the time stamp for when the file was last copied, and most often unrelated to the actual movie release date. You're the first person to ask for this AFAIK, but if it comes up a few times, then I'll consider adding support.

:idea: This metric is already considered, in that FileBot is reading the MediaInfo Encoding_Date field from the media file itself and heavily de-prioritizes files that have been encoded years before the movie release date. The Encoding_Date information is generally only available for MKV / MP4 files though. Are you primarily dealing with AVI files? What does the Encoding_Date field say for some of the files that don't work correctly?

:idea: Sample files and use cases (i.e. sample files & file names & expected naming) would be appreciated, so I can add them to my test data set, and subsequently improve support for your particular use case.