Filebot Node doesn't start after a clean install of DSM on Synology

Support for Synology NAS, QNAP NAS and other Embedded Linux systems
trininja

Filebot Node doesn't start after a clean install of DSM on Synology

Post by trininja »

Since I had some serious problems with my Java install and other issues with my Synology, I decided to do a system partition reset and start over. Fresh base, new installed DSM, no clutter and experiments.

My order of installation is easy:
DSM -> Java8 (And updated to latest JDK 221) -> Node v8 -> FileBot -> FileBot Node -> MediaInfo -> ffmpeg -> chromaprint -> Some other stuff like PHP, Perl, PerlFix, Mediaserver, Audiostation, CMS and Cloudstation Sync. Nothing more, nothing less.

Checked console in terminal after some settings done. filebot -version looked good this time, -script fn:sysinfo made me cheer, because this time everything was lit green (Or stated Ok ;)).

Pressed the Filebot Node icon in my DSM and...

It was puzzling me, checked my other Synology, where I didn't do a clean start and that was overloaded with everything you can imagine from the package center, but Java8, Node v8 FileBot and so on is the same...even the DSM Version is the same and both are Intel CPUs...but on the other DS everything is smooth and running even when I messed up there a lot with opkg (Entware) and playing god with sudo -i and rm -rf to Chuck Norris out some messed up Java installations.

Code: Select all

filebot -script fn:sysinfo
FileBot 4.8.5 (r6224)
JNA Native: 5.2.2
MediaInfo: 19.04
7-Zip-JBinding: 9.20
Chromaprint: fpcalc version 1.4.3
Extended Attributes: OK
Unicode Filesystem: OK
Script Bundle: 2019-05-15 (r565)
Groovy: 2.5.6
JRE: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 1.8.0_221
JVM: 64-bit Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
CPU/MEM: 4 Core / 239 MB Max Memory / 14 MB Used Memory
HW: Linux MasterStore 3.10.105 #24922 SMP Wed Jul 3 16:35:48 CST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux synology_cedarview_1812+
DATA: /volume1/@appstore/filebot/data/admin
Package: SPK
License: FileBot License P9671722 (Valid-Until: 2020-10-14)
Done ヾ(@⌒ー⌒@)ノ
trininja

Re: Filebot Node doesn't start after a clean install of DSM on Synology

Post by trininja »

Okay, it gets worse and worse. I managed to get rid of that error (Sometimes a simple reboot helps.). Than the java not found in line 67 error came up. I did uninstall the Synology Java 8 with the most actual JDK (221) that got correct identified in the CLI (See the post above.) as mentioned in other posts and installed your Java package from the center. Rebooted. Just to be save. And now I get Groovy error and node /CLI do not work anymore. Come on, I sit here since 18 hours now, trying to fix this install and Java problem on this Synology with FileBot to get this running with MediaInfo...I literally cry....I haven't slept for 2 days now, drank 4 litres of coffe smoked 2 packs cigarettes and I can't get this damn thing to work even after a fresh reset of the DSM with the chance to lose all my data... (It's hard to find 18TB of spare diskspace somewhere to save everything for the rare case the DSM reset fails and results in a volume loss.)

Code: Select all

Locking /usr/local/filebot-node/data/filebot.log
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v7.Java7$1 (file:/volume1/@appstore/filebot/jar/groovy.jar) to constructor java.lang.invoke.MethodHandles$Lookup(java.lang.Class,int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.codehaus.groovy.vmplugin.v7.Java7$1
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
BUG! exception in phase 'semantic analysis' in source unit 'Script1.groovy' Unsupported class file major version 57
BUG! exception in phase 'semantic analysis' in source unit 'Script1.groovy' Unsupported class file major version 57
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.evaluate(ScriptShell.java:64)
	at net.filebot.cli.ScriptShell.runScript(ScriptShell.java:74)
	at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.runScript(ArgumentProcessor.java:163)
	at net.filebot.cli.ArgumentProcessor.run(ArgumentProcessor.java:37)
	at net.filebot.Main.main(Main.java:132)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unsupported class file major version 57
	at groovyjarjarasm.asm.ClassReader.<init>(ClassReader.java:184)
	at groovyjarjarasm.asm.ClassReader.<init>(ClassReader.java:166)
	at groovyjarjarasm.asm.ClassReader.<init>(ClassReader.java:152)
	at groovyjarjarasm.asm.ClassReader.<init>(ClassReader.java:273)
	... 5 more

Error (o_O)
------------------------------------------

jaysonpriest

Post by jaysonpriest »

I am having the same issue. Have removed filebot, filebot node , Java and Node.js and installed all via packages centre (using rednoah package source). All to no avail and the same issues. I can only assume that a synology software update has caused this issue, but I am unaware of what. Any help will be greatly welcomed!
trininja

Post by trininja »

@jaysonpriest

Okay, I fixed it with some research or better with some reading further. There are only 2 posts about this actually and only one with the solution.

Syno Java = No go.
rednoah Java = Way to go, but the actual version upgrades you to Java13 and the actual package via the package center from Filebot doesn't work with that Java version.

Solution: Manual install the newest FileBot BETA .spk from here: https://get.filebot.net/filebot/BETA/ after you installed rednoah's Java installer. and Node vs8 from Synology. Only drawback it seems is that I have to manual start JDownloader 2 BETA now after a reboot. Well, there is always one death you have to die. ;)
jaysonpriest

Post by jaysonpriest »

@trininja thank you so much. I looked through for multiple solutions, but the one you found and suggested did the trick, thanks again :-)
rednoah
The Source

Post by rednoah »

Yep, to summarize:

1. Synology Java installer doesn't work correctly (i.e. doesn't link itself into /usr/local/bin so the java command won't work)
2. The Java Installer package is only able to download and install the latest binaries (i.e. currently Java 13)
3. FileBot 4.8.5 requires Java 8, is compatible with Java 9 / 11 / 12, but not forwards-compatible with Java 13.
4. FileBot 4.8.6 (currently in beta) requires Java 11 and is compatible with Java 12 / 13, but may not necessarily be forwards-compatible with future Java releases (though likely it will).

Bad timing. It'll work out of the box a few months down the line. But things are somewhat tricky in in-between times.
:idea: Please read the FAQ and How to Request Help.
trininja

Post by trininja »

And when you are in a bad shape like I was where no way was able to fix the JNA and Java installation, you have to reset your Synology and stumble upon this. :)

Great way to grow greay hair... ;)